Post Reply

Nexus 4 USB Issue

OP cyanisblue

21st April 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #1  
cyanisblue's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 143
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
I'm having a problem with my Nexus 4 that when I connect it to my laptop, I get a message saying "one of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned" and shows as "Unknown Device" in device manager. It doesn't show up in my computer. I've made sure MTP is enabled on the phone. I've tried different cables, tried uninstalling drivers and installing the latest official usb drivers. I've tried another computer and same problem. I found this thread saying that it could be a hardware problem. Phone is still under warranty but I have bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery with a stock rom but with no way of returning to complete stock.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Last edited by cyanisblue; 21st April 2014 at 04:34 AM.
21st April 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #2  
uchihakurtz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Depok
Thanks Meter: 167
 
593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Are you by any chance, using Windows XP? If you do,go check How to connect to Windows XP thread.
21st April 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #3  
cyanisblue's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 143
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
No my laptop is running Windows 7 and also tried it on a Windows 8 Laptop.
21st April 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #4  
uchihakurtz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Depok
Thanks Meter: 167
 
593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanisblue

No my laptop is running Windows 7 and also tried it on a Windows 8 Laptop.

Yeah, most probably hardware failure on the phone. You can return to complete stock by following this guide, unroot, then locking the bootloader I think. There should be guides everywhere in the forum. After that you can claim warranty, some places doesn't even check the state of the phone but just to be safe. Good luck dude.
The Following User Says Thank You to uchihakurtz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #5  
cyanisblue's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 143
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihakurtz

Yeah, most probably hardware failure on the phone. You can return to complete stock by following this guide, unroot, then locking the bootloader I think. There should be guides everywhere in the forum. After that you can claim warranty, some places doesn't even check the state of the phone but just to be safe. Good luck dude.

How can flash factory image and lock bootloader if I can't get adb/fastboot to work? It won't recognize the device at all.
21st April 2014, 05:44 AM   |  #6  
uchihakurtz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Depok
Thanks Meter: 167
 
593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanisblue

How can flash factory image and lock bootloader if I can't get adb/fastboot to work? It won't recognize the device at all.

Oh right, dang. I think the work around is to find a flashable zip of stock ROM and maybe an app that can relock bootloader directly. I'll try finding some when I'm surfing.

Sent from my blazing fast Nexus 4
The Following User Says Thank You to uchihakurtz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #7  
cyanisblue's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 143
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihakurtz

Oh right, dang. I think the work around is to find a flashable zip of stock ROM and maybe an app that can relock bootloader directly. I'll try finding some when I'm surfing.

Sent from my blazing fast Nexus 4

I found this app which can lock the bootloader and I've found a flashable stock 4.4 recovery.

Which order would I do all this in.

Would I flash stock 4.4 recovery zip then run lock bootloader app then full unroot in supersu?

Edit: Bootloader is locked and stock recovery installed now, all that's remaining is supersu which I can just use the unroot function.
Last edited by cyanisblue; 21st April 2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: update
21st April 2014, 07:56 AM   |  #8  
uchihakurtz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Depok
Thanks Meter: 167
 
593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Did you find the stock ROM though? It should be flashing stock ROM (automatically unroots), recovery, then lock the bootloader

Sent from my blazing fast Nexus 4
21st April 2014, 08:02 AM   |  #9  
cyanisblue's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 143
 
101 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihakurtz

Did you find the stock ROM though? It should be flashing stock ROM (automatically unroots), recovery, then lock the bootloader

Sent from my blazing fast Nexus 4

I already had a rooted stock rom installed, and the thing is you need root for the app to lock the bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
21st April 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #10  
uchihakurtz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Depok
Thanks Meter: 167
 
593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanisblue

I already had a rooted stock rom installed, and the thing is you need root for the app to lock the bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it's safe to lock the bootloader then unroot, since unlocking bootloader is only used to install custom recoveries not rooting.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes