Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 52,766 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 4 screen burn in issue

Tip us?

sav_uk
Old
(Last edited by sav_uk; 16th September 2013 at 02:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Nexus 4 screen burn in issue

Hi all,

I've had my N4 since January, and I've noticed that I've started to suffer from a screen burn-like issue. I use Dolphin Browser, and use phase beam live wallpaper (purple one, not red). When I've used dolphin for a few minutes and return to my home screen, I notice that the refresh and '+' icon from dolphin browser are imprinted on the screen. It goes away after about a minute or when I reboot the phone, but I wondered if anyone knew why this would be happening or if there's any solution? Also, when checking my work schedule on Polaris office, I notice that the grid pattern from the excel file is imprinted on my homescreen for a few moments too. Do you think it is worth RMAing for a new device? Everything else is fine.

I'm running stock, unrooted.

Thanks
Current device: Nexus 5 - simply amazing. The best.

Previous smartphones: HTC Desire, HTC Sensation XE, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 4

sav_uk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Bump.
Current device: Nexus 5 - simply amazing. The best.

Previous smartphones: HTC Desire, HTC Sensation XE, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 4

Connor Baker
Old
Thanks Meter 671
It has been explained to me that IPS displays do not get screen burn in. They just "ghost" momentarily. I don't know of a way to avoid this other than possibly lowering the brightness? As you said, it goes away after a few minutes, or a reboot. A reboot should always fix this kind of problem on IPS displays.

But to answer your question: An RMA won't fix it. This happens with all IPS displays, as far as I know.

Connor Baker

My Samsung Infuse is Running Scott's Latest Beanstalk
My Nexus 4 is Running a TeamEOS Build that I've Compiled
My HP Touchpad is Running a TeamEOS Build that I've Compiled
Check out my Continually Updated Folder of Awesome Graphics, Art, And Photos

shadowslash
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I bought my Nexus 4 back in march and sent it in because of a dark vertical line on the left side of the screen that would not go away. Got my replacement about 2 weeks ago and am having the screen burn in issue you are having too. I never had this problem with my old device.
I'll probably wait a month or two and send this one in too if it continues to bother me.
Google Nexus 4
Cyanogenmod 10.1

Previous devices:
HTC Hermes/ At&t 8525 - Sold
At&t Tilt 8925 - Sold
At&t Tilt 2 - Sold
Atrix 4G - Broken beyond repair
Samsung Galaxy S II i777 - Given to girlfriend, now on CM 10.1

shadehh
Old
Thanks Meter 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowslash View Post
I bought my Nexus 4 back in march and sent it in because of a dark vertical line on the left side of the screen that would not go away. Got my replacement about 2 weeks ago and am having the screen burn in issue you are having too. I never had this problem with my old device.
I'll probably wait a month or two and send this one in too if it continues to bother me.
Wow, after reading this i hope some experienced user could tune into this thread and elaborate on what is happening here?

I'm not really worried of getting it any time soon, as i heard it's not supposed to happen on the screen the Nexus 4 sports,however, i could be wrong..Anyone?

NPuter
Old
Thanks Meter 19
This is common with IPS displays, and is not called "burn in" as the effects are temporary. True "burn in" is permanent.
Rather, this is referred to as "image retention" or "image persistence." It was/is a big problem with the new retina Macbook Pros which showed a severe form of this problem (my first one included, got a replacement which is much better, but still shows a bit of image retention sometimes).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

kylealanr
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I've had mine since May and I am just now experiencing this. I have tried displaying a pure white screen overnight a few days a week, but I am unwilling to leave my phone turned off for a few days. Is there any other remedy?

shenmecar
Old
Thanks Meter 34
You guys are asking for a solution to wear and tear? Put the Nexus 4 in a box and don't use it.

ryanraven
Old
Thanks Meter 205
I have this with the Amazon app :') seems like really dark blacks stay on the screen for a few minutes even after the app is closed not a big issue but it got me worried the first time

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Currently Looking At Devices

Qix84
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have the same problem in my LG G2, its IPS Too and have 2 weeks old. I think its normal in IPS Screens.