Battery replacement, is it worth it and can you fit a larger one inside?

OP 22sl22

21st August 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 40

305 posts
More
Anyone who did it is an absolute idiot, but whatever, melt your phone and burn your face off if you want. Notice how there are no follow up posts from anyone even a month down the line in that thread, I think they all died (but seriously, their battery is ****ed now and they're too embarrassed to post anything)

But here's some videos of lithium batteries exploding from incorrect charging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VswaFOrVM6I

Also the fact you want to use a samsung battery has me even more concerned

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sw...w=1366&bih=643

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07...-off-the-hook/ (This girl used a fake s3 battery, in an actual s3. You're gonna put a fake s3 battery in a Nexus 4?!?!?!)
Last edited by DrFredPhD; 21st August 2014 at 08:48 PM.
22nd August 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I agree with what DrFredPhD said, LIB are very dangerous if tampered with or altered physically.
22nd August 2014, 09:13 AM   |  #13  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 90

123 posts
More
If you're really having drastic differences in battery life then you're supposes to then I would suggest you replace your N4 battery with an original one itself, don't go for any other options
22nd August 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #14  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 221

811 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stazi34

I agree with what DrFredPhD said, LIB are very dangerous if tampered with or altered physically.

Yeah, running/charging multiple lithium batteries typically isn't a good idea. But the videos that DrFredPhD posted aren't what you'll get with a cell phone battery.

Li-ion and Li-po batteries in commercial devices have built-in circuitry to prevent overcharging, overdischarging, reverse polarity, and short circuits. If you short it, the circuitry kicks in and kills everything. Putting it back in the device/charger resets the kill switch. Same if the charge gets too high, or the discharge gets to low. Circuity switches the battery off, and prevents overcharging and runaway discharging.

Those videos show batteries that don't have that circuitry. Either it was removed, or they're cells used by hobbiests and were purchased unprotected. Unprotected cells are available for hobbiests (R/C stuff, high-powered flashlights, etc) and some use them because the circuitry in protected cells leeches a bit of your juice. In an R/C car, that could mean a few more seconds and one more completed lap, in an R/C plane or helicopter, a few more seconds of air time before you crash. But there are obvious dangers.

Those dangers don't exist with commercial protected batteries. Well, they do, but that's when you buy a cheap knock-off from China, or the cell is defective, like those Sony and Dell laptops that were catching fire several years ago.

But even with protected commercial batteries, problems can occur (just not explosively dangerous ones). If the cells are mismatched in capacity, or one has a higher charge than the other, the higher capacity one will try to charge the other one, and the battery life of both will suffer, plus since they're also trying to power the device or receive a charge, they'll get really hot and can be damaged. Running identical cells is one thing. Charging should be done separately so that they start off the same. It's not the same as with a laptop or electric car, because they have additional circuitry to make things safe. It's also not the same as using a battery bank to power/charge your device, because effectively, that's just the same as plugging into a USB jack.
23rd August 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #15  
Flag Canberra
Thanks Meter: 14

614 posts
More
Battery Monitor Widget Pro is reporting around 1700mAh or less to me now so I'm wondering if my battery also needs to be replaced... Happy to use quality OEM but can it be done myself or should I pay someone?
24th August 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #16  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 221

811 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidBois

Battery Monitor Widget Pro is reporting around 1700mAh or less to me now so I'm wondering if my battery also needs to be replaced... Happy to use quality OEM but can it be done myself or should I pay someone?

You can replace it yourself. You'll need a T5 TORX driver for the screws at the bottom of the phone, and then something thin to pry the halves apart, preferably plastic so you don't damage your phone's body. It helps to heat it up with a hairdryer to soften the glue.

As for that app, I don't know if I trust it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-23-17-04-38.png
Views:	34
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	2909641  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread