Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,011 Members 48,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Really unhappy with Nexus 4 (warning: rant)

Tip us?
 
fenstre
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 471
Posts: 1,046
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Really unhappy with Nexus 4 (warning: rant)

This feeling isn't new--I've been unhappy with the Nexus 4 since it arrived. It's the only phone I've ever owned that I would call "beautiful", but its design, hardware, and low-level software problems are ridiculous. But I'm not going to talk about muted speakers, phone sliding off surfaces, 3G or Wifi problems, or batteries that won't charge. I'd like to tell you about the power button.

My power button got harder and harder to press over time, eventually becoming completely impossible. The repair was cheap. But what makes me so angry is that though I never got my phone wet, the button was corroded by water.

How did this problem occur? I live in a warm and humid climate. I keep the phone in my pocket. In the gym, I took precautions (using a case and turning the open part of the case *away* from my body). But as many of you know, the Nexus 4 gets ridiculously hot, especially gaming (or when using GPU+gps+data at the same time). It was basically impossible not to sweat on this phone. And it broke as a result.

In short, LG and Google designed a phone that makes its users really hot, yet corrodes and fails if you keep it in a sweaty pocket.
If I helped, click Thanks!
 
wulsic
Old
#2  
wulsic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 664
Posts: 851
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nijmegen
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
This feeling isn't new--I've been unhappy with the Nexus 4 since it arrived. It's the only phone I've ever owned that I would call "beautiful", but its design, hardware, and low-level software problems are ridiculous. But I'm not going to talk about muted speakers, phone sliding off surfaces, 3G or Wifi problems, or batteries that won't charge. I'd like to tell you about the power button.

My power button got harder and harder to press over time, eventually becoming completely impossible. The repair was cheap. But what makes me so angry is that though I never got my phone wet, the button was corroded by water.

How did this problem occur? I live in a warm and humid climate. I keep the phone in my pocket. In the gym, I took precautions (using a case and turning the open part of the case *away* from my body). But as many of you know, the Nexus 4 gets ridiculously hot, especially gaming (or when using GPU+gps+data at the same time). It was basically impossible not to sweat on this phone. And it broke as a result.

In short, LG and Google designed a phone that makes its users really hot, yet corrodes and fails if you keep it in a sweaty pocket.
Yeah i expected also when i bought the nexus 4 that everything would be good since google make the system for nexus 4 but my problem was that wifi was really bad and the phone was slippery but i fixed that with an anti slip protector for the back. I also have the first revision of nexus 4 and i don't have too much trouble. The button can get corroded by water if its humid or if its really cold and laying by the window (noticed that with my tablet) that the battery won't charge could aoso be the usb port. Gaming goes also hot with gps and data but then you need to try an custom rom with HellsDoctor or Hellscore they keep it pretty cool all the time and good battery usage.
I agree with you That lg and google designed a phone that makes it users really hot cause even on stock normal browsing made my phone really hot. I just hope that google will fix all those software problems with 4.4.3 or even 5. And is your phone now broken?
Devices History
Htc Elf-Htc Google Nexus One-LG Optimus 2X-Samsung Galaxy S2-LG Nexus4

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
"The greatest ideas are the simplest." William Golding
"Simplicity is the art of maximizing the amount of work not done." - Agile Manifesto
"Simplicity is the way a human/developer should think to easily solve problems." - Wulsic

My Work So far
 
NEXUSg4
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 81
Join Date: Mar 2014
Unhappy broken back

The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.
 
nedooo
Old
#4  
nedooo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 275
Posts: 1,189
Join Date: Dec 2010
Errr...what did you expect, that quad core CPU and rather powerful GPU cranked in small phone body will be cold on heavy usage???
Slippery??? Someone pinch me is this a dream...am I in wonderland
Keep electric device in humid environment and it corrodes...wow...water is wet imagine that LOL
I mean you can be disappointed...but your arguments are out of this world
Thanks for making me laugh
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nedooo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cyberon
Old
#5  
cyberon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 158
Posts: 822
Join Date: Jan 2010
What tha...!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Sent from my Nexus One, Nexus 4 or Nexus 7
Like my posts, hit the "thanks" button.
 
nedooo
Old
#6  
nedooo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 275
Posts: 1,189
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUSg4 View Post
The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.

Anything on this planet can be cracked...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nedooo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dark Emotion
Old
(Last edited by Dark Emotion; 27th April 2014 at 08:54 PM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,199
Posts: 1,814
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zagreb

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUSg4 View Post
The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.
Nope, my N4 is still without scratch after 10 months. Never dropped it.

Talking about problems that this device "have", I had few android phones and with every phone there were some problems. There is no phone on this planet that is perfect so it is either live with that or just don't buy smartphones (or any other phones).

HTC Hero GSM > Samsung Galaxy SII i9100 > Google Nexus 4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Emotion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
NEXUSg4
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 81
Join Date: Mar 2014
Great for you.. Though cracked I love this phone
 
user822
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 121
Join Date: Apr 2013
Well this probablly a 1/100000 case.
Realistic way of solving: Don't drive up design costs for any unprobable usages losing millions of potential customers
 
fenstre
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 471
Posts: 1,046
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedooo View Post
Errr...what did you expect, that quad core CPU and rather powerful GPU cranked in small phone body will be cold on heavy usage???
Keep electric device in humid environment and it corrodes...wow...water is wet imagine that LOL
Where is your ambition, and how can you be satisfied with such pathetic design problems? Certainly they are difficult problems, but other manufacturers have managed to solve them. Have you never used a HTC or Samsung? My HTC doesn't overheat to that degree, even though it has an extremely conductive metal body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user822 View Post
Well this probablly a 1/100000 case.
Realistic way of solving: Don't drive up design costs for any unprobable usages losing millions of potential customers
Everyone that runs or works out. Everyone that lives in a hot and humid environment. I guess this won't be a problem for you are always inside your home/car/office and drive everywhere. BTW, did you notice Google made a rather good game called Ingress, which encourages you to get outside? I recommend giving it a try.
If I helped, click Thanks!

Tags
rant hardware heat powerbutton
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes