OP mversion

25th May 2013, 11:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 18

59 posts
More
Hey guys,

just got a Nexus 4 yesterday and it looks like I can't login to Facebook Messenger with my new phone. I am able to use Facebook messenger on my other Android devices with no issues.
Even the main Facebook app loads and runs just fine, but everytime I load up Messenger I get a "Something went wrong. Please try again." error.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled. Installed old versions, cleared app data and cache. Tried on stock and CM10.1 nightlies. Nothing. Even changed my password to something simpler, in case it didn't like the special characters. But nope.

Google would suggest a mix match of people having this issue and no resolution.

Anyone came across this issue and found a solution?
29th May 2013, 12:54 PM   |  #2  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 17

60 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have you found a fix for this yet? Mine has been the same since I got it on the 9th of April. Works flawlessly on my N10 and worked on my S2 as well.
30th May 2013, 02:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

59 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maustin96

Have you found a fix for this yet? Mine has been the same since I got it on the 9th of April. Works flawlessly on my N10 and worked on my S2 as well.

Nope. I've posted this issue on Reddit Nexus 4 sub too. I've emailed android-support@fb.com but I'm not hopeful. Hopefully there'll be a fix. But yeah, somehow it's an app + hardware combination. I get the same issue with my wife's login. Facebook app OK, messenger not OK. But don't have any issues with any other device.
18th June 2013, 01:03 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

15 posts
I have the exact same issue on my n4. Fb app work, messenger and pages don't. Works on n7, tf300t, xperia arc etc. I can get messenger to work using old release though. Still not ideal, but try 1.8.002 release.

Very frustrating fb please fix asap

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clemoly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2013, 01:42 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

59 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemoly

...Still not ideal, but try 1.8.002 release.

Thanks for that. I tried a few other 2.X releases which didn't work, but the 1.8.002 release you suggested does indeed work for me too. I got it from: http://www.androiddrawer.com/1954/do...-8-002-app-apk for anyone else having the same issue.

I emailed Facebook support back when I started this thread, and still heard nothing back. I expect a copy/paste response when I do though.
The Following User Says Thank You to mversion For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2013, 10:51 AM   |  #6  
Flag Perth

60 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks mversion and Clemoly!
30th July 2013, 12:03 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

59 posts
More
Just an update that the newly released version (2.6.1) doesn't work either. Instead of giving a "something went wrong" error, it just continuously takes me back to the CONTINUE AS "FB NAME" screen. My last hope is that Jelly Bean 4.3 fixes it. But probably not.
30th July 2013, 01:22 PM   |  #8  
Flag Perth

60 posts
Donate to Me
More
We all live in Australia.... Weird...
14th August 2013, 05:09 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mversion

Just an update that the newly released version (2.6.1) doesn't work either. Instead of giving a "something went wrong" error, it just continuously takes me back to the CONTINUE AS "FB NAME" screen. My last hope is that Jelly Bean 4.3 fixes it. But probably not.

This happen to me too, i don't receive the messages notifications and i have also the same message (something went wrong).

i am using the last version
22nd August 2013, 11:28 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

59 posts
More
I had a chance to install Facebook Messenger on a colleague's Nexus 4 (he didn't have it previously installed, nor does he have a Facebook account) and lo and behold, I was able to sign in with my own credentials.

So I thought I'd format my Nexus, start fresh and install Facebook Messenger before I installed anything else, including the Facebook main app. Well, I STILL GET THE DAMN SOMETHING WENT WRONG ERROR. The peculiar thing is that it didn't even get to the stage where it would send me a verification SMS (Facebook's 2-step verification feature), it just said something went wrong and that's it.

Somehow, just somehow, this feels like a hardware related thing. I don't know, but I think I am going to offer my colleague some money to swap our Nexus!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread