Post Reply

Wifi network connectivity issues and a possible fix

OP bganley

2nd January 2013, 05:57 AM   |  #11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
How does this impact battery life e.g. will it cause wakeups when responding to broadcast/multicast requests?

Whilst my Nexus 4 seems to stop responding to pings when the screen is off I still seem to get notifications in a timely manner, even with mobile data turned off just to test
Last edited by defnz; 2nd January 2013 at 07:39 AM.
2nd January 2013, 01:01 PM   |  #12  
antih3ro's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
40 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
I flashed the n4-wifi-sleepfix-mcast_and_bcast.zip but the problem still exists. Gmail and whatsapp notification takes about 5 minutes...
2nd January 2013, 01:18 PM   |  #13  
floepie's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 372
 
1,760 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2006
More
How do the default settings on the N4 differ when it comes to this line in the INI when compared to other devices? Are other devices able to capture GMail messages almost instantly despite having a value of '3' in this line? I know that my One X was fantastic when it came to receiving messages quickly, whereas this N4 takes a long time to get messages.
2nd January 2013, 09:20 PM   |  #14  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 130
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by defnz

How does this impact battery life e.g. will it cause wakeups when responding to broadcast/multicast requests?

Whilst my Nexus 4 seems to stop responding to pings when the screen is off I still seem to get notifications in a timely manner, even with mobile data turned off just to test

I've been testing the battery life impact the last few days and so far it appears the ini file patch has an impact. This is expected as the phone now has to process incoming broadcast/multicast packets. With the patch applied, it appears to really aggravate the msm_hsic_host wakelock nonsense and in turn cause the phone to spend less time in deep sleep according to BBS. In my case, this hasn't resulted in that much of a difference in battery life but I'm continuing to monitor.

I did try out Franco's latest kernel as he has some patches for the wakelock issue and with his kernel there was a huge improvement in deep sleep time both with and without this patch applied. Battery usage per hour also improved from about 1.2% with the stock kernel to about 0.5% with Franco's kernel.

Interesting that you still receive notifications in a timely manner. What amount of time do you consider timely? For me, it was taking anywhere from instant notification (rare) to 15 minutes at the worst without this patch. What router do you use? Are you running any custom firmware on your router? Is your phone assigned a static or DHCP address? Are you using a static DHCP reservation for your phone?
2nd January 2013, 09:29 PM   |  #15  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 130
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by antih3ro

I flashed the n4-wifi-sleepfix-mcast_and_bcast.zip but the problem still exists. Gmail and whatsapp notification takes about 5 minutes...

Your sig says your are running CM? I'm not sure how this patch would work with that ROM. I've only tested with stock JOP40D.
2nd January 2013, 09:37 PM   |  #16  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 130
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie

How do the default settings on the N4 differ when it comes to this line in the INI when compared to other devices? Are other devices able to capture GMail messages almost instantly despite having a value of '3' in this line? I know that my One X was fantastic when it came to receiving messages quickly, whereas this N4 takes a long time to get messages.

The other devices I've looked at don't have the same wifi chip and therefore don't have this INI file. I did a bunch of testing with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 to try and determine how they were behaving in regards to multicast/broadcast traffic during sleep. I was able to show that both devices process and respond to both broadcast and multicast traffic during sleep.

This makes sense as certain network functions (such as ARP) rely on broadcast traffic. If a device isn't processing broadcast traffic, then those things break as we've seen with this phone.

I have a GNex, a N7, and an Atrix all running alongside the Nexus 4. All of those phones respond to incoming gmail notifications within seconds and now with this patch, so does my N4.
2nd January 2013, 11:06 PM   |  #17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
I've had the exact same issues with my nexus 4....thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
3rd January 2013, 02:19 AM   |  #18  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganley

Interesting that you still receive notifications in a timely manner. What amount of time do you consider timely? For me, it was taking anywhere from instant notification (rare) to 15 minutes at the worst without this patch. What router do you use? Are you running any custom firmware on your router? Is your phone assigned a static or DHCP address? Are you using a static DHCP reservation for your phone?

I've been doing comparisons with a SGS2 and sometimes the N4 receives it before the SGS2, sometimes after, it's anywhere from instant ~5 seconds for gmail, sometimes it can take longer but the delay is seen on both the N4 and the SGS2. However with gTalk its pretty much instant on both.

I'm running an Asus RT-N66U w/ Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.264.22 firmware
DHCP, no DHCP reservations, no static arp entry either

In saying that, I don't disagree with your findings though. The phone should have multicast/broadcast enabled so that it doesn't break things like ARP.
Last edited by defnz; 3rd January 2013 at 03:45 AM.
3rd January 2013, 10:05 AM   |  #19  
floepie's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 372
 
1,760 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2006
More
I'd like to get this to work, but unfortunately, things haven't changed a bit. Permissions are correct, rebooted, etc. I'm running DD-WRT and have reserved a static IP at the router by MAC association, which I do for everything on the network by the way. I've even changed DHCP to static on the device. Gmails show instantly at the PC, but appear up to 15 minutes later on the device. The device is ping-able when the screen is off.
3rd January 2013, 11:33 AM   |  #20  
mobilehavoc's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 302
 
2,061 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie

I'd like to get this to work, but unfortunately, things haven't changed a bit. Permissions are correct, rebooted, etc. I'm running DD-WRT and have reserved a static IP at the router by MAC association, which I do for everything on the network by the way. I've even changed DHCP to static on the device. Gmails show instantly at the PC, but appear up to 15 minutes later on the device. The device is ping-able when the screen is off.

Try changing to 0 so it is not filtering anything

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 4 General by ThreadRank