[Q] Fast battery discharge

30th June 2014, 07:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

163 posts
My Nexus 4 is just over a year old. It has been performing really well throughout this period. A month back, the soft buttons on the screen stopped working and I got the screen replaced. The phone was working very well even after this. I am running only the stock Android. I haven't rooted the phone yet.

Over the last few days, the battery discharge has been fast and unpredictable. I have attached the Battery screenshot. I shall explain the sequence of events to describe the screenshot.

The battery goes from 40-50 to 0 in one go! (the first downward steep drop). Phone had already switched off. I connected it to a charging point and restarted the phone.

While the phone was being charged (the slow upward red slope), I did some research on this. Since, Google Play Services was consuming most of the battery, the following solution seemed to be good to follow.

(Disable Hangouts, sign out of Google+, turn ON Location Reporting, reboot, then reenable Hangouts and sign back into G+),

I tried this. Once I rebooted, the battery power was 56% !! (The steep upward climb)

I used it for some time. And kept it on charge to charge it completely. But after some time, the battery charge dropped to 19% (the second drop in the screenshot). I rebooted the phone again. And this resulted in the next battery charge spike upto 45%!!

I tried searching for Hangouts app or Google+ app on the phone. But they no longer exist in the app drawer.

Is this a battery issue? Or some software issue? Should I try a factory reset?

Edit1: Added a larger image of the battery stats.
------
An avid Nexus 4 fan !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-30 06.14.33.png
Views:	106
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2825002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-30 07.51.13.png
Views:	111
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2825118  
Last edited by harishvr9; 30th June 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Another image of battery stats
30th June 2014, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 102

342 posts
That is some really strange behavior. It either can be a software or a hardware issue.
You may do a factory reset and install a factory image. Be sure that you charge your batterie to maximum first before doing the reset. If there is still this drops than it mostly is a hardware issue. Replacing the batterie could help.

Also a huge N4 fan. High five for that! ;D
30th June 2014, 08:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

163 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCody

That is some really strange behavior. It either can be a software or a hardware issue.
You may do a factory reset and install a factory image. Be sure that you charge your batterie to maximum first before doing the reset. If there is still this drops than it mostly is a hardware issue. Replacing the batterie could help.

Also a huge N4 fan. High five for that! ;D

Yes. Concerned about the battery

I havent rooted the phone. Would I need to do that for installing a factory image?

P.S. I have added another image with a better depiction of the battery behavior.
30th June 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #4  

342 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishvr9

Yes. Concerned about the battery

I havent rooted the phone. Would I need to do that for installing a factory image?

P.S. I have added another image with a better depiction of the battery behavior.

You just need an open bootloader. Root is not required.
30th June 2014, 09:03 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

163 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCody

You just need an open bootloader. Root is not required.

Wouldn't a simple factory reset from the phone's menu suffice? What is the difference?
30th June 2014, 09:14 AM   |  #6  

342 posts
Like I said before, try a normal factory reset first and if this does not work then flash a factory image. In the most case a normal factory reset will do.

The difference between a reset and a factory image is like a white shirt you are washing. A reset is like putting this shirt in the washing machine if it has stains. It will be white and clean again. But after some time those stains wouldn't go away completely and your white shirt isn't that white like before anymore. Flashing a factory image will be like buying a new white shirt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCody For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2014, 09:15 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 247

788 posts
More
@harishvr9: If you want to be 100 sure it is not a software issue, you should flash the latest factory image on your phone with fastboot. For this, you will need a working fastboot or (Android SDK) on your computer, the N4 factory image from HERE and being able to boot into bootloader mode (VolDown+Power).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erovia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2014, 09:18 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

163 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erovia

@harishvr9: If you want to be 100 sure it is not a software issue, you should flash the latest factory image on your phone with fastboot. For this, you will need a working fastboot or (Android SDK) on your computer, the N4 factory image from HERE and being able to boot into bootloader mode (VolDown+Power).

Thanks !! I am sure there would be a thread on XDA to guide me on this!
30th June 2014, 11:43 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 9

144 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishvr9

My Nexus 4 is just over a year old. It has been performing really well throughout this period. A month back, the soft buttons on the screen stopped working and I got the screen replaced. The phone was working very well even after this. I am running only the stock Android. I haven't rooted the phone yet.

Over the last few days, the battery discharge has been fast and unpredictable. I have attached the Battery screenshot. I shall explain the sequence of events to describe the screenshot.

The battery goes from 40-50 to 0 in one go! (the first downward steep drop). Phone had already switched off. I connected it to a charging point and restarted the phone.

While the phone was being charged (the slow upward red slope), I did some research on this. Since, Google Play Services was consuming most of the battery, the following solution seemed to be good to follow.

(Disable Hangouts, sign out of Google+, turn ON Location Reporting, reboot, then reenable Hangouts and sign back into G+),

I tried this. Once I rebooted, the battery power was 56% !! (The steep upward climb)

I used it for some time. And kept it on charge to charge it completely. But after some time, the battery charge dropped to 19% (the second drop in the screenshot). I rebooted the phone again. And this resulted in the next battery charge spike upto 45%!!

I tried searching for Hangouts app or Google+ app on the phone. But they no longer exist in the app drawer.

Is this a battery issue? Or some software issue? Should I try a factory reset?

Edit1: Added a larger image of the battery stats.
------
An avid Nexus 4 fan !!

Same symptoms.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...ttery-t2797981
30th June 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

163 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erovia

@CCody and @Erovia .. pls Help ..

I unlocked the bootloader. But when I am trying to flash the factory image via flash command i get this response.

""flash is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

What did I do wrong? Fastboot.exe is there in the sdk/platform-tools folder.

Now I am stuck on the "Lock State - Unlocked " screen

Edit - Got it working !! Thanks a ton! Will report whether it worked or not
Last edited by harishvr9; 30th June 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread