Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,687 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] For those with their Nexus 4, is the earpiece making a screeching noise?

Tip us?

losimagic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] For those with their Nexus 4, is the earpiece making a screeching noise?

If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening
The Following User Says Thank You to losimagic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rshea
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Yes, mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by losimagic View Post
If I place my Nexus 4 against my ear, I can hear high pitched screeching and some popping coming from the earpiece, even when a call is not taking place. At first I thought it was a heat issue, maybe some capacitors or something getting a bit hot and whistling, so I turned the phone off and the noises stopped instantly.

This is pretty annoying and surely shouldn't be happening
I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.

yyz71
Old
Thanks Meter 370
WOW so many problems already with this thing!!! I don't know about this phone right now
Phone Nexus 5 32Gb
Rom Stock Deodexed 4.4.4
Kernel ElementalX-N5- 1.00
Carrier Wind Mobile 4g

losimagic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshea View Post
I'm glad you posted that, mine does it too - and I thought I had a faulty phone.
According to support I'm the first to report such a problem, have you called support about it? - 0800 328 6081.
The more of us that call, the better the chance it's sorted (if it's possible).

I can't live with that noise, it's too loud for me as I have sensitive hearing on interference like that.
So it looks like I'm sending mine back for a refund and go buy a S3

It does sound like poor build quality in suppressing electrical interference to the ear speaker, as you say capacitors or even a processor is leaking noise to that speaker in the same way cell/mobile radio causes to external speakers when brought close to them.
I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it > . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.

rshea
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by losimagic View Post
I returned it to the store for a refund - they refused to swap it for another as they couldn't hear it > . I've ordered another which I should get tomorrow, and if that has the same issue I'm not sure what to do - it doesn't really sound like something that can be fixed through software, does it?

I asked on another forum and one person replied saying that there's was ok, but maybe they're ears just aren't as sensitive as ours.

I remember as a kid, I could hear CRT TVs from a long way off (no sound was coming through the speakers) and nobody else could.
I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.

losimagic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshea View Post
I think you're right, I too always heard a CRT working (I still can when I see one working!)
Maybe we're hearing interference the average user is not going to hear.

If anyone else is reading this and owns a Nexus 4, try calling your voicemail (which I assume would be free for you) - during the call wait for a few seconds and listen carefully, it's more obvious when you're not talking and in a call.
The noise is almost like having a small fly trapped between the phone and your ear at times, it also reminds me of the noise a hard drive makes at times and most of us know what that sounds like.
I got it even when I wasn't on a call - a few seconds after powering up the phone and it was there

florian3000
Old
Thanks Meter 14
You guys are nerds

No, I can feel your pain! Hopefully you guys can sort this out and this is in general not a common problem with the N4.

n7of9
Old
Thanks Meter 149
i don't have this issue
.Nexii. N5 stock rooted, Xposed and Gravity box - i feel so free!! || N7 CleanROM v4.0 || N7.2 Minimus

raze599
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
It seems to be an issue with the electromagnetic shielding. I get this problem when I am next to my sound system and amplifier. Those things arent shielded. Now in school where theres basically nothing else here my earpiece is completely clean. Not even a hiss.

Hallucinogen775
Old
Thanks Meter 17
does it also emit a sound when it is swithced on, but the screen is off? i remember i had sth. like this (high-pitched sound) on my first google nexus s, but it was clearly coming from the screen rather than the earpiece.