aContact+++ Next Dialer

Ifyou have a dual SIM device and have problems with managing your two cards, you should check this dialer. … more

HTC Hima Photo Leaks Were Decoys

Reputable leaker EvLeaks confirms to us that he knows the photos of the HTC Hima circling the internet these … more

Custom Recovery For Note 3 Neo

Many forget that the Note 3 Neo is a big device and neat alternative to its expensive cousin. But it … more

The Death Of Google Play Edition

Google stopped selling the last Google Play Edition phones earlier this week.Does that mean it’s the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Bought a Stolen Nexus 4. Now what

OP mitrals

18th June 2014, 10:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Ok stupid me. I bought a Nexus 4 from a guy off craigslist. He turned the phone on and all functions worked. I didn't have the sim pin and nor did he so I was not able to insert my sim card and check. Once I got home, and put my sim card in the phone keeps deleting everything. ESN check on Swappa is clear. Now the guy does not pick up my calls texts and his phone is off. Am I stuck with a paperweight? What are the legal ramifications?
18th June 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #2  
Zehlek's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Niagara Falls
Thanks Meter: 1,210
 
4,110 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrals

Ok stupid me. I bought a Nexus 4 from a guy off craigslist. He turned the phone on and all functions worked. I didn't have the sim pin and nor did he so I was not able to insert my sim card and check. Once I got home, and put my sim card in the phone keeps deleting everything. ESN check on Swappa is clear. Now the guy does not pick up my calls texts and his phone is off. Am I stuck with a paperweight? What are the legal ramifications?

Is Bootloader unlocked? Are you able to boot into bootloader and unlock with a toolkit and flash factory images?
18th June 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehlek

Is Bootloader unlocked? Are you able to boot into bootloader and unlock with a toolkit and flash factory images?

The phone is plain stock without any modifications. I will try and load a factory image on the phone. I just don't want the cops coming after me or someone capturing my data.
18th June 2014, 10:37 PM   |  #4  
Zehlek's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Niagara Falls
Thanks Meter: 1,210
 
4,110 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrals

The phone is plain stock without any modifications. I will try and load a factory image on the phone. I just don't want the cops coming after me or someone capturing my data.

That is probably your only option since you don't know the sim pin
18th June 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 132
 
448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Unlock the bootloafer then flash factory image. Then pray for it dont be IMEI locked. Its sad when people scam us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app
19th June 2014, 07:35 AM   |  #6  
jayRokk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rack City
Thanks Meter: 2,229
 
3,140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrals

Ok stupid me. I bought a Nexus 4 from a guy off craigslist. He turned the phone on and all functions worked. I didn't have the sim pin and nor did he so I was not able to insert my sim card and check. Once I got home, and put my sim card in the phone keeps deleting everything. ESN check on Swappa is clear. Now the guy does not pick up my calls texts and his phone is off. Am I stuck with a paperweight? What are the legal ramifications?

if the ESN/IMEI checks out with swappa you don't have a paperweight. call T-Mobile and register your device.


factory reset every and if it still isn't working try installing factory images.


you're only stuck with a paperweight if its reported stolen (which only works if the phone was bought from T-Mobile directly.) or if it doesn't work whatsoever

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes