Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 54,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot connect through Android File Transfer on Mac

Tip us?
 
mj56gt
Old
(Last edited by mj56gt; 7th July 2014 at 11:22 PM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 179
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default Cannot connect through Android File Transfer on Mac

For some reason, when my Nexus 4 with stock 4.4.4 (rooted with TWRP) is connected through USB cable to my Mac desktop with Android File Transfer, the connection cannot be established. The message says:

Could not connect to device
Try reconnecting or restarting your device

The strange thing is that 1) I can connect to my Nexus 4 through adb with no problem; 2) I have no trouble at all connecting my Nexus 10 with stock 4.4.4 (rooted with TWRP) to my Mac through Android File Transfer. Anyone know what could be the issue with my Nexus 4?
 
thebuga
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj56gt View Post
For some reason, when my Nexus 4 with stock 4.4.4 (rooted with TWRP) is connected through USB cable to my Mac desktop with Android File Transfer, the connection cannot be established. The message says:

Could not connect to device
Try reconnecting or restarting your device

The strange thing is that 1) I can connect to my Nexus 4 through adb with no problem; 2) I have no trouble at all connecting my Nexus 10 with stock 4.4.4 (rooted with TWRP) to my Mac through Android File Transfer. Anyone know what could be the issue with my Nexus 4?
Have you checked if it is using MTP instead of PTP? MTP is the correct option to use with Android File Transfer.
 
mj56gt
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 179
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuga View Post
Have you checked if it is using MTP instead of PTP? MTP is the correct option to use with Android File Transfer.
Thanks for the help! My N4 has been set with MTP all the time, so that is not the cause for the problem.
 
thebuga
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj56gt View Post
Thanks for the help! My N4 has been set with MTP all the time, so that is not the cause for the problem.
Few things come to mind.

1. go PTP and then return to MTP

2. Disable USB Debug and re-enable (or enable then disable, if that suits better your situation)

3. "Revoke USB debugging authorizations" also at Developer Options.
 
mj56gt
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 179
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuga View Post
Few things come to mind.

1. go PTP and then return to MTP

2. Disable USB Debug and re-enable (or enable then disable, if that suits better your situation)

3. "Revoke USB debugging authorizations" also at Developer Options.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Just tried all the three things, but unfortunately the problem remains. Really puzzled by this: my Nexus 10 has basically the same setup and connects fine with my Mac.
 
thebuga
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj56gt View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

Just tried all the three things, but unfortunately the problem remains. Really puzzled by this: my Nexus 10 has basically the same setup and connects fine with my Mac.
My knowledge for in-system solutions has come to an end. I can only think now of (1) cleaning cache and dalvik cache, (2) factory reset and (3) factory restore via factory image.

Are you willing to take this route?
Tags
usb connection issue
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...