Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 54,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bought a Stolen Nexus 4. Now what

Tip us?

mitrals
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bought a Stolen Nexus 4. Now what

Ok stupid me. I bought a Nexus 4 from a guy off craigslist. He turned the phone on and all functions worked. I didn't have the sim pin and nor did he so I was not able to insert my sim card and check. Once I got home, and put my sim card in the phone keeps deleting everything. ESN check on Swappa is clear. Now the guy does not pick up my calls texts and his phone is off. Am I stuck with a paperweight? What are the legal ramifications?

Zehlek
Old
Thanks Meter 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrals View Post
Ok stupid me. I bought a Nexus 4 from a guy off craigslist. He turned the phone on and all functions worked. I didn't have the sim pin and nor did he so I was not able to insert my sim card and check. Once I got home, and put my sim card in the phone keeps deleting everything. ESN check on Swappa is clear. Now the guy does not pick up my calls texts and his phone is off. Am I stuck with a paperweight? What are the legal ramifications?
Is Bootloader unlocked? Are you able to boot into bootloader and unlock with a toolkit and flash factory images?

mitrals
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehlek View Post
Is Bootloader unlocked? Are you able to boot into bootloader and unlock with a toolkit and flash factory images?
The phone is plain stock without any modifications. I will try and load a factory image on the phone. I just don't want the cops coming after me or someone capturing my data.

Zehlek
Old
Thanks Meter 1,155
Quote:
The phone is plain stock without any modifications. I will try and load a factory image on the phone. I just don't want the cops coming after me or someone capturing my data.
That is probably your only option since you don't know the sim pin

prog19
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Unlock the bootloafer then flash factory image. Then pray for it dont be IMEI locked. Its sad when people scam us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

jayRokk
Old
Thanks Meter 1,997
Quote:
if the ESN/IMEI checks out with swappa you don't have a paperweight. call T-Mobile and register your device.

factory reset every and if it still isn't working try installing factory images.

you're only stuck with a paperweight if its reported stolen (which only works if the phone was bought from T-Mobile directly.) or if it doesn't work whatsoever

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If your signature says something like "Hit the thanks button if I've helped," I automatically assume you're here for "likes" and really care about imaginary internet points.
You're on the wrong site. Don't be that person. Its ridiculous.