FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

[Q] Battery swollen, random rebooting, dead at 50%

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By 00Justas, Junior Member on 22nd April 2014, 01:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.
 
 
22nd April 2014, 03:31 PM |#2  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 691
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Justas

For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.

I would contact Google/LG, but to be honest, even though it is 8 months old, you opened it up and glass is broken, then chances they will warranty it out are pretty slim... Replacing the battery and back cover is a very viable option though.
22nd April 2014, 04:32 PM |#3  
Oxious119's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
If you didn't open your device I guess you should get warranty.

In any case: if the battery is expanded (swollen) do NOT turn it on or connect to A/C! The battery might explode/catch fire!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
22nd April 2014, 06:48 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin

I would contact Google/LG, but to be honest, even though it is 8 months old, you opened it up and glass is broken, then chances they will warranty it out are pretty slim... Replacing the battery and back cover is a very viable option though.

I didn't open it up, I removed protective case, not the cover.
24th April 2014, 03:46 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Justas

I didn't open it up, I removed protective case, not the cover.

Don't worry. If you can make it to bootloader flash stock rom and lock boot loader. If you can't make it to boot loader, the warranty will be denied if the damages are due to custom ROM. Using custom ROM alone cannot be said as a reason for denying warranty.
I had the same problem. The back panel slightly bumped and I flashed stock rom and bootloader as soon as I saw it. Since it was the beginning stage of battery swollen out, they put a new battery under warranty. They asked me question like how long would you charge, etc... Tell them 1.5-2hrs. Chances are 50% that they will accept under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
24th April 2014, 11:17 AM |#6  
midnight911's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hell
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Justas

For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.

I've got exacly same problems with mine. Since my warranty has run out I've just bought new battery and changed it myself. Everything works now as it should. Try warranty, if not buy new battery and back cover if you need.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes