Sailfish OS coming soon... More info + videos Update 27/02/2014

Search This thread

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
After watching the amazing video of Nexus 4 running Sailfish OS I think we should try it on our devices.
It was running flawlessly even if it was the Alpha version but it seems it has no bugs.

Hope the developers gives us the Flashable links soon really want to try out this new OS.

It's not really a "new" operating system. It's a continuation of MeeGo, which is older than Android, actually. Also, I've not seen too many apps running on it, so how could you say it seems to have no bugs? Most of the reviews just keep showing Ambiance, which is frankly boring. Windows Phones have had basically this same feature since release.

I think the real excitement in Sailfish OS is the support for "Other Half" hardware on devices. Whether Jolla keeps this proprietary or not has yet to be revealed.

akshayguptaus

Jul 20, 2013
Android City
It's not really a "new" operating system. It's a continuation of MeeGo, which is older than Android, actually. Also, I've not seen too many apps running on it, so how could you say it seems to have no bugs? Most of the reviews just keep showing Ambiance, which is frankly boring. Windows Phones have had basically this same feature since release.

I think the real excitement in Sailfish OS is the support for "Other Half" hardware on devices. Whether Jolla keeps this proprietary or not has yet to be revealed.

Dude if people don't start using the os how will it have the required apps. Most of the people here haven't even used meego. It is actually very different from. Its different and looks nice. And well anything new for the nexus is always welcome.

Enjoy it or atleast stay away from it if you don't like it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: zakk87

22sl22

May 21, 2012
London
New video of the Nexus 4 running on Sailfish from MWC.

Thanks for that, I will add it to the first post :good:

More news, from official blog, another demo video

Last month, Sledges uploaded a video showing the Nexus 4 running the Sailfish OS . The video only shows the installation process of the os. He uploaded another video this time he demonstrated some features like creating ambience etc. Watch the video below

http://thejollablog.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/sailfish-os-ported-to-nexus-4-part-2/

Also from the video:

If you're interested, sign up to be an early adopter by joining #sailfishos on irc.freenode.net

No sign of anything to download yet though

carepack

Sep 21, 2010
Thanks for telling me

yes, but for not officially supported devices (vendor blobs are missing nexus 4 for example) they are working with an android base, libhybris compatibility layer and mer project / wayland on top. when you watch the jolla nexus 4 video you can see that they first flash a patched cm 10.2 version. then a second zip.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Jolla is busy testing Sailfish OS for our device, see here, it looks promising:

http://thejollablog.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/watch-sailfish-os-ported-to-nexus-4/

Screenshots:

savedpicture-201412220525.png
    savedpicture-2014122205212.png
    savedpicture-2014122205218.png
    savedpicture-2014122205225.png

In the video it shows cm 10.1.3 being flashed in CWM first before a custom sailfish cm 10.1.3. This means that Sailfish will be 4.2.2 Android Jelly Bean, not Kit Kat. Also, Sailfish does not have access to the Play Store but I think once released, if Gapps are flashed it should work, in a similar way to how MIUI works as miui does not have access to the play store but flashing gapps does allow it. Furthermore, SU zip may work when released because it is Cyanogenmod based.

One last thing, from what I can see, there will be no softkeys, it is gesture based but if root works properly then pie and other mods might work (just guessing)

A blog noted the following from the video:

We are not sure what’s working or what doesn’t work yet. All we know is that the battery percentage is shown 0% and that normally means that we are in a very early stage. Also the antenna bar is empty but maybe there’s no SIM card inside.
    There is also a slight bug with the notification area, which will be fixed with a resolution match.

Update 27/02/2014

Last month, Sledges uploaded a video showing the Nexus 4 running the Sailfish OS . The video only shows the installation process of the os. He uploaded another video this time he demonstrated some features like creating ambience etc. Watch the video below

http://thejollablog.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/sailfish-os-ported-to-nexus-4-part-2/

Also from the video:

If you're interested, sign up to be an early adopter by joining #sailfishos on irc.freenode.net

Also a demo from MWC for the Nexus 4 running sailfish os

Sources:
    https://thejollablog.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/watch-sailfish-os-ported-to-nexus-4/
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/nexus-4-can-rock-the-sailfish-os/

Thanks for that, I will add it to the first post :good:

Also from the video:

No sign of anything to download yet though
    it appeared on Drippler and I came running to XDA to see if the port was released for testing, let's wait, I guess :rolleyes:

It's still in alpha testing but i'm hoping for a leak

Some more info I picked up from another blog:

We are not sure what’s working or what doesn’t work yet. All we know is that the battery percentage is shown 0% and that normally means that we are in a very early stage. Also the antenna bar is empty but maybe there’s no SIM card inside.
    There is also a slight bug with the notification area, which will be fixed with a resolution match.

Also, added screenshots to first post that I found online (probably from the video but I just put it there anyway) :good:
    I'm really confused about all this:

Is this again a heavily modified Android just like Firefox OS and Ubuntu and the OS found on Kindles?

What's the need if we have top notch custom ROMs like CM and wouldn't it be illogical to run an OS which doesn't have a native android app runtime thereby framerate drops, etc.?

Please correct me.
    Why is it illogical to run a new OS on a phone? From a developer's standpoint, it highlights the flexibility of the Sailfish OS being able to run on devices that it wasn't officially released with, which is great for competition in the OS field.