5,604,631 Members 39,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi network connectivity issues and a possible fix

Tip us?

wb86
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem. My Nexus disconnect from the Google server. I change the value from 3 to 0, but the problem is still there.
I contact the Google support: they will send me a new one. We will see...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

mobilehavoc
Old
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb86 View Post
I have the same problem. My Nexus disconnect from the Google server. I change the value from 3 to 0, but the problem is still there.
I contact the Google support: they will send me a new one. We will see...

Interesting, for me it fixed the issue of delays and disconnects but there's still a little lag. My Nexus 4 still takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 60 seconds to notify me of something compared to Nexus 7. It never takes longer than that though and I haven't seen gray signal bars since I changed the config.

Wanted to add that without changing anything my Nexus 4 worked perfectly on a dd-wrt router so there's something that dd-wrt does which doesn't require this change. However on my Cisco e4200 running stock fw I needed to make this change.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTC One - 2.17 Stock (4.2.2) || Nexus 4 - CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable ||

floepie
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
Try changing to 0 so it is not filtering anything

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, I have done that. But, still no luck. It's ping-able, so wifi connection is active while screen is off.

Incidentally, while not directly related, does anyone know what the settings "wifi optimization" does in the advanced wifi settings? Could this be related somehow?

defnz
Old
(Last edited by defnz; 3rd January 2013 at 10:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
I've submitted a bug request specifically for this issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=42272

I noticed that this thread is linked to https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=40065 however its full of idiots spamming

Hopefully with better information Google can at least consider my bug report

Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post
Yes, I have done that. But, still no luck. It's ping-able, so wifi connection is active while screen is off.

Incidentally, while not directly related, does anyone know what the settings "wifi optimization" does in the advanced wifi settings? Could this be related somehow?
What ROM are you running, are you running anything like juice defender or any other battery saving programs? I'd suggest resetting to stock, rooting, modifying the ini and trying again. With an active network connection there should be no reason why your Nexus 4 is delayed. Do you see the same delay when you disable wifi and running on mobile data?

Apparently wifi optimisation changes the DTIM client interval amongst other things, there's not much information on what it does really http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/g...xus-4-review/4
The Following User Says Thank You to defnz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

floepie
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by defnz View Post
What ROM are you running, are you running anything like juice defender or any other battery saving programs? I'd suggest resetting to stock, rooting, modifying the ini and trying again. With an active network connection there should be no reason why your Nexus 4 is delayed. Do you see the same delay when you disable wifi and running on mobile data?

Apparently wifi optimisation changes the DTIM client interval amongst other things, there's not much information on what it does really http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/g...xus-4-review/4
Running stock rooted. No battery saving programs. Long delays over wifi, much shorter delays over data network (usually within the minute). OK, thanks for the help so far. Hopefully we get this resolved, but this fix has NOT worked for my device. Has anyone been able to confirm if this is a router-specific problem in that the device is just way too sensitive to router protocols and/or various wireless variables?

defnz
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Someone earlier in the thread running DD-WRT doesn't have issues

The other option is to flash back stock on your router or try a different one

MonztA2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It looks like it fixed the issue for me. Thank you! It was driving me nuts.

floepie
Old
Thanks Meter 300
For those who have it working, could you try something for me? Make sure your wifi icon is blue and turn the screen off. Wait for about 5 minutes. Then, turn on the screen, and stare at the wifi icon. Does it turn gray after about 5 seconds and return to blue a few seconds thereafter? This is what mine does. While the screen is off, wifi is active and connected to the router, as shown by the router. But, when you turn on the screen, the device realizes that there is no working internet connection (icons turn gray) and works to restore it shortly after being unlocked. This clearly must be a bug of some sort.

MonztA2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Stays blue for me since flahsing the fix. Do you have that "wifi optimization" enabled?

wb86
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@floepi

same here