[Q] Replacement screen + digitizer + front housing

3rd April 2013, 01:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brantford, ON
Thanks Meter: 498

950 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, my screen broke after 5 days, and the digitizer is completely unresponsive. It was barely a 2 foot drop! Here are a few pictures: one, two, three.

Anyways, with the sad story aside, I have looked into my repair options, and I have decided the most economical thing to do would be to order a replacement front assembly and do it myself. In another thread, I found this link. The drop resulted in a few scratches on the metallic frame, so I want to make sure that's also included in my replacement. Now, that link looks very promising, but I'm trying to save as much money as possible. I have browsed though Ebay, and found similar items that cost about $30-40 cheaper (after shipping) coming from China, but I'm a little skeptical about it. $100+ is expensive for a repair, so I want to make sure I'm getting quality parts. A couple examples are here and here. Are these parts directly from LG, and if so, how do they become available for sale through third parties? It's the quality of the parts that concern me the most. All said and done, I want the phone to look and feel as if it were brand new out of the box.

On another note, I'll be buying this as soon as it's available. I had one of those on my Nexus One back in the day, so I know my N4 will be well protected, even though it's going to effectively turn it into a cinder block. Such a shame that I gotta cover up such a beautiful device, but apparently it's too risky to leave the phone naked...

So basically, I just want some opinions about the cheaper Ebay options, or if anyone has a better recommendation. I've ruled out sending the phone to LG's third-party repair center due to the costs. I'm comfortable doing the repair myself, so I'm happy saving a few bucks in the process.
Last edited by Bloodflame; 3rd April 2013 at 01:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodflame For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2013, 01:13 PM   |  #2  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 853

2,991 posts
More
Re: [Q] Replacement screen + digitizer + front housing
Why not send it it for a new device instead?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
3rd April 2013, 01:17 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2,593

6,004 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflame

Well, my screen broke after 5 days, and the digitizer is completely unresponsive. It was barely a 2 foot drop! Here are a few pictures: one, two, three.

Anyways, with the sad story aside, I have looked into my repair options, and I have decided the most economical thing to do would be to order a replacement front assembly and do it myself. In another thread, I found this link. The drop resulted in a few scratches on the metallic frame, so I want to make sure that's also included in my replacement. Now, that link looks very promising, but I'm trying to save as much money as possible. I have browsed though Ebay, and found similar items that cost about $30-40 cheaper (after shipping) coming from China, but I'm a little skeptical about it. $100+ is expensive for a repair, so I want to make sure I'm getting quality parts. A couple examples are here and here. Are these parts directly from LG, and if so, how do they become available for sale through third parties? It's the quality of the parts that concern me the most. All said and done, I want the phone to look and feel as if it were brand new out of the box.

On another note, I'll be buying this as soon as it's available. I had one of those on my Nexus One back in the day, so I know my N4 will be well protected, even though it's going to effectively turn it into a cinder block. Such a shame that I gotta cover up such a beautiful device, but apparently it's too risky to leave the phone naked...

So basically, I just want some opinions about the cheaper Ebay options, or if anyone has a better recommendation. I've ruled out sending the phone to LG's third-party repair center due to the costs. I'm comfortable doing the repair myself, so I'm happy saving a few bucks in the process.

The Chinese make a dead on imitation of the N4. The only way to be sure you have a real N4 is to call Google and ask if your IMEI is legit. I'm guessing what you're looking at are screens for the copies. If you're worried, what's another few dollars for the real thing? I can see if they were half the price, but they aren't.

Also, why not get a bumper or a Ringke case? They still show of the phone.
3rd April 2013, 01:26 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brantford, ON

950 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scream4cheese

Why not send it it for a new device instead?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I bought it from my carrier, and declined a $7/month replacement plan... I could get in touch with them, but I'm pretty sure they're just going to tell me it's my own fault and nothing they can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estallings15

The Chinese make a dead on imitation of the N4. The only way to be sure you have a real N4 is to call Google and ask if your IMEI is legit.

Mine is real. I didn't buy a Chinese fake. I was just wondering if the replacement front from those Ebay listings were real or not. I know it's hard to tell, but I want to make sure I'm getting original LG parts.

Quote:

I'm guessing what you're looking at are screens for the copies. If you're worried, what's another few dollars for the real thing? I can see if they were half the price, but they aren't.

Also, why not get a bumper or a Ringke case? They still show of the phone.

I was originally considering the official bumper, but I'm not sure if it will really be enough. I don't want to go through the same thing again.
I don't like the design of the Ringke case, either. I know Seidio's cases are great quality, but at the same time, they make the phone huge.
3rd April 2013, 01:30 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2,593

6,004 posts
More
Quote:

Mine is real. I didn't buy a Chinese fake. I was just wondering if the replacement front from those Ebay listings were real or not. I know it's hard to tell, but I want to make sure I'm getting original LG parts.

You misunderstood. I wasn't questioning whether or not your phone was real. I was telling you that the fakes are really good. Those are probably REALLY good fake screens. Understand?
3rd April 2013, 02:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Hi guys,

I have the same problem on my Nexus 4 which is now completely useless. Funny enough, the phone is still on but the touch screen doesn't work anymore... Let me tell you how annoying it is when the alarm rings at 7am on a Saturday morning and you can't turn it off...

Anyway, I hope I'm in the right topic and not posting something that has been answered already (I did a research...) but can you let me know if you managed to change your screen Bloodflame? If so, was it easy with the replacement kit that usually comes with the screen you buy. I don't want to go to a dodgy shop that will take me 20 for just a simple screen change... I'm sure I can do it myself.

I recently found one on eBay for 85, which is pretty much the best deal I saw so far (I can't send you a link as I'm a new member, sorry).

Thanks in advance for your help and apologies if the English isn't perfect (I'm not a native).
Last edited by michaelvitello; 3rd April 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: No Title + typo
4th April 2013, 08:24 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brantford, ON

950 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You misunderstood. I wasn't questioning whether or not your phone was real. I was telling you that the fakes are really good. Those are probably REALLY good fake screens. Understand?

OK, I see what you mean. Just when you mentioned verifying my IMEI with Google made it sound like you thought mine was a fake. I understand the Chinese knockoff's could be hard to tell apart, and I understand that those replacement parts on Ebay may be fake. That's what I was skeptical about. They might be real, but maybe it's not worth the risk...

At first glance, the price appears similar, but the one from EtradeSupply comes to about $152 after shipping, whereas the Ebay ones are about $115 shipping included. I was just hoping I could save a little cash - that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvitello

Hi guys,

I have the same problem on my Nexus 4 which is now completely useless. Funny enough, the phone is still on but the touch screen doesn't work anymore... Let me tell you how annoying it is when the alarm rings at 7am on a Saturday morning and you can't turn it off...

Anyway, I hope I'm in the right topic and not posting something that has been answered already (I did a research...) but can you let me know if you managed to change your screen Bloodflame? If so, was it easy with the replacement kit that usually comes with the screen you buy. I don't want to go to a dodgy shop that will take me 20 for just a simple screen change... I'm sure I can do it myself.

I recently found one on eBay for 85, which is pretty much the best deal I saw so far (I can't send you a link as I'm a new member, sorry).

Thanks in advance for your help and apologies if the English isn't perfect (I'm not a native).

I only made this post last night, so no, I haven't fixed my phone yet. I haven't even placed the order for my replacement parts yet. But I can update this thread later on with my progress. Heck, I can even post pictures of the repair process and make note of any details pertaining to how easy/hard it is, a specific step that might be a little more difficult (ribbon cables come to mind), or anything like that.

FYI, you can disable your alarm from ADB as long as you have USB debugging enabled. It's a bit of a pain, but I was able to get a few things done using ADB. For instance, I was able to turn off mobile data, enable wifi, and make a full backup of my internal storage among a few other minor things, just in case.

Code:
adb shell
svc data disable
svc wifi enable
input touchscreen tap [x] [y]
input keyevent [#]
Google those commands for more details.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodflame For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th April 2013, 10:50 AM   |  #8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Quote:

I only made this post last night, so no, I haven't fixed my phone yet. I haven't even placed the order for my replacement parts yet. But I can update this thread later on with my progress. Heck, I can even post pictures of the repair process and make note of any details pertaining to how easy/hard it is, a specific step that might be a little more difficult (ribbon cables come to mind), or anything like that.

OK I see. No problem then, I ordered the screen yesterday and will also give updates when I'll change it. Hopefully, I'll receive it and change it before you and will therefore give you a few tips (if needed). I'm sure it's not that difficult but we'll probably need to be very cautious. There's probably a few videos showing how to do it. If I find a good one, I'll post the link here.

Quote:

FYI, you can disable your alarm from ADB as long as you have USB debugging enabled. It's a bit of a pain, but I was able to get a few things done using ADB. For instance, I was able to turn off mobile data, enable wifi, and make a full backup of my internal storage among a few other minor things, just in case.

I didn't know this tip, thanks for the help! It finally went out of battery, so nothing to worry about anymore )
5th April 2013, 04:48 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 137

301 posts
Just a general heads up:
I recently had the exact same problem, wanted to keep my nexus naked but it cracked after about a month. So I ordered a replacement last sunday of eBay for about $135 with shipping, it was not from China, from California. I received the screen yesterday, and successfully replaced it by my own, it was pretty simple and took me about an hour. I have never before disassembled a phone. The screen works fine and seems just as good as the one before. I could have sent it in to LG but they said they would remove all data from the phone for some security reason and I didn't want to do that. But if you have any more questions just ask me, I will be glad to help you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to aanonymoushuman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th April 2013, 09:52 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brantford, ON

950 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvitello

OK I see. No problem then, I ordered the screen yesterday and will also give updates when I'll change it. Hopefully, I'll receive it and change it before you and will therefore give you a few tips (if needed). I'm sure it's not that difficult but we'll probably need to be very cautious. There's probably a few videos showing how to do it. If I find a good one, I'll post the link here.

Sounds great! Yeah, I've already briefly looked up a couple videos and guides (see this one on ifixit) and it doesn't looks terribly difficult. Also, I recall reading about someone who successfully replaced their screen, but ended up cracking the back glass in the process. Might be worthwhile to take a little extra care to make sure that doesn't happen to you. You've been warned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanonymoushuman

Just a general heads up:
I recently had the exact same problem, wanted to keep my nexus naked but it cracked after about a month. So I ordered a replacement last sunday of eBay for about $135 with shipping, it was not from China, from California. I received the screen yesterday, and successfully replaced it by my own, it was pretty simple and took me about an hour. I have never before disassembled a phone. The screen works fine and seems just as good as the one before. I could have sent it in to LG but they said they would remove all data from the phone for some security reason and I didn't want to do that. But if you have any more questions just ask me, I will be glad to help you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Yeah, I could understand why you'd want to leave the N4 naked - it's certainly a beautiful device! But on the other hand, stuff like this happens and it becomes an expensive mistake, as we've learned.

So just tell me, was there any one or two specific disassembly/assembly steps that were more difficult? If so, did you figure out any tricks to overcome the difficulty a bit? I understand working with small parts and flimsy ribbon cables can be a bit of a pain. I've taken a couple phones apart before, but never had too much difficulty as long as I was being careful and patient. I suppose the same is true here but I don't intend to take my N4 apart until I have my new screen and I'm ready to get to work. Payday is a week away, so it's just a waiting game for me at this point.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
digitizer, nexus 4, repair, replacement, screen
Previous Thread Next Thread