XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Camera Making Cracking Noise while focussing

Tip us?

sachinthakur82
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Camera Making Cracking Noise while focussing

I updated my Nexus 4 to Kitkat recently and now I am facing problem while taking pictures.
As soon as an image is captured the camera makes a cracking noise from the backside. Sound is like some switch going on and off "tik tik tik tik"

and then if I minimize the camera app phone can used and camera app can be closed and reopened again.

But if I keep it cracking then within 2 secs the phone freezes and restarts itself.

I tried using other apps like Cymera and I am able to take pictures without any problem.

This problem occurs 50% of the times I use stock camera app. Sometime works fine sometimes hangs up.

How do I get rid of this?

Google support suggested factory reset. I have not rooted my phone. Is there any way I can backup few important apps with their data on PC before I try factory reset?

Thanks in advance!!

Scythe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinthakur82 View Post
I updated my Nexus 4 to Kitkat recently and now I am facing problem while taking pictures.
As soon as an image is captured the camera makes a cracking noise from the backside. Sound is like some switch going on and off "tik tik tik tik"

and then if I minimize the camera app phone can used and camera app can be closed and reopened again.

But if I keep it cracking then within 2 secs the phone freezes and restarts itself.

I tried using other apps like Cymera and I am able to take pictures without any problem.

This problem occurs 50% of the times I use stock camera app. Sometime works fine sometimes hangs up.

How do I get rid of this?

Google support suggested factory reset. I have not rooted my phone. Is there any way I can backup few important apps with their data on PC before I try factory reset?

Thanks in advance!!

I think its caused by camera's focus mechanism and it is just a little click noise but yes sometimes it makes very audible noise, especially with HDR function(which does not focus when you press to focus it just seems green. It only focuses when you move phone or it is just me). Can you check and listen closely if other camera apps doing that click noise when you focus ? I dont think factory reset solve this because I do several factory resets and flashing 4.4 it does not change a thing.

AlderCass
Old
Thanks Meter 161
I get that ticking sound as well but only sometimes when I open or close anything that uses the camera, never during focusing. I can't imagine factory reset would help but if you're gonna give it a shot I'd recommend Helium to backup apps https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup though I think you'd need root to backup any system app data.

LG Nexus 5 | ParanoidAndroid 4.2 BETA1 | Franco Kernel
Asus Nexus 7 FHD Wi-Fi | Stock Android 4.4.2 | Franco Kernel | Xposed Framework

sachinthakur82
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Talking Problem Solved

Thanks Scrye & AlderCass,

I did factory reset and tried camera it was working fine. Then google started installing my apps and after that was complete I started getting the problem again. So I got skeptical about some app making the stock camera malfunction. I removed an app called cymera and rebooted the phone.

and to my relief it started behaving awesome like before

Feeling happy