Watch This Now!

Analysis & Opinion

[Q] Does the E960 N4 have the same sim tray as Optimus G E970?

284 posts
Thanks Meter: 69
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So I searched 4 pages of SIM card threads and didn't see this answered...

I have a white N4 which I've lost the tray for. eBay has a plethora of black SIM trays for the N4. They have ZERO white trays. You can buy a white LG Optimus G tray which seems to be the exact same sized tray on the metal cradle part. Has anyone ever tried using a Optimus G E975 tray in the N4? The part I'm concerned about isn't the metal cradle, its the plastic at the tip. I could see that being a tad different and causing the tray not to seat.

My other alternative is to use the lone misc black tray I have and tape off the metal and rattle can the plastic white. I'd rather not do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to aygriffith For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 10:26 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 69
Donate to Me
Well I'll answer my own question and forever deposit it in the XDA repository of information...

Does a LG Optimus G E970 sim tray fit a Nexus 4: Sorta.

The White one on the left is the E970's. It will insert into the N4 and come out just fine with a sim card ejector tool. It's even clearly holding the sim with the same metal tray as the black original Nexus 4 tray. The problem is its clearly not tall enough on the plastic cap. It's a similar shape but the one I was shipped from a E970 is maybe a mm too short.

So if you have a white Nexus 4, whatever you do, do not lose the sim card tray. It's next to impossible to find a replacement.
Next stop: Autozone. The black one is getting some white (really probably a cream) colored touch up paint job. And of course the case isn't a brilliant white, it's a hard to match off white.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Last edited by aygriffith; 8th March 2014 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to aygriffith For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 07:09 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I tried to find a white Nexus 4 for my sister, but they are hard to come by. So I figured I'd just buy as black one and get a white replacement back cover from ebay. Only thing I forgot about is the sim tray, which indeed is not sold on ebay AT ALL. I also figured that the Optimus G was likely to have the same sim tray. Thanks to you at least now I know that I should get one for the E960. So thank you I guess .

I did actually find places that sell white replacement sim trays, but 10 euro + shipping is a bit steep for such a tiny simple component... Still trying to find an alternative.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered one here for $8 including shipping. I'll let you know if it fits properly when I get it. I have a Black Nexus 4 that has an original housing that I can use to test if it'll fit a non-eBay back cover.
Last edited by accountabc; 23rd May 2014 at 07:17 PM.
23rd May 2014, 07:30 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 58
I'm puzzled as to how one can even lose/break the simtray. Its not like you pull it in and out everyday.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
24th May 2014, 03:18 PM |#5  
Flag Saint-Brieuc
Thanks Meter: 2,219
Donate to Me
I bought the Nexus 4 last year, but I decided to change from black to white color 4 days ago. I've ordered this item :

I think it's the better choice, the difference does not look so huge. But, if this simtray from Optimus G is so different in real, I will buy a nexus 4's simtray from "electron-parts". But, as you said, the price is really high for a so simple part like this ...

It's just ths simtray, then I think this will not be disturbing

My story was a little different, because I have not lost my simtray, but I have just changed my color battery cover.
8th June 2014, 12:08 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6
Originally Posted by Oxious119

I'm puzzled as to how one can even lose/break the simtray. [...]

Well, in my case I bought a white back to convert a black N4 to a white one. The white back does not come with a white sim tray however.

The "electron-parts" sim tray I linked to in my previous post is no good by the way. It fits, but the outside of the tray does not follow the curves of the nexus 4 housing very well; The white piece on it is rectangle shaped without rounded edges. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 20.11.09.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	2786979  
Last edited by accountabc; 8th June 2014 at 12:13 PM.
8th June 2014, 12:14 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 58
I ordered a white back for mine as my original black one cracked. Don't even know if it comes with buttons/tray. But I don't mind using the black ones I have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

nexus 4, parts, sim card, sim tray

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread