5,605,311 Members 38,489 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Autofocus must be bugged, right? It refuses to focus except with direct light

Tip us?

whittikins
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Camera [Q] Autofocus must be bugged, right? It refuses to focus except with direct light

I love everything about the Nexus 4 except the camera. The autofocus is having serious trouble unless you have a LOT of light. Compared to other smartphones, it seems to be broken. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, I've used 2 Nexus 4's, so I'm sure this is a software issue. Have any past Nexus devices had similar issues and been fixed?

Thanks!

KyraOfFire
Old
Thanks Meter 152
I don't have that problem. Both with normal and HDR mode. In HDR mode it can be blurry, but not because out-of-focus but rather because my hands move while the phone still taking the picture (it takes more than one picture to create a HDR picture)

Also, I do notice that even in normal mode the camera actually takes longer to take the picture than one would expect, so usually holds your hand steady for a few extra seconds do the trick.

I hope that helps.
Nexus 5 - CWM Touch - franco.Kernel

Retired
HTC Vision - Adromadus Audacity Beta 5 - 4EXT

Nexus 4 - CWM Touch - franco.Kernel

Graveyard
Samsung Galaxy S
LG GS505
Samsung SGH-T819
Nokia 2610
Samsung X160

Stretch3000
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittikins View Post
I love everything about the Nexus 4 except the camera. The autofocus is having serious trouble unless you have a LOT of light. Compared to other smartphones, it seems to be broken. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, I've used 2 Nexus 4's, so I'm sure this is a software issue. Have any past Nexus devices had similar issues and been fixed?

Thanks!
Yes, I have the same exact problem. It's very annoying and makes me feel like my phone is defective.

My signature is here to remind of how far Android has come!!!
Phone: T-Mobile G1 - Black
Theme: None
ROM: Cyanogen's Mod 3.9.6
Recovery: Cyanogen's v1.4+JF
Radio: 2.22.19.26I
SPL: Haykuro's SPL
SDCard: Sandisk SDHC 8GB Class2
(Apps2sd 400mb ext3)

furlonium
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch3000 View Post
Yes, I have the same exact problem. It's very annoying and makes me feel like my phone is defective.
+1. My N4 16GB refuses to take any macro shots. The auto focus keeps engaging and is extremely annoying. The video recording seems ok, but the picture taking is atrocious.

Ivan Fuentes Hagar
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I think I'm getting the same thing... but then, I started to think maybe it was psychological. You know, the circle showing you constant auto focusing? It moves so much, it makes you feel the "focus bouncing" much more than it would do if all you saw was the picture being focused only.

Well, that's my theory, anyways.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

hp1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Any 'fix' for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Fuentes Hagar View Post
I think I'm getting the same thing... but then, I started to think maybe it was psychological. You know, the circle showing you constant auto focusing? It moves so much, it makes you feel the "focus bouncing" much more than it would do if all you saw was the picture being focused only.

Well, that's my theory, anyways.
I was trying to take a picture of my old Sensation XE to put on ebay but the N4 just wont focus well enough, it constantly focuses and refocuses. Its hugely frustrating and disappointing for a phone this powerful. Has anybody had any success perhaps with different software? There doesnt seem to be any kind of 'macro mode' built into the JB app?

AppReviewBros
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Yes, I find the camera to be bad too, especially the autofocus that fails to focus on objects that are further away.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Unless you are using tap to focus... if the camera is refocusing it is because your hands are not steady, which most likely is also the reason your shots are blurry.

I have noticed that the default program tends to set shutter speeds low to get the ISO down, but anything under 1/60th is going to take steady hands or a tripod. Consider using action mode to tell the camera you want it to use higher shutter speeds (but be aware this will cause more noise in low light due to higher ISO settings).

nellisere
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I've noticed this alot, when I try and take a close up photo, say of a phone, with the flash on, I use touch to focus and the flash turns on for a split second, and the green circle comes up saying it's focused, when it's badly out of focus, it seems to be a bit better with the flash off, but I've noticed the best improvement, whilst still not great, is pressing the shutter button before it focuses, so no ring on the screen, then it seems to have more luck focusing.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
Stock 4.4.2
Three UK (4G)
The Following User Says Thank You to nellisere For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tengen
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I honestly haven't had any problem with this. I have noticed the flash turning on briefly when focusing in low-light conditions, but the resulting pictures turn out fine.

Dunno if this will help, but someone on another thread suggested holding down (basically long-pressing) the capture button, waiting for the camera to focus, then releasing when you actually want to take the picture.
Nexus 4
Stock ROM 4.2.2 Rooted
Motley Kernel b39
CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.2.3