Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Cannot flash system.img, df shows no system partition

OP StefanoRedi

12th February 2013, 06:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Hi everybody!! I have a BIG issue: my nexus 4 is unlocked, with the CWM recovery and CyanogenMod 10.1 installed. Due to some technical problems, I decided to flash the factory rom again (following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312) but I can't do it!! Indeed when I try to flash the factory rom the prompt says

file:could not allocate 544035848 bytes
error:cannot load system.img :not enough space

And when i checked the system capacity the result is that my system partition doesn't exist (as you can see on the pic attached)!

I wish to send my phone back to google with the RMA (it was delivered 7 days ago) but I'm not sure that the warranty is still valid (what do you think about that?). Indeed there is no OS now, and everything is unlocked.

Anybody could help me?
Thanks a lot!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1723853  
12th February 2013, 07:23 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 274

1,413 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanoRedi

Hi everybody!! I have a BIG issue: my nexus 4 is unlocked, with the CWM recovery and CyanogenMod 10.1 installed. Due to some technical problems, I decided to flash the factory rom again (following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312) but I can't do it!! Indeed when I try to flash the factory rom the prompt says

file:could not allocate 544035848 bytes
error:cannot load system.img :not enough space

And when i checked the system capacity the result is that my system partition doesn't exist (as you can see on the pic attached)!

I wish to send my phone back to google with the RMA (it was delivered 7 days ago) but I'm not sure that the warranty is still valid (what do you think about that?). Indeed there is no OS now, and everything is unlocked.

Anybody could help me?
Thanks a lot!!

use the fastboot commands to erase system, boot, and data. then use flashboot to flash bootloader, then stock recovery, then stock system.
13th February 2013, 12:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXOhio

use the fastboot commands to erase system, boot, and data. then use flashboot to flash bootloader, then stock recovery, then stock system.

Thanks!! Just a couple of questions: 1. the prompt commands are "fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" and "fastboot erase data", right? 2. Have I to reboot the system between every erase and every flash?
13th February 2013, 01:18 PM   |  #4  

1,413 posts
Quote:

Thanks!! Just a couple of questions: 1. the prompt commands are "fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" and "fastboot erase data", right? 2. Have I to reboot the system between every erase and every flash?

That sounds right but Fiona search to be safe. No reboots needed.
13th February 2013, 02:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:

I tryed to do it without results. I attach the screen.

Have you some other advises? I really don't know what i can do it with my phone. If i send it back to google, do you think that they will check if my phone is locked/unlocked, with/without os, ecc? Because I'm afraid to have wasted my money!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1726335  
13th February 2013, 03:23 PM   |  #6  

1,413 posts
Have you tried booting into recovery and wiping everything before flashing system? Also you're sure you have the right system.img? Maybe re-download the files from google and try again?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

also, do you have any nandroids or downloaded ROMs on the phone? If so, you could try flashing CWM, and then booting into it and restoring the nandroid or installing a ROM.
13th February 2013, 03:36 PM   |  #7  

5 posts
R: Cannot flash system.img, df shows no system partition
We tried wiping everything trough fast boot, he does not have any nandroid backup and I think he tried to flash another ROM (cm) with no luck.

We downloaded the right images, we tried both 4.2.1 and JOP40D from the Google site and from the mirror that we found in some thread here on xda.

(I'm his friend and I was helping him via Skype, that's why I know these informations)

I think now we'll try to flash cwm and wipe everything trough it and install a stock ROM or a custom one.

Ty for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 4
13th February 2013, 03:57 PM   |  #8  

1,413 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squalluca

We tried wiping everything trough fast boot, he does not have any nandroid backup and I think he tried to flash another ROM (cm) with no luck.

We downloaded the right images, we tried both 4.2.1 and JOP40D from the Google site and from the mirror that we found in some thread here on xda.

(I'm his friend and I was helping him via Skype, that's why I know these informations)

I think now we'll try to flash cwm and wipe everything trough it and install a stock ROM or a custom one.

Ty for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 4

It really sounds like someone made a mistake and ran the wrong command and actually remove the /system partition. Not erased or formatted, but actually removed the mount point. I'm sure there is a way to recreate it, but I have no idea how.
13th February 2013, 04:20 PM   |  #9  

5 posts
R: Cannot flash system.img, df shows no system partition
That's what I think too... this error appeared before we tried any wipe/erase command trough fastboot... hope someone can help us in recrate the mount point for the system partition...

Sent from my Nexus 4
13th February 2013, 04:53 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXOhio

It really sounds like someone made a mistake and ran the wrong command and actually remove the /system partition. Not erased or formatted, but actually removed the mount point. I'm sure there is a way to recreate it, but I have no idea how.

Thanks guys! I really hope that someone knows how to recreate it and, if it's possibile, very soon, because the RMA expiration day is coming!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread