5,606,201 Members 32,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CM11] Stable to nightly

Tip us?

Foxnov1990
Old
(Last edited by Foxnov1990; 23rd January 2014 at 11:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default [CM11] Stable to nightly

I have just installed my first ROM on my Nexus 4 being CyanogenMod 11 (the stable release).

The thing is, in "about phone" I only have "system updates". While a mate of mine has a lot of nightlies showing up there. For me it just shows a normal system update as it was on a normal unrooted phone.
----

My question is: is there a way to go from this stable release to a nightly release so that I'm able to keep updating to nightlies without erasing everything and configuring all over? (like just flash a nightly and it's fixed)
In other words, can I flash the latest nightly over my stable release and continue there without wiping anything?

Any advice is helpful!
Using:

\\ Running CM 11 rom. //

If this post helped, feel free to hit that pretty "Thanks" button

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxnov1990 View Post
I have just installed my first ROM on my Nexus 4 being CyanogenMod 11 (the stable release).

The thing is, in "about phone" I only have "system updates". While a mate of mine has a lot of nightlies showing up there. For me it just shows a normal system update as it was on a normal unrooted phone.
----

My question is: is there a way to go from this stable release to a nightly release so that I'm able to keep updating to nightlies without erasing everything and configuring all over? (like just flash a nightly and it's fixed)
In other words, can I flash the latest nightly over my stable release and continue there without wiping anything?

Any advice is helpful!
Yes, just flash over it. (dirty flashing is what they call it) I would make a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

The Following User Says Thank You to Berrydroidcafe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Foxnov1990
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrydroidcafe View Post
Yes, just flash over it. (dirty flashing is what they call it) I would make a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Was kinda scared to do it because I read several contradicting statements.
So thank you for pushing me into that direction!

I did it and now not only the nightly is on there but also the option to update to newer nightlies. Thank you!
Using:

\\ Running CM 11 rom. //

Berrydroidcafe
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxnov1990 View Post
Was kinda scared to do it because I read several contradicting statements.
So thank you for pushing me into that direction!

I did it and now not only the nightly is on there but also the option to update to newer nightlies. Thank you!
No problem. Just a side note, it's usually a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the new nightly. Doing a backup also. That new nightly sometime breaks things.

Blackberry Bold 9780 OS 7
HTC G2 (Desire Z) 4.4.2
LG Nexus 4 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4.2

Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if I helped in any way!

Foxnov1990
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrydroidcafe View Post
No problem. Just a side note, it's usually a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the new nightly. Doing a backup also. That new nightly sometime breaks things.

I'll surely keep that in mind for the next time I'm updating to a newer release.
Because ye, thats the risk of sticking to nightlies though. But I've "broken" my nexus so many times that I'm sure I can handle it.

Just for this, after recovering the afternoon I had no intention of doing that again for this
Using:

\\ Running CM 11 rom. //