Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

CWM recovery reboot prompted for recovery disable & root - now stuck in boot loop

OP limenuke

25th August 2014, 10:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I was trying to unlock my Nexus 4. I've done this before on a Galaxy Nexus, successfully but something went wrong here.

Just got CWM Recovery on. I tried to reboot using the recovery and it provided me with two prompts:

1) Do you want to disable the stock recovery install? [ I hit NO ]
2) Do you want to root your device (I believe this is what it asked) [ I hit YES ]

Now my phone is stuck in a reboot loop. I can get into recovery with no problem (and it is still the CWM one). I've tried reloading the recovery to no avail. What are my options to try to fix this?
I have tried fastboot erase cache but it did not restore my phone.
Last edited by limenuke; 25th August 2014 at 10:43 PM.
25th August 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 102

342 posts
Update your recovery or try to flash another recovery. Twrp is recommended here. Cwm also gave me some hard time with bootloop and stuff
26th August 2014, 12:35 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCody

Update your recovery or try to flash another recovery. Twrp is recommended here. Cwm also gave me some hard time with bootloop and stuff

I tried flashing TWRP, but I get the Can't mount /data, Can't mount internal storage, etc etc. I can't flash .zips at all and I feel like my only way out is to use fastboot to deal with things. Even now, I'm trying fastboot and it's stuck trying to send the factory Nexus 4 4.4.4 ROM over...

I have no idea how to safely fall back now. I just want my phone back ASAP.
26th August 2014, 01:06 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Just tried flashing 5 out of the 6 imgs to my phone using fastboot (didn't flash recovery). and I'm STILL stuck on the loading screen (10 minutes). Which means I'm still having the problem...I have no idea what to do now.
26th August 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,510

10,200 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limenuke

Just tried flashing 5 out of the 6 imgs to my phone using fastboot (didn't flash recovery). and I'm STILL stuck on the loading screen (10 minutes). Which means I'm still having the problem...I have no idea what to do now.

Flash recovery in fastboot. This'll put the stock recovery on. Do a factory rest in the stock recovery. Then flash the twrp image in fastboot and re-root

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
26th August 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #6  
Flag Kottayam
Thanks Meter: 7

58 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by limenuke

I was trying to unlock my Nexus 4. I've done this before on a Galaxy Nexus, successfully but something went wrong here.

Just got CWM Recovery on. I tried to reboot using the recovery and it provided me with two prompts:

1) Do you want to disable the stock recovery install? [ I hit NO ]
2) Do you want to root your device (I believe this is what it asked) [ I hit YES ]

Now my phone is stuck in a reboot loop. I can get into recovery with no problem (and it is still the CWM one). I've tried reloading the recovery to no avail. What are my options to try to fix this?
I have tried fastboot erase cache but it did not restore my phone.

Flash it again. Remember to clean out the cache and dalvik cache every time you flash a zip.
This is why most phones get stuck in a boot loop when flashing a new ROM.

As long as you have the custom recovery, you don't need to flash custom recovery
Hope this helps!
27th August 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 53

317 posts
More
I would also recommend PhilZ's recovery. Best of both CWM and TWRP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread