FORUMS

What Do You Think About Fingerprint Scanners?

More and more phones are featuring fingerprint scanners, and with many promising … more

What’s Next for Samsung and Its Flagships?

If we were to say that the Galaxy S6 was a leap of faith made by Samsung, we … more

The Ultimate Showcase of dBrand Skins

In the search for ways to protect, accessorize, and personalize; a user has many options. One … more

Huawei’s Rapid Rise to Third Place in the Smartphone Race

Huawei has quickly grown to become one of the world’s biggest … more

Cannot flash system.img, df shows no system partition

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By StefanoRedi, Junior Member on 12th February 2013, 05:04 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi everybody!! I have a BIG issue: my nexus 4 is unlocked, with the CWM recovery and CyanogenMod 10.1 installed. Due to some technical problems, I decided to flash the factory rom again (following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312) but I can't do it!! Indeed when I try to flash the factory rom the prompt says

file:could not allocate 544035848 bytes
error:cannot load system.img :not enough space

And when i checked the system capacity the result is that my system partition doesn't exist (as you can see on the pic attached)!

I wish to send my phone back to google with the RMA (it was delivered 7 days ago) but I'm not sure that the warranty is still valid (what do you think about that?). Indeed there is no OS now, and everything is unlocked.

Anybody could help me?
Thanks a lot!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1723853  
 
 
12th February 2013, 06:23 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 279
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanoRedi

Hi everybody!! I have a BIG issue: my nexus 4 is unlocked, with the CWM recovery and CyanogenMod 10.1 installed. Due to some technical problems, I decided to flash the factory rom again (following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312) but I can't do it!! Indeed when I try to flash the factory rom the prompt says

file:could not allocate 544035848 bytes
error:cannot load system.img :not enough space

And when i checked the system capacity the result is that my system partition doesn't exist (as you can see on the pic attached)!

I wish to send my phone back to google with the RMA (it was delivered 7 days ago) but I'm not sure that the warranty is still valid (what do you think about that?). Indeed there is no OS now, and everything is unlocked.

Anybody could help me?
Thanks a lot!!

use the fastboot commands to erase system, boot, and data. then use flashboot to flash bootloader, then stock recovery, then stock system.
13th February 2013, 11:02 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXOhio

use the fastboot commands to erase system, boot, and data. then use flashboot to flash bootloader, then stock recovery, then stock system.

Thanks!! Just a couple of questions: 1. the prompt commands are "fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" and "fastboot erase data", right? 2. Have I to reboot the system between every erase and every flash?
13th February 2013, 12:18 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 279
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanoRedi

Thanks!! Just a couple of questions: 1. the prompt commands are "fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" and "fastboot erase data", right? 2. Have I to reboot the system between every erase and every flash?

That sounds right but Fiona search to be safe. No reboots needed.
13th February 2013, 01:20 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanoRedi

Thanks!! Just a couple of questions: 1. the prompt commands are "fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" and "fastboot erase data", right? 2. Have I to reboot the system between every erase and every flash?

I tryed to do it without results. I attach the screen.

Have you some other advises? I really don't know what i can do it with my phone. If i send it back to google, do you think that they will check if my phone is locked/unlocked, with/without os, ecc? Because I'm afraid to have wasted my money!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 2.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1726335  
13th February 2013, 02:23 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 279
 
More
Have you tried booting into recovery and wiping everything before flashing system? Also you're sure you have the right system.img? Maybe re-download the files from google and try again?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

also, do you have any nandroids or downloaded ROMs on the phone? If so, you could try flashing CWM, and then booting into it and restoring the nandroid or installing a ROM.
13th February 2013, 02:36 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
R: Cannot flash system.img, df shows no system partition
We tried wiping everything trough fast boot, he does not have any nandroid backup and I think he tried to flash another ROM (cm) with no luck.

We downloaded the right images, we tried both 4.2.1 and JOP40D from the Google site and from the mirror that we found in some thread here on xda.

(I'm his friend and I was helping him via Skype, that's why I know these informations)

I think now we'll try to flash cwm and wipe everything trough it and install a stock ROM or a custom one.

Ty for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 4
13th February 2013, 02:57 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 279
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by squalluca

We tried wiping everything trough fast boot, he does not have any nandroid backup and I think he tried to flash another ROM (cm) with no luck.

We downloaded the right images, we tried both 4.2.1 and JOP40D from the Google site and from the mirror that we found in some thread here on xda.

(I'm his friend and I was helping him via Skype, that's why I know these informations)

I think now we'll try to flash cwm and wipe everything trough it and install a stock ROM or a custom one.

Ty for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 4

It really sounds like someone made a mistake and ran the wrong command and actually remove the /system partition. Not erased or formatted, but actually removed the mount point. I'm sure there is a way to recreate it, but I have no idea how.
13th February 2013, 03:20 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
R: Cannot flash system.img, df shows no system partition
That's what I think too... this error appeared before we tried any wipe/erase command trough fastboot... hope someone can help us in recrate the mount point for the system partition...

Sent from my Nexus 4
13th February 2013, 03:53 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXOhio

It really sounds like someone made a mistake and ran the wrong command and actually remove the /system partition. Not erased or formatted, but actually removed the mount point. I'm sure there is a way to recreate it, but I have no idea how.

Thanks guys! I really hope that someone knows how to recreate it and, if it's possibile, very soon, because the RMA expiration day is coming!!
13th February 2013, 03:55 PM |#11  
USSENTERNCC1701E's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Logan
Thanks Meter: 287
 
More
This is generally to be avoided, but I think this may actually be a last resort situation. Download the full factory image extract down a few levels until you have flash-all.bat extracted, at that point you'll also see the radio, bootloader, an image zip, and some linux scripts. Make sure you've actually extracted them and that you aren't just looking in the zip. Run flash-all.bat Don't touch anything until it's done, if you disrupt the write to bootloader or possibly radio, you brick.

By the way, the factory image is here and you may need to use 7zip to extract it. 7zip will have shell integration, so just right click what you want, drop down to 7zip and extract to.

Also, you may be able to accomplish the same thing with:
Code:
fastboot -w update image-occam-jop40c.zip
so maybe try that first.
Last edited by USSENTERNCC1701E; 13th February 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes