XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Edit system files

Tip us?

mrzonk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Edit system files

Hey all. I'm trying to edit some of the system files like build.prop but after opening it with my files explorer editor and editing, I can't save it with the changes I've made. I'm running rastakat 4.4 KRT16O build. Any suggestions?

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzonk View Post
Hey all. I'm trying to edit some of the system files like build.prop but after opening it with my files explorer editor and editing, I can't save it with the changes I've made. I'm running rastakat 4.4 KRT16O build. Any suggestions?
You need to edit it with a root explorer, like ES File Explorer with root enabled, or copy the build.prop to your /sdcard folder, edit it, then copy it back and fix the file permission to rw-r-r, or 644. You can also download build.prop editor apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrzonk
Old
(Last edited by mrzonk; 23rd November 2013 at 11:40 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks for fast response. Already using es files explorer. Where can I find that option? Also please let me know how to change permissions if I use the copy / paste option.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzonk View Post
Thanks for fast response. Already using es files explorer. Where can I find that option?

Swipe from left to right in the gray bar in the bottom to bring up the menu, tap on Tools to expand it, turn on "Root Explorer" option, grant it Superuser privilege. Wait a few seconds you will see a white window pop up, select Mount R/W, make sure all the paths are set to RW.

If you don't see the white popup window, tap on the word "Root Explorer" listed under Tools and it will pop up.
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrzonk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
Swipe from left to right in the gray bar in the bottom to bring up the menu, tap on Tools to expand it, turn on "Root Explorer" option, grant it Superuser privilege. Wait a few seconds you will see a white window pop up, select Mount R/W, make sure all the paths are set to RW.

If you don't see the white popup window, tap on the word "Root Explorer" listed under Tools and it will pop up.
Worked like a charm mate. Thanks for your help.