Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 42,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery swollen, random rebooting, dead at 50%

Tip us?

00Justas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Battery swollen, random rebooting, dead at 50%

For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Justas View Post
For the last few weeks my phone was dying at 50% battery (no turning off animation, just instant shutdown). I changed my ROM from Cyanogenmod to Paranoid Android, the problem still remained. Few days ago phone started to random reboot. Today I removed the case and found out that the glass of the back of the phone is very shattered, and a bit swollen (few mm above phone level). Now It doesn't even turn on (bootloop with Google text).Is it possible to return it for warranty (phone is about 8 months old) or should I just buy a new battery and a back cover.
I would contact Google/LG, but to be honest, even though it is 8 months old, you opened it up and glass is broken, then chances they will warranty it out are pretty slim... Replacing the battery and back cover is a very viable option though.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Oxious119
Old
Thanks Meter 50
If you didn't open your device I guess you should get warranty.

In any case: if the battery is expanded (swollen) do NOT turn it on or connect to A/C! The battery might explode/catch fire!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

00Justas
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
I would contact Google/LG, but to be honest, even though it is 8 months old, you opened it up and glass is broken, then chances they will warranty it out are pretty slim... Replacing the battery and back cover is a very viable option though.
I didn't open it up, I removed protective case, not the cover.

belictony
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I didn't open it up, I removed protective case, not the cover.
Don't worry. If you can make it to bootloader flash stock rom and lock boot loader. If you can't make it to boot loader, the warranty will be denied if the damages are due to custom ROM. Using custom ROM alone cannot be said as a reason for denying warranty.
I had the same problem. The back panel slightly bumped and I flashed stock rom and bootloader as soon as I saw it. Since it was the beginning stage of battery swollen out, they put a new battery under warranty. They asked me question like how long would you charge, etc... Tell them 1.5-2hrs. Chances are 50% that they will accept under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

midnight911
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
I've got exacly same problems with mine. Since my warranty has run out I've just bought new battery and changed it myself. Everything works now as it should. Try warranty, if not buy new battery and back cover if you need.
Device:Nexus 4
ROM: Latest Purity 4.4.2
Kernel: HellsDoctor R2 V22