Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,472 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] High amp chargers are unhealty?

Tip us?

kerimkaraman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] High amp chargers are unhealty?

Hi everybody,
I want to buy an another travel charger for my Nexus 4. You know it's original charger is 1.2 amp. It's not selling in everywhere and it's expensive on ebay vs.
I'm thinking about another brand's chargers. If i buy blackberry's 1.8amp charger or samsung's 2.0amp charger, they give damage to my battery? Is my battery life shorten? How long?

Ps: Sorry for my bad english...

snapper.fishes
Old
Thanks Meter 280
It doesn't matter. Your phone's charger chip will restrict the maximum current, so the battery won't be affected. Some people claim that the high current will ruin the USB port, but I seriously doubt that.

kerimkaraman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for answer. So i will buy an 1.8 or 2 amp oem wall charger. Is it better than 1amp charger? And my last question is: how can i measure of chager's real amp value?

boltthrower56
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerimkaraman View Post
Thanks for answer. So i will buy an 1.8 or 2 amp oem wall charger. Is it better than 1amp charger? And my last question is: how can i measure of chager's real amp value?
Doesn't really make a difference , it may heat up though trying to get rid of the excess current. The original charger rates 1.2 Amp.
To measure that , you need a multimeter , buy cheap chinese knockoffs , they are extremely cheap on ebay.
If you want the best , get "fluke".

kerimkaraman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
so i must buy a 1amp or 1.2 amp max?
And i have an multimeter but how can i measure that?

DrFredPhD
Old
Thanks Meter 40
As snapper said, the phone will only draw the current it needs. The current on the charger is the max current it can provide.

slooowr6
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yep, you can't push amp into your phone. The phone will draw what every it's capable of.