5,599,337 Members 37,888 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Let's calibrate Mako | 3rdAug: ALL KERNELS COMPILED AGAINST 4.3 JSS15J & JWR66V

Tip us?

molesarecoming
Old
(Last edited by molesarecoming; 6th August 2013 at 06:46 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 27246

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Let's calibrate Mako | 3rdAug: ALL KERNELS COMPILED AGAINST 4.3 JSS15J & JWR66V

ROMS ON 4.3 JSS15J

http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r..._HALFBREED.zip

4.3 STOCK ANDROID (OR 4.3 ROMS ON JWR66V)

http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r..._HALFBREED.zip

WHAT IS THIS?

This is the kernel that first calibrated the Nexus 4, and to this day it still might do a great job at that.
The Kernel is left untouched/stock otherwise.
The difference is not marginal, this will squeeze out the best that your display is capable of.

"but, but the stock colors are so natural!" - that crosses your mind and you're out, please just go elsewhere and enjoy your day!

For those that stay and want to help, here's where we're at,

Mako has a f*cked up calibration thanks to mr. muramatsu. We all know it. Google knows it. Every tech page on this planet reported it. Why Google cranked gamma and risked washed out colors? Pure terror of banding, since LG's original calibration is terrible, too. One thing we all can agree to, this is not how IPS looks, this is not how LG shipped Mako, this is not how they ship Optimus G, its not natural, its not good.

There are virtually no good presets at this point, this device is out for months and all we have is simple RGB calibration which is absolutely useless. Some kernels allow for more but at most that's still just 2 values out of nine, missing out on such aspects as whitepoint, blackpoint, saturation, etc. All values are exposed but i've seen no real use of them.

The LG kernel gives us three channels to play with, R, G and B. Each channel exposes 9 values to tweak gamma. The task here is to find out what these values are and create reasonable presets, possibly the very first ones on this plattform that make any sort of sense.

2nd rev, brighter, rich colors but less saturation, less banding
Download: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r...atedBright.zip

Values, some deciphered already,

Code:
kcal_r = 245;
kcal_g = 244;
kcal_b = 240;

//                            R  G  B
#define g_white       0x39 //Whitepoint, LG=0x72, GOOG=0x40,40,20 Low values=extreme whites, risk of blown out highlights
#define g_mids        0x15 //Mids?,      LG=0x15, GOOG=0x44,44,23
#define g_black       0x76 //Blackpoint, LG=0x76, GOOG=0x76,76,74 Low values=cut out, banding in the shadows
#define g_contrast    0x1F //Contrast,   LG=0x00, GOOG=0x00,00,1F
#define g_brightness  0x09 //Brightness, LG=0x00, GOOG=0x00,00,10
#define g_saturation  0x48 //Saturation, LG=0x50, GOOG=0x30,30,50

static char p_gamma_r_setting[10] = {0xD0, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, 0x30, 0x02};
static char n_gamma_r_setting[10] = {0xD1, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, 0x30, 0x02};
static char p_gamma_g_setting[10] = {0xD2, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, 0x30, 0x02};
static char n_gamma_g_setting[10] = {0xD3, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, 0x30, 0x02};
static char p_gamma_b_setting[10] = {0xD4, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, 0x30, 0x02};
static char n_gamma_b_setting[10] = {0xD5, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, 0x30, 0x02};
2nd rev, 2nd variant: Dark, contrasty, rich colors, brightest whites, sureal, even grays
This is the one you try first, just to see what IPS can really do. Then you try the one highlighted in green

Download: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r...dContrasty.zip

Code:
kcal_r = 245;
kcal_g = 244;
kcal_b = 240;

#define g_white       0x40
#define g_mids        0x44
#define g_black       0x76
#define g_contrast    0x1A
#define g_brightness  0x00
#define g_saturation  0x48
Third revision, HOLOBLUE, color incorrect special purpose kernel, work in progress
dark, constrasty, eyepopping colors, eyescorching tinted blue/red/purple whites, oversaturated blues

Download: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r...edHoloBlue.zip

Code:
kcal_r = 249;
kcal_g = 249;
kcal_b = 255;

#define g_white       0x38
#define g_black       0x74
#define g_contrast    0x1C
#define g_brightness  0x00
#define g_saturation  0x38
#define g_greys       0x0A

static char p_gamma_r_setting[10] = {0xD0, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, g_greys + 0x10, 0x01};
static char n_gamma_r_setting[10] = {0xD1, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, g_greys + 0x10, 0x01};
static char p_gamma_g_setting[10] = {0xD2, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, g_greys + 0x10, 0x01};
static char n_gamma_g_setting[10] = {0xD3, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast, g_brightness, g_saturation, g_greys + 0x10, 0x01};
static char p_gamma_b_setting[10] = {0xD4, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast - 0x10, g_brightness + 0x02, g_saturation+0x20, g_greys, 0x01};
static char n_gamma_b_setting[10] = {0xD5, g_white, g_mids, g_black, 0x00, g_contrast - 0x10, g_brightness + 0x02, g_saturation+0x20, g_greys, 0x01};
Fourth revision, HALFBREED
this is the kernel used in ParanoidAndroid 3.+ perfect cross between contrasty and bright

Download: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r...dHalfbreed.zip

Code:
kcal_r = 255;
kcal_g = 255;
kcal_b = 255;

#define g_white       0x40
#define g_black       0x76
#define g_contrast    0x19
#define g_brightness  0x04
#define g_saturation  0x42
#define g_greys       0x20
If you like to help out...
Report back on your findings please!

To those that want to play around with these numbers in their own scripts, moving values higher and lower by hand, WARNING, stick to the defaults you see LG and Google using. Don't burn your device please. If you flash the kernels i link here you are safe, i do not cross the lines, even if i probably could.
The Following 186 Users Say Thank You to molesarecoming For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apascual89
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2124

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Let's calibrate Mako

Just flashed the brighter zip and in my opinion is the best one yet!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

danslecarton
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Where can I get the stock settings?
Just in case I want to go back to them

molesarecoming
Old
Thanks Meter 27246

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by danslecarton View Post
Where can I get the stock settings?
Just in case I want to go back to them
you see them in the linked google commit. RGB is 255, 255, 255.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apascual89 View Post
Just flashed the brighter zip and in my opinion is the best one yet!

took countless of iterations to get there. but im missing the contrasts a little bit. i had a setting before that looked almost sureal, i mean that good. just very dark. which was the downside.

apascual89
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2124

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by molesarecoming View Post
you see them in the linked google commit. RGB is 255, 255, 255.

took countless of iterations to get there. but im missing the contrasts a little bit. i had a setting before that looked almost sureal, i mean that good. just very dark. which was the downside.
I know it's very subjective, but what can we do to help with the feedback besides saying "It's super awesome"?
The Following User Says Thank You to apascual89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scott62185
Old
Thanks Meter 157

Am I correct to assume that we just flash these in recovery? Wipe cache and dalvic?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

danslecarton
Old
Thanks Meter 46
May I ask how I can go back to stock with the values linked in the first post?
I never did that before

apascual89
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2124

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott62185 View Post
Am I correct to assume that we just flash these in recovery? Wipe cache and dalvic?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
yes recovery flash, cache and dalvik not really necessary, but can't hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to apascual89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chughes13x
Old
Thanks Meter 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by molesarecoming View Post
WARNING, stick to the defaults you see LG and Google using. Don't burn your device please.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I highly prefer PA's colors, but don't want screen burn in....

molesarecoming
Old
(Last edited by molesarecoming; 6th February 2013 at 07:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27246

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by apascual89 View Post
I know it's very subjective, but what can we do to help with the feedback besides saying "It's super awesome"?
theres values left that i dont understand. maybe you find them documented or you find out their function by going up and down, thats what i did. basically the idea is that you cant get perfect calibration without understanding these values and its been months since that thing is out and most people still fool around which rgb, missing out on 27 important factors. im trying my best but it costs too much time to go on like this.

a great help would be if you could put it into init.d scripts or something like that. so that people can go on and try.

imore or less figured out these values:

#define g_white -- makes whites pop by pulling contrast. higher values have more detail but look grayish, lower values look stunning but have less detail
#define g_mids
#define g_black -- black point contrast, same as white point just for blacks. larger values make sense here
#define g_contrast
#define g_brightness
#define g_saturation

mids is just a guess. but that means there are still 4-5 values untouched. i see google is using them but i couldnt make out any tangible changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chughes13x View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I highly prefer PA's colors, but don't want screen burn in....

if you dont know the specifics of this kernel and the lg display just stick to the values that lg and google is using. if they dont cross 1F for instance i wouldnt attempt to do it unless i have fully understood what the value does. i have included all these values. or you read them out of the linked commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danslecarton View Post
May I ask how I can go back to stock with the values linked in the first post?
I never did that before
just wash your rom over. but just in case, here's the original google kernel: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/r...tockKernel.zip
make nandroids. this is not meant fr beginners, though. if you know what you are doing you can attempt to flash these kernels if you are certain they will not hurt your system. for these tests im using the aosp google stock kernel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to molesarecoming For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]