5,593,401 Members 36,483 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Nexus 4 Information Survey Thing!
Backorder and no shipping 258 38.91%
Backorder and shipping/shipped 57 8.60%
No backorder and no shipping 234 35.29%
No backorder and shipping/shipped 114 17.19%
Voters: 663. You may not vote on this poll

UK thread - Contracts, news, information, etc.

Tip us?

TeRRa4
Old
(Last edited by TeRRa4; 22nd April 2013 at 02:39 PM.) Reason: Updated informational tables and basic info again.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Phone UK thread - Contracts, news, information, etc.

Welcome to the UK Nexus 4 thread on XDA Developers

CONTRACT PRICE COMPARISON
As is the norm, many of you are planning on obtaining the device SIM-free and unlocked for as little as possible. You may also be considering searching for a good value-for-money SIM-only contract. Here is a handy chart to help make your decision. If you need more information on the individual contracts, check the network's website.

If you're planning on going with 3/Three for the first time, be sure to check out Quidco's deals (thanks Turbotab) and TopCashBack's deals (thanks Azza_1) for added cashback and, technically, money off.

If contracts aren't your thing you can always go for a decent giffgaff goodybag. Giffgaff uses O2's network and masts for signal so you know you'll get a decent amount of coverage.

RETAIL SIM-FREE PURCHASING GUIDE

RETAIL CONTRACT PURCHASING GUIDE

NOTICES
  • If ordered from Play, TNT will be delivering your Nexus devices. When entering the tracking number on TNT's site, remember to track as a reference number, not a consignment number.
  • The Nexus 4 is currently in stock on Google Play. This will forever be the best place to buy the phone, provided you can wait upto a week for its arrival. :P

DETAILS
  • TNT do not do Saturday deliveries for the Nexus devices.
  • If you have multiple items in your order, Google will wait until they have both of those items in stock before they despatch your order.

PLEASE NOTE! ALL RETAIL NEXUS 4 "VARIATIONS" ARE IDENTICAL TO THE GOOGLE PLAY MODELS!
UNLOCKED, NO BRANDING, NO APPS, ETC. THIS WRITING IS BIG AND I HATE IT.

30/12/2012: I apologise for my inactivity in this thread. Lots has been going on in life and I just haven't thought to check here. I'll try to stay on top of this main post, but I doubt I'll be getting involved with thread conversations very often. If you need me to edit this in any way or you have any information that could be useful, please send me a PM.

22/04/2013: I would once again like to apologise for the lack of updates here. I have been busy doing university work, so I haven't had any time to update this until now. All the spreadsheet stuff has been updated.

TeRRa4.
Phone: Google Nexus 5 - D821, 100% Stock
Tablet: Asus Transformer Infinity - TF700T, CROMi-X 5.2.3 with Hunds Kernel
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to TeRRa4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vizzy
Old
Thanks Meter 367
Are they what the final contracts are ? Or just speculation at the moment ?

Sent from my vivo using Tapatalk 2

TeRRa4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizzy View Post
Are they what the final contracts are ? Or just speculation at the moment ?

Sent from my vivo using Tapatalk 2
It's what's listed on CPW. I'm not sure if these prices are increased because it's going through CPW and not directly through the network provider or if they're the prices O2 and Vodafone will be providing. However, O2 and Vodafone are the only networks currently providing information regarding contracts with the Nexus 4 included.

Michealtbh
Old
Thanks Meter 799
Giffgaff are raising their prices in a few days, now unlimited texts & data and 250 mins well be 12 a month. Still a great deal though.

You'd have to be insane to buy the N4 on one of those ridiculous contracts when it's so cheap sim free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michealtbh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ilukecurtis
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealtbh View Post
Giffgaff are raising their prices in a few days, now unlimited texts & data and 250 mins well be 12 a month. Still a great deal though.

You'd have to be insane to buy the N4 on one of those ridiculous contracts when it's so cheap sim free.
Very true, although there is still a 10 goodybag which is the same, only now it only has 1GB of data... (I say only, this is still ample amounts.)
The way I see it, why go contract on the N4, its like this phone is designed to be used on PAYG essentially. The network providers a really ripping the public off which their contracts, its disgusting.

TeRRa4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealtbh View Post

Yeah, I saw something about their goodybag changes.

Some people won't have the money upfront though, tempting them into a contract, sadly. I wanted to put that into perspective in the long-term.

ste1164
Old
Thanks Meter 299
Yea some people I know won't pay 279 upfront because its too much. But they would get it on contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E3SEL
Old
(Last edited by E3SEL; 5th November 2012 at 03:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I suggest buying outright if you can. 279 for phone + (12*24) for the 2 months = 567. Divide that buy 24 and you get 23.60 per month. For that you'll get 250 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, and unlimited minutes to other people on giff gaff. That's assuming you pay for giff gaff every month straight away, and with the 12 goody bag. You can also subtract costs for when you go on holiday, you wont have to continue paying, and other such things.

r0cafella
Old
Thanks Meter 294
The 3 options look good but i'm looking for a plan which includes unlimited tethering too. Seems almost impossible to find one though

TeRRa4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cafella View Post
The 3 options look good but i'm looking for a plan which includes unlimited tethering too. Seems almost impossible to find one though
3 don't charge for tethering, as far as I'm aware. I've never been charged for it, at least.

Tags
advice, carrier, network, official, united kingdom