Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Possible fix for my Nexus 4?

OP Espada04

10th July 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Here is my problem. I have a Nexus 4 that constantly powers off. And by power off, I mean as soon as the Nexus 4 boots up into the OS, the phone starts the power off sequence.

What I've tried so far was:
- in recovery did a factory reset, wiped both the data and cache partition.
- tried reloading the official nexus 4 firmware. Tried the 4.4.4 and 4.4.3 image
- used fastboot to load up a custom recover only to realize there is no rom on the phone itself to install from so that's out of the question pretty much.
- I tried the adb sideload but the computer doesn't see the nexus 4. the computer however sees the phone when it boots into the OS but the phone starts the shutdown operation as soon as it loads the start screen.

If it's hardware issue, then I guess there's no point in trying to fix it. But if it's only software related I want to at least try to see if it can be saved. lol


Any suggestions?
10th July 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #2  
Roastmeat's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 24
 
157 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Well I know this happens when you have 0% battery

maybe your battery isn't charging?
10th July 2014, 08:28 AM   |  #3  
danmen2's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Try booting with your N4 plugged and leave it plugged so 5 minutes, check your battery status and if it's ok unplug it and cross your fingers.
11th July 2014, 05:24 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastmeat

Well I know this happens when you have 0% battery

maybe your battery isn't charging?

I thought about that at first. but according to twrp the battery life was above 70% and can run on battery perfectly fine. The phone doesn't actually belong to me. She gave up trying to fix her problem and got a new phone. I just got curious and want to find out what is causing the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen2

Try booting with your N4 plugged and leave it plugged so 5 minutes, check your battery status and if it's ok unplug it and cross your fingers.


I left the battery charging all of last night just to try it regardless of what the status said. It was hovering at around 70-80% according to TWRP before I plugged it in. It actually made progress today. The phone booted up. So I put in LPV just for the fun of it. The first time it booted up into LPV, it was doing the shut down process as well. Plugged it back into the wall for 5 mins, unplugged it and turned on like normal. Went through the set up process.

Left it sitting there for about an hour. Then decided to shut down the phone and restart it to see if that issue would return. Didn't return until Play Store started doing updates. The phone shut down. Powered it back up and it was fine. lol. Battery life right now is sitting at 78% and battery widget reborn is saying the temperature is 39C. So it coule very well be the battery. But my friend said the guy she brought the phone for repairs supposedly changed the battery. lol. So I don't know.
11th July 2014, 08:47 AM   |  #5  
danmen2's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espada04

I left the battery charging all of last night just to try it regardless of what the status said. It was hovering at around 70-80% according to TWRP before I plugged it in. It actually made progress today. The phone booted up. So I put in LPV just for the fun of it. The first time it booted up into LPV, it was doing the shut down process as well. Plugged it back into the wall for 5 mins, unplugged it and turned on like normal. Went through the set up process.

Left it sitting there for about an hour. Then decided to shut down the phone and restart it to see if that issue would return. Didn't return until Play Store started doing updates. The phone shut down. Powered it back up and it was fine. lol. Battery life right now is sitting at 78% and battery widget reborn is saying the temperature is 39C. So it coule very well be the battery. But my friend said the guy she brought the phone for repairs supposedly changed the battery. lol. So I don't know.

Yeah, sounds like a possible bad repair. Try another thing, flash a kernel not based on stock, like hell's doctor or hell's core. After 4.4.4 there are several issues like boot loops and shutdowns with kernels based on stock.
11th July 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen2

Yeah, sounds like a possible bad repair. Try another thing, flash a kernel not based on stock, like hell's doctor or hell's core. After 4.4.4 there are several issues like boot loops and shutdowns with kernels based on stock.


Well it's running Android L Preview port so it's not running 4.4.4 based rom. At least to my knowledge. I'm going to see how long this last. I suspect they didn't really replace the battery or it could be an issue on the motherboard side not detecting the proper charge level on the battery? But battery life so far on the phone seems pretty crappy. 13% in the last 45 minutes on airplane mode with wifi on.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes