Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 51,370 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Update 4.2.1

Tip us?

aznxk3vi17
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 918273645ams View Post
still no update >_<
Just flash the file in post #3.

Chochiwpg
Old
Thanks Meter 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by linelock View Post
Yes, but there is no need, at least with CWM as it gives you the option to preserve root.
Sweet thanks. I kind of want to keep the stock recovery for now, so I might just boot into CWM to flash the update instead of flashing CWM. Thanks for your help.
You Are Either Nexus Or Against Us

My Android File Host Profile
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=pr...17610006234125

SimpleAOSP Hammerhead Builds
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=16341

stuart0001
Old
Thanks Meter 1211

DONATE TO ME
Can anyone please check the following is fixed:

1. 4.2 update made the display colours paler/washed out. Does 4.2.1 change this at all?
2. 4.2 broke car mode meaning your car dock app didn't take over the default launcher whilst in car mode

Many thanks

tkm89
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dawg View Post
To clarify, after flashing the new OTA update through CWM, CWM notified you that root had broken and asked whether you wanted to restore it. You said yes, and it worked?

Sorry for the bluntness, I want to make sure we're on the same page here.
Correct. It gave me an option of keeping CWM Recovery and whether to keep root or not.

shojus
Old
Thanks Meter 396
So I have the update notification on my status bar and I downloaded rootkeeper so if I let it update on it's own will it work that way? Or should I just flash it through twrp? Thanks in advance!
Current Devices:

HTC One (M8) on Verizon **S-Off on ACR rom w/ CodeCraft 2.8 OC kernel**
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon ** Rooted w/Safestrap 3.72 recovery on leaked KitKat build**

** Donate to your favorite Devs! They have made your device worth using! **

soder
Old
Thanks Meter 111
I'm pretty new on being on stock ROM and I got some questions about this OTA or update.zip file.

I've rooted the rom, and also moved some apps to /system/app and also flashed TWRP recovery.

Can I install this update, or do I need to do something else? Like, flash back stock recovery? Does it work to have done some mods to /system if I only move back to stock recovery?

/Söder

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart0001 View Post
Can anyone please check the following is fixed:

1. 4.2 update made the display colours paler/washed out. Does 4.2.1 change this at all?
2. 4.2 broke car mode meaning your car dock app didn't take over the default launcher whilst in car mode

Many thanks
Are you talking about the Nexus 4? It shipped with 4.2 and had a small update afterwards. But I don't think the original update 4.2 changed anything with the colors.

italia0101
Old
Thanks Meter 864
Not sure if a placebo effect .. Or that I've gotten used to it m but my touch response seems better after 4.2.1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

CMNein
Old
Thanks Meter 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by soder View Post
I'm pretty new on being on stock ROM and I got some questions about this OTA or update.zip file.

I've rooted the rom, and also moved some apps to /system/app and also flashed TWRP recovery.

Can I install this update, or do I need to do something else? Like, flash back stock recovery? Does it work to have done some mods to /system if I only move back to stock recovery?

/Söder
It doesn't matter what you've moved to system, as long as you haven't removed/renamed any stock system files you're okay.

I had all pre-existing files intact in system so I passed assert. I sideloaded the zip however, so I had to reflash TWRP and SuperSU. I've seen other people report that CWM prompted them about whether they wanted to retain CWM vs the stock recovery +/- root (?).

Hammerhead / Flo / Mako / Maguro / Odroid U2
The Following User Says Thank You to CMNein For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stuart0001
Old
Thanks Meter 1211

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Are you talking about the Nexus 4? It shipped with 4.2 and had a small update afterwards. But I don't think the original update 4.2 changed anything with the colors.
Yes, the nexus 4 earlier ota degraded the display colour. See link below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinky1 View Post
http://db.tt/OQyLPrP8
Left - pre ota, right - Post ota. After quadrant they are in reverse. Forget about clarity, just look at the colours. Shot handheld with dslr, so a bit shaky.

Here's your proof that you can see with your eyes that it is ota.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart0001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]