5,598,938 Members 30,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Art vs Dalvik?

Tip us?
 
Orry520
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 15
Join Date: Jul 2013
Default Art vs Dalvik?

What is Art? Is it risky to change to art in developer options?

Sent from my AOSP on Mako using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Orry520 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
siddjazz
Old
#2  
siddjazz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 290
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orry520 View Post
What is Art? Is it risky to change to art in developer options?

Sent from my AOSP on Mako using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...n-android-4-4/
 
luiseteyo
Old
#3  
luiseteyo's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2047
Posts: 2,190
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madrid
It's not risky, but you will have an eternal boot after rebooting, and the effect, nowadays is 0. Wait till future android releases, when ART will be improved.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The Following User Says Thank You to luiseteyo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TEW999
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiseteyo View Post
It's not risky, but you will have an eternal boot after rebooting, and the effect, nowadays is 0. Wait till future android releases, when ART will be improved.
I have a nexus 7 2013 and tried an alpja of android 4.4. Experimented with the ART option and my device did boot. Just had an awful lot of force closes. But the performanve difgerence on working apps is very impressive. I ran quadrant and my cpu score doubled
 
luiseteyo
Old
#5  
luiseteyo's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2047
Posts: 2,190
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEW999 View Post
I have a nexus 7 2013 and tried an alpja of android 4.4. Experimented with the ART option and my device did boot. Just had an awful lot of force closes. But the performanve difgerence on working apps is very impressive. I ran quadrant and my cpu score doubled
I don't know. I didn't experience a thing in my n4. I didn't do a benchmark but I am sure it didn't improve.. And yes, whatsapp fc
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
TEW999
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Sep 2012
Next time i have a tinker with aosp 4.4 ill post a screenshot of dalvik vs art. See what people think. Hopefully ART will reolave dalvik completely in the next version of android
 
evilspoons
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 38
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEW999 View Post
I ran quadrant and my cpu score doubled
This is probably because the benchmark isn't working properly with the new VM. I sincerely doubt Dalvik is wasting 50% of the CPU's performance.
 
opssemnik
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 602
Posts: 926
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Porto Alegre,Rio Grande Do Sul,Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
This is probably because the benchmark isn't working properly with the new VM. I sincerely doubt Dalvik is wasting 50% of the CPU's performance.
i doubt that it wont, ipod touch does better then gnex on cpu things
 
simms22
Old
#9  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 18018
Posts: 22,630
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
This is probably because the benchmark isn't working properly with the new VM. I sincerely doubt Dalvik is wasting 50% of the CPU's performance.
it does. when using the s4 dalvik during 4.3, nexus scores did nearly the same. and the scores using art or the s4 dalvik is nearly the same.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
Nark.GA60
Old
(Last edited by Nark.GA60; 9th November 2013 at 02:50 AM.)
#10  
Nark.GA60's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 240
Posts: 596
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canberra
You might be interested in a video I just put together.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nark.GA60 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes