Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,004 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CAF/Non-CAF

Tip us?

TheKnux
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 161

DONATE TO ME
Default CAF/Non-CAF

I somewhat read what the difference between the two were, but I don't quite understand it completely. I was wondering (based on user preference) which is better.

I was using a ROM that was Non-CAF and now I'm using one that is, and I don't notice a difference really. I was wondering if someone could help me understand better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKnux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

parkourz
Old
Thanks Meter 173
+1
HIT IF I HELPED
BUT
I'M NOT HELPING BY PMS!!! If you are going to PM me with your problems, remember: YOU'LL BE IGNORED!!!
Proud user of
Running
SE K610i->SE W200i->SE C510i->SE Xperia X8->HTC One V->LG Nexus 4

Targaeryan
Old
Thanks Meter 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnux View Post
I somewhat read what the difference between the two were, but I don't quite understand it completely. I was wondering (based on user preference) which is better.

I was using a ROM that was Non-CAF and now I'm using one that is, and I don't notice a difference really. I was wondering if someone could help me understand better.
Caf relates to code aurora forum (Google it).. Its where Qualcomm updates its stuff regularly. While aosp is googles kernel branch. Caf has more updates and optimisations for Qualcomm chipsets. The difference... I can't say there is much since our phones are already quite powerful to handle most things thrown at it.. But again, as I mentioned its optimisations and etc, so on paper better performance, battery and what not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Targaeryan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

graafschap101
Old
Thanks Meter 1
CodeAurora (CAF) - These are Qualcomm's reference sources for their platform. This is what they provide to OEMs, and what nearly all OEMs base their software off of. As a result - nearly all non-Nexus devices are running kernels/display HALs/etc. that are derived from a CAF baseline.

Google's software baseline, or AOSP - Usually when Google starts working on a new Android version, they'll fork from CAF at the beginning. Very often Google will be adding "new" features specific to the new Android version, while Qualcomm will continue with performance enhancements and bugfixes against the "old" baseline.

So when a new Android revision comes out, you have two baselines: CAF which is usually "ahead" in performance but "behind" in features, and AOSP which is the opposite.
The Following User Says Thank You to graafschap101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flanker22
Old
Thanks Meter 4
from what i've noticed CAF is better, i get less stuttering this is the sort of thing that optimizations usually improves on.