Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,023 Members 43,594 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Blinking red led, no boot when plugged in

Tip us?

GrIc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Blinking red led, no boot when plugged in

Hi all,
My Nexus 4 just shut down after going really hot. I cannot turn it on anymore, when I press the On/Off button with our without the volume buttons nothing happens, except if it is plugged in.
In that case, after about 15 sec I have a blinking red led.

I think the problem is material, but I don't know if the problem comes from the battery or something else. I don't want to buy a new battery if my Nexus 4 is dead... So I am trying to figure out if the problem is about the battery or not. I think not because even when plugged in, nothing shows on the screen when I try to turn it on.

What do you think ?

Thanks very much for your help,
Guillaume.

cxda48
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default blinking red led

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrIc View Post
Hi all,
My Nexus 4 just shut down after going really hot. I cannot turn it on anymore, when I press the On/Off button with our without the volume buttons nothing happens, except if it is plugged in.
In that case, after about 15 sec I have a blinking red led.

I think the problem is material, but I don't know if the problem comes from the battery or something else. I don't want to buy a new battery if my Nexus 4 is dead... So I am trying to figure out if the problem is about the battery or not. I think not because even when plugged in, nothing shows on the screen when I try to turn it on.

What do you think ?

Thanks very much for your help,
Guillaume.
When you get the blinking red led while on the charger, how many time does it flashes ?

Is it the same as this:
"
By red flashing light, I mean: Hold power for 12 secs with good charger connected gives flashing red light: one short, pause circa 2 sec, 11 flashes at one per sec, pause under 1/4 sec, one short dim flash, pause c. 2 sec, repeat. This is the notification LED directly above the USB socket.
"

GrIc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxda48 View Post
When you get the blinking red led while on the charger, how many time does it flashes ?

Is it the same as this:
"
By red flashing light, I mean: Hold power for 12 secs with good charger connected gives flashing red light: one short, pause circa 2 sec, 11 flashes at one per sec, pause under 1/4 sec, one short dim flash, pause c. 2 sec, repeat. This is the notification LED directly above the USB socket.
"
Hi cxda48,
I have the exact same behaviour : 11 flashes, a short pause followed with one short flash, then repeat.

You have an idea of what it means ?

Thanks !

anetgrup
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I had a similar problem. The phone will not start and when you put the red light blinking loaded several times. My Solving: I opened the phone and pulled the battery pins. I connected the battery and the phone started normally.

cxda48
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetgrup View Post
I had a similar problem. The phone will not start and when you put the red light blinking loaded several times. My Solving: I opened the phone and pulled the battery pins. I connected the battery and the phone started normally.
*similar* but not the same I guess.

It seems like the IC that turns on and off the LED is the PMIC ("Power Management Integrated Circuit"). When something goes wrong, this IC has got some intelligence to give out some information about what is wrong (a bit like the bios on a PC). So 11 red LED flashes is an error code I guess. When the battery is disconnected it's 1 red LED flash (that error code probably means battery not present/worng) in my experience.

I know at least that with the 11 flashes issue, changing / reconnecting a charged battery does not solve this issue

Would anyone have information about what these codes mean ?

jimmy2823
Old
Thanks Meter 3
this just happened to me. Any solutions?