The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Backup app data with broken display (no touch, no root, debuging enabled)

OP calex3141

19th January 2014, 02:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Hi folks,

yesterday my Nexus 4 hit the ground and the front glass just bursted. Touch is not working anymore and the screen is locked (only slide to unlock, no pin or gesture). I can connect it to my PC and can access the internal storage, so backing up images, music, etc. is not a problem.

I have some apps installed of which I want to transfer the app data to my new phone. Debugging is enabled so I thought, well that'll be easy just run adb backup. Thought so... As adb backup requires a user action when it comes to entering the password I'm doomed

Does anybody has an idea or experienced the same problem on how I can get adb backup to work without being able to use the touch screen?
I'm not limited to adb backup but as my phone is not rooted I assume there are not a lot possibilities besides.

Thanks a lot for your help.

calex
19th January 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #2  
abaaaabbbb63's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Thanks Meter: 3,145
 
3,816 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calex3141

Hi folks,

yesterday my Nexus 4 hit the ground and the front glass just bursted. Touch is not working anymore and the screen is locked (only slide to unlock, no pin or gesture). I can connect it to my PC and can access the internal storage, so backing up images, music, etc. is not a problem.

I have some apps installed of which I want to transfer the app data to my new phone. Debugging is enabled so I thought, well that'll be easy just run adb backup. Thought so... As adb backup requires a user action when it comes to entering the password I'm doomed

Does anybody has an idea or experienced the same problem on how I can get adb backup to work without being able to use the touch screen?
I'm not limited to adb backup but as my phone is not rooted I assume there are not a lot possibilities besides.

Thanks a lot for your help.

calex

Do you have a custom recovery? Try flashing a non-touch one. Adb should work from within it.
19th January 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaaaabbbb63

Do you have a custom recovery? Try flashing a non-touch one. Adb should work from within it.

As I wrote, my phone is NOT rooted nor unlocked, so no custom recovery. Or do I get something wrong there?
Last edited by calex3141; 19th January 2014 at 04:56 PM.
19th January 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #4  
abaaaabbbb63's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Thanks Meter: 3,145
 
3,816 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calex3141

As I wrote, my phone is NOT rooted nor unlocked, so no custom recovery. Or do I get something wrong there?

Then you'll lose your app data.
19th January 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #5  
IRX120's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,849 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calex3141

As I wrote, my phone is NOT rooted nor unlocked, so no custom recovery. Or do I get something wrong there?

Your outta luck it seems then... If its that important to you you could buy a replacement screen for the n4... Get your data and sell it and get the money you spent in the screen back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
20th January 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #6  
opssemnik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto Alegre,Rio Grande Do Sul,Brasil
Thanks Meter: 775
 
1,199 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
If the apps that u need data are on sdcard(their datas)then u just do adb pull /sdcard c:\sdbackup with phone on.
if not then:
@calex3141 :
1ST: IM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE / FAIL WHILE DOING THIS METHOD, I TESTED ON MY FRIENDīS N4 BUT I CANT GUARANTEE THAT WILL WORK ON EVERY NEXUS (INCLUDING YOURS), USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
2ND: DO NOT CRY IF U CANT GET BACK THE FILES IF SOMETHING FAIL. YOU COULD JUST BUY SCREEN REPLACEMENT OR GET A JTAG DUMP
3RD: do carefuly. if you are nervous calm down b4 doing this. one single command and u can format the nand so be careful.
4TH: I hope it Works for u .
5TH: u need to have adb seted up and also drivers. if you dont know how, search google(for drivers).
for adb just install minimal adb and fastboot
6TH: its recomended to test to see if cygwin(u will know what it is in a moment) is working (do some commands on it, like cd .. (to go back)or ls (list files) )
7TH: if u have any errors contact me asap and i will try to help you
LETS GO:
unlock the bootloader: (type in cmd prompt, fastboot oem unlock, and follow instructions on phone)(DO THE MANUAL WAY, DO NOT USE TOOLKITS, KEEP READING TO KNOW WHY)(it will say that u will loose files, but it actualy dosent format, it just change the 1stīs block of userdata partition to make it unmountable normally,thats why toolkits do fastboot format userdata after unlock.and tutorials say to format data in STOCk recovery, since custom ones dosent format, just delete everything except sdcard)
(do not format anything, even on stock recovery)
flash multirom recovery:http://d-h.st/pzv (Thanks@tassadar for his great work)(the only that i use, so i cant tell others)
then do this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1994705
(instead of doing it with phone on, just do on recovery,adb is enabled on it)
Last edited by opssemnik; 20th January 2014 at 02:07 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes