5,600,571 Members 33,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bootloop on everything but Stock 4.2, tried everything, looked everywhere (hope)

Tip us?

CausableMidget
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bootloop on everything but Stock 4.2, tried everything, looked everywhere (hope)

I am not new to ROMs and flashing etc., but I am completely stumped on this one. I have looked everywhere I know to look (supposedly) but if you find some easily locatable solution that I have missed, please feel free to call me mean names and share the solution with me. Otherwise, this is what I have tried so far (I will start from the beginning):

First, the 4.3 OTA update bricked my phone. I hadn't rooted my N4 yet because it was an updrage from D1 (yes, big jump). I decided to root the phone and install a custom ROM. Can't be too hard right? Its a Nexus for crying out loud. WRONG. Well I rooted pretty easily, and installed my first custom ROM for N4. To install this ROM, I had to erase boot.img, system.img, and userdata.img and then flash each individually from the ROM zip file I downloaded. This worked! I was winging it and it worked out. However, from then on, EVERY ROM I tried to install ended up in a bootloop. I have wiped cache/data, dalvik cache, and even my own (c)ache before flashing new ROM. They all end in bootloop (never ending).

I am able to revert to stock 4.2 easily every time. However, any attempt at installing a custom ROM from there is void. Today I downloaded 4.4.2.tgz from google and ran flash-all.bat. Everything works great! Until I try to boot up; bootloop. I fastboot format this and fastboot erase that, then fastboot flash each .img individually. I fastboot flash new radio, new kernel, etc. etc. but still bootloop.

I really am clueless as to what I am doing wrong or how I screwed myself somewhere along the way, but I am humbly coming before my superiors and asking for help. Please offer me the simplest solution and call me dumb for not seeing it, I will hold you in my heart 4eva

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausableMidget View Post
I am not new to ROMs and flashing etc., but I am completely stumped on this one. I have looked everywhere I know to look (supposedly) but if you find some easily locatable solution that I have missed, please feel free to call me mean names and share the solution with me. Otherwise, this is what I have tried so far (I will start from the beginning):

First, the 4.3 OTA update bricked my phone. I hadn't rooted my N4 yet because it was an updrage from D1 (yes, big jump). I decided to root the phone and install a custom ROM. Can't be too hard right? Its a Nexus for crying out loud. WRONG. Well I rooted pretty easily, and installed my first custom ROM for N4. To install this ROM, I had to erase boot.img, system.img, and userdata.img and then flash each individually from the ROM zip file I downloaded. This worked! I was winging it and it worked out. However, from then on, EVERY ROM I tried to install ended up in a bootloop. I have wiped cache/data, dalvik cache, and even my own (c)ache before flashing new ROM. They all end in bootloop (never ending).

I am able to revert to stock 4.2 easily every time. However, any attempt at installing a custom ROM from there is void. Today I downloaded 4.4.2.tgz from google and ran flash-all.bat. Everything works great! Until I try to boot up; bootloop. I fastboot format this and fastboot erase that, then fastboot flash each .img individually. I fastboot flash new radio, new kernel, etc. etc. but still bootloop.

I really am clueless as to what I am doing wrong or how I screwed myself somewhere along the way, but I am humbly coming before my superiors and asking for help. Please offer me the simplest solution and call me dumb for not seeing it, I will hold you in my heart 4eva

This is why once I have my phone rooted, there's no turning back to stock.

Are you sure that you wiped system, along with everything else between adventures? (factory reset via recovery)

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

CausableMidget
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrydroidcafe View Post
This is why once I have my phone rooted, there's no turning back to stock.

Are you sure that you wiped system, along with everything else between adventures? (factory reset via recovery)

Yes. I even just did it again to make sure, but I am still watching the beautifully colored circles fold in on themselves.

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Yes. I even just did it again to make sure, but I am still watching the beautifully colored circles fold in on themselves.
Ok, gonna make a suggestion, and it's totally on you if you want to take it, and of course I won't be held responsible. I have had a bootloop or two on my G2 (the original), I would get impatient and pull the battery. (wish the Nexus 4 had a removable battery) Without fail, that cured the bootloop. Just remember, that was a G2, not a Nexus 4.

Don't ask me why it worked because I have no clue.

HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2

CausableMidget
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrydroidcafe View Post
Ok, gonna make a suggestion, and it's totally on you if you want to take it, and of course I won't be held responsible. I have had a bootloop or two on my G2 (the original), I would get impatient and pull the battery. (wish the Nexus 4 had a removable battery) Without fail, that cured the bootloop. Just remember, that was a G2, not a Nexus 4.

Don't ask me why it worked because I have no clue.

I have cycled power a few times during the boot to no avail. I also just reverted back to stock 4.2 and then installed OTA 4.3 update hoping outcome would be different (definition of insanity according to Vaas). I don't know what to do. It's just not in me to run 4.2 forever

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
I have cycled power a few times during the boot to no avail. I also just reverted back to stock 4.2 and then installed OTA 4.3 update hoping outcome would be different (definition of insanity according to Vaas). I don't know what to do. It's just not in me to run 4.2 forever
Have you tried calling an Exorcist?

I've run out of ideas!

HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2