Thread Closed

Really unhappy with Nexus 4 (warning: rant)

OP fenstre

27th April 2014, 11:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 472

1,046 posts
This feeling isn't new--I've been unhappy with the Nexus 4 since it arrived. It's the only phone I've ever owned that I would call "beautiful", but its design, hardware, and low-level software problems are ridiculous. But I'm not going to talk about muted speakers, phone sliding off surfaces, 3G or Wifi problems, or batteries that won't charge. I'd like to tell you about the power button.

My power button got harder and harder to press over time, eventually becoming completely impossible. The repair was cheap. But what makes me so angry is that though I never got my phone wet, the button was corroded by water.

How did this problem occur? I live in a warm and humid climate. I keep the phone in my pocket. In the gym, I took precautions (using a case and turning the open part of the case *away* from my body). But as many of you know, the Nexus 4 gets ridiculously hot, especially gaming (or when using GPU+gps+data at the same time). It was basically impossible not to sweat on this phone. And it broke as a result.

In short, LG and Google designed a phone that makes its users really hot, yet corrodes and fails if you keep it in a sweaty pocket.
27th April 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 838

1,130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre

This feeling isn't new--I've been unhappy with the Nexus 4 since it arrived. It's the only phone I've ever owned that I would call "beautiful", but its design, hardware, and low-level software problems are ridiculous. But I'm not going to talk about muted speakers, phone sliding off surfaces, 3G or Wifi problems, or batteries that won't charge. I'd like to tell you about the power button.

My power button got harder and harder to press over time, eventually becoming completely impossible. The repair was cheap. But what makes me so angry is that though I never got my phone wet, the button was corroded by water.

How did this problem occur? I live in a warm and humid climate. I keep the phone in my pocket. In the gym, I took precautions (using a case and turning the open part of the case *away* from my body). But as many of you know, the Nexus 4 gets ridiculously hot, especially gaming (or when using GPU+gps+data at the same time). It was basically impossible not to sweat on this phone. And it broke as a result.

In short, LG and Google designed a phone that makes its users really hot, yet corrodes and fails if you keep it in a sweaty pocket.

Yeah i expected also when i bought the nexus 4 that everything would be good since google make the system for nexus 4 but my problem was that wifi was really bad and the phone was slippery but i fixed that with an anti slip protector for the back. I also have the first revision of nexus 4 and i don't have too much trouble. The button can get corroded by water if its humid or if its really cold and laying by the window (noticed that with my tablet) that the battery won't charge could aoso be the usb port. Gaming goes also hot with gps and data but then you need to try an custom rom with HellsDoctor or Hellscore they keep it pretty cool all the time and good battery usage.
I agree with you That lg and google designed a phone that makes it users really hot cause even on stock normal browsing made my phone really hot. I just hope that google will fix all those software problems with 4.4.3 or even 5. And is your phone now broken?
27th April 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 27

94 posts
More
Unhappy broken back
The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.
27th April 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 287

1,265 posts
Errr...what did you expect, that quad core CPU and rather powerful GPU cranked in small phone body will be cold on heavy usage???
Slippery??? Someone pinch me is this a dream...am I in wonderland
Keep electric device in humid environment and it corrodes...wow...water is wet imagine that LOL
I mean you can be disappointed...but your arguments are out of this world
Thanks for making me laugh
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nedooo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 08:40 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 176

844 posts
More
What tha...!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
27th April 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 287

1,265 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUSg4

The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.

Anything on this planet can be cracked...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nedooo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #7  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 1,215

1,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUSg4

Nope, my N4 is still without scratch after 10 months. Never dropped it.

Talking about problems that this device "have", I had few android phones and with every phone there were some problems. There is no phone on this planet that is perfect so it is either live with that or just don't buy smartphones (or any other phones).
Last edited by Dark Emotion; 27th April 2014 at 08:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Emotion For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 27

94 posts
More
Great for you.. Though cracked I love this phone
27th April 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 50

152 posts
Well this probablly a 1/100000 case.
Realistic way of solving: Don't drive up design costs for any unprobable usages losing millions of potential customers
28th April 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 472

1,046 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedooo

Errr...what did you expect, that quad core CPU and rather powerful GPU cranked in small phone body will be cold on heavy usage???
Keep electric device in humid environment and it corrodes...wow...water is wet imagine that LOL

Where is your ambition, and how can you be satisfied with such pathetic design problems? Certainly they are difficult problems, but other manufacturers have managed to solve them. Have you never used a HTC or Samsung? My HTC doesn't overheat to that degree, even though it has an extremely conductive metal body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user822

Well this probablly a 1/100000 case.
Realistic way of solving: Don't drive up design costs for any unprobable usages losing millions of potential customers

Everyone that runs or works out. Everyone that lives in a hot and humid environment. I guess this won't be a problem for you are always inside your home/car/office and drive everywhere. BTW, did you notice Google made a rather good game called Ingress, which encourages you to get outside? I recommend giving it a try.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rant hardware heat powerbutton
Previous Thread Next Thread