Soft touch buttons unresponsive

30th June 2014, 01:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 4

32 posts
More
I have a Nexus 4 and I am on Android 4.4. I recently encountered the issue of my soft touch buttons (back, home, recent apps) being unresponsive, the rest of the screen works but my buttons don't respond to touch. I can still slide ip for Google now though.

I tried restarting my device and even upgraded to a newer build of 4.4, no luck.
30th June 2014, 03:28 AM   |  #2  
Flag jalandhar
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
More
R u on stock or custom rom? Try to flash stock rom from developer google site.. If nt solved thn go to lg service centr it seems touch problm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th June 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Philadelphia

32 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by parveen75

R u on stock or custom rom? Try to flash stock rom from developer google site.. If nt solved thn go to lg service centr it seems touch problm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

After some digging, there's a whole Google products forum post on this issue. It's disgusting that Google won't acknowledge it, looks like it's a hardware issue associated with overheating and the 4.4.2 update.

Temporary solution is to use another soft keys app, but I'll have to ditch this phone ASAP, I'm out of warranty and Google will not fix something they caused.
30th June 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #4  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 82

288 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcedric

After some digging, there's a whole Google products forum post on this issue. It's disgusting that Google won't acknowledge it, looks like it's a hardware issue associated with overheating and the 4.4.2 update.

Temporary solution is to use another soft keys app, but I'll have to ditch this phone ASAP, I'm out of warranty and Google will not fix something they caused.

That heat thing sounds odd to me. Do the home buttons work in landscape (With the earpiece to your right)?
30th June 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Philadelphia

32 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopezk38

That heat thing sounds odd to me. Do the home buttons work in landscape (With the earpiece to your right)?

Yes, it does, but the touch input isn't recognized in the developer options. It's all documented here:
https://productforums.google.com/for...us/7SNIT8xPYzc
30th June 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #6  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 63

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcedric

Yes, it does, but the touch input isn't recognized in the developer options. It's all documented here:
https://productforums.google.com/for...us/7SNIT8xPYzc

As said by many peolple in the thread you posted, it clearly seems to be a software issue :
- problem appeared after an update
- screen zone is fully functionnal with touch input (immersive mode or landscape tests proves it)

as said by parveen75, try to flash stock rom from developer google site (with a version on wich you know didn't have the problem, ie 4.2 ?)
30th June 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Philadelphia

32 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by popinterfaces

As said by many peolple in the thread you posted, it clearly seems to be a software issue :
- problem appeared after an update
- screen zone is fully functionnal with touch input (immersive mode or landscape tests proves it)

as said by parveen75, try to flash stock rom from developer google site (with a version on wich you know didn't have the problem, ie 4.2 ?)

I will try that, but it seems odd that other people would have the problem fixed after a screen replacement, which would identify it as a hardware issue.
1st July 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #8  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 63

45 posts
More
maybe the screen replacement method (used by repair services/centers) came with a reset/flash of the rom.
What is even more strange is that some people seem to encounter the same bug again even after a screen replacement.

Please, keep us informed if the flash method solved the bug.
I'm currently still on 4.4.2 (for development needs) and i'm worried i could face the same problem !
3rd July 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Philadelphia

32 posts
More
I've confirmed that it's a hardware issue and has affected a lot of users who updated. I cannot touch the area of the screen in full screen apps.

Google should be warned and issue a statement about this, this is very bad news for us users.
3rd July 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Philadelphia

32 posts
More
The fact that it works after a screen replacement with no software modifications is proof enough. Time to vow to never buy a Google product again...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread