Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[CM11] Stable to nightly

OP Foxnov1990

24th January 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #1  
Foxnov1990's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Peer
Thanks Meter: 44
 
196 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
I have just installed my first ROM on my Nexus 4 being CyanogenMod 11 (the stable release).

The thing is, in "about phone" I only have "system updates". While a mate of mine has a lot of nightlies showing up there. For me it just shows a normal system update as it was on a normal unrooted phone.
----

My question is: is there a way to go from this stable release to a nightly release so that I'm able to keep updating to nightlies without erasing everything and configuring all over? (like just flash a nightly and it's fixed)
In other words, can I flash the latest nightly over my stable release and continue there without wiping anything?

Any advice is helpful!
Last edited by Foxnov1990; 24th January 2014 at 12:34 AM.
24th January 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #2  
Berrydroidcafe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Thanks Meter: 231
 
1,032 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxnov1990

I have just installed my first ROM on my Nexus 4 being CyanogenMod 11 (the stable release).

The thing is, in "about phone" I only have "system updates". While a mate of mine has a lot of nightlies showing up there. For me it just shows a normal system update as it was on a normal unrooted phone.
----

My question is: is there a way to go from this stable release to a nightly release so that I'm able to keep updating to nightlies without erasing everything and configuring all over? (like just flash a nightly and it's fixed)
In other words, can I flash the latest nightly over my stable release and continue there without wiping anything?

Any advice is helpful!

Yes, just flash over it. (dirty flashing is what they call it) I would make a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
The Following User Says Thank You to Berrydroidcafe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2014, 12:49 AM   |  #3  
Foxnov1990's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Peer
Thanks Meter: 44
 
196 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrydroidcafe

Yes, just flash over it. (dirty flashing is what they call it) I would make a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3

Was kinda scared to do it because I read several contradicting statements.
So thank you for pushing me into that direction!

I did it and now not only the nightly is on there but also the option to update to newer nightlies. Thank you!
24th January 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #4  
Berrydroidcafe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Thanks Meter: 231
 
1,032 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxnov1990

Was kinda scared to do it because I read several contradicting statements.
So thank you for pushing me into that direction!

I did it and now not only the nightly is on there but also the option to update to newer nightlies. Thank you!

No problem. Just a side note, it's usually a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the new nightly. Doing a backup also. That new nightly sometime breaks things.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
24th January 2014, 01:06 AM   |  #5  
Foxnov1990's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Peer
Thanks Meter: 44
 
196 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrydroidcafe

No problem. Just a side note, it's usually a good idea to wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the new nightly. Doing a backup also. That new nightly sometime breaks things.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3

I'll surely keep that in mind for the next time I'm updating to a newer release.
Because ye, thats the risk of sticking to nightlies though. But I've "broken" my nexus so many times that I'm sure I can handle it.

Just for this, after recovering the afternoon I had no intention of doing that again for this
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes