5,597,198 Members 43,541 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery drain - slow USB charge - driver issue?

Tip us?

tangcla
Old
(Last edited by tangcla; 4th December 2013 at 11:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Default Battery drain - slow USB charge - driver issue?

So my gf's Nexus 4 is having some issues with the phone - on idle it drains in 8 hours, and it seems to charge very very slowly.
I tried connecting to the computer to copy off settings and photos but Windows is telling me in device manager, "Device Descriptor Request Failed". It's actually draining faster than it's charging when on USB (but is fine on AC, still very slow though).

Was using ART.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

arenola
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Download an app called battery stats so that u wil know what app cause the battery drain and for slow charge, flash custom kernel that has fast charge feature..hoping it helps u

Sent from my w500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tangcla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenola View Post
Download an app called battery stats so that u wil know what app cause the battery drain and for slow charge, flash custom kernel that has fast charge feature..hoping it helps u

Sent from my w500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Already done all that - underclocked and undervolt, still no improvement. BBS installed as system app with root, showing no wakelocks (highest one is 8 minutes).

thenobol
Old
Thanks Meter 126
1. drain: can be a kernel related or os problem, so flash a new kernel, or reflash your current one, or flash another customer rom or stock
2. slow charging: you should try another USB cable, on my old HTC cable my phone is charging about 33% slower!
.. or it is charging slow because of the drain.. hmm, think last one
3. what do your battery stats tell you?

keep calm and push the thanks button!
Keep Calm, and push the THANKS button
Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to thenobol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tangcla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
I restored my phone back to factory Kitkat last night, and overnight there was 3h of constant battery drain under Google Play services.
Might downgrade to 4.3 and see if it's still there.

rishabl1d
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Might be the battery is having some problem. Contact google if you still have warranty then ask for replacement.

tangcla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabl1d View Post
Might be the battery is having some problem. Contact google if you still have warranty then ask for replacement.
It was bought on launch day - out of warranty now

I don't think it's a physical thing though.

dr2001
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Check system internal battery status, to see who uses battery. And also check if wifi, gps, etc are always on.
If RF, Android OS, etc uses most, and battery drain fast, try another ROM and Kernel also baseband firmware. If app uses a lot, uninstall it and have a try. Disable wifi, gps, etc.

If you can, try charge your phone from shutdown, where no app runs. It should be fast, otherwise, some hardware should be replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to dr2001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tangcla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Did a factory restore from the Nexus image, just left it idle with Wifi on and no other apps other than the default Google ones, and it still drained itself after 8 hours.