Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,905 Members 39,815 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do flashing kernels and wiping cache wipe data?

Tip us?

isnip
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Do flashing kernels and wiping cache wipe data?

Hi, I own a Nexus 4, just a quick nooby question..

Will flashing a custom kernel (thinking of Faux or Franco) and wiping cache and dalvik wipe data? The main reason I want to flash a custom kernel is to underclock to save battery life, and do these have profiles so I can leave it on low clock over night and normal clock during the day?

Rohit02
Old
Thanks Meter 3395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnip View Post
Hi, I own a Nexus 4, just a quick nooby question..

Will flashing a custom kernel (thinking of Faux or Franco) and wiping cache and dalvik wipe data? The main reason I want to flash a custom kernel is to underclock to save battery life, and do these have profiles so I can leave it on low clock over night and normal clock during the day?
Just flash the kernel dont wipe anything.. kernel never need flashing unless stated in op.
Device : Nexus 4
Don't beg for THANKS.. You will get it if you deserve it.

"Half of the bugs are due to dirty flashing,Always clean install it will prevent the thread from cluttering" - Rohit02

Nexus 4 Whatsapp Group - (Open for all Nexus 4 users/ Nexus 5 too)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rohit02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

isnip
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit02 View Post
Just flash the kernel dont wipe anything.. kernel never need flashing unless stated in op.
Thanks for clarifying but in the OP it says to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache, and I meant from recovery not flashing, sorry haha. a little more clarification ;(

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnip View Post
Thanks for clarifying but in the OP it says to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache, and I meant from recovery not flashing, sorry haha. a little more clarification ;(
Same answer, you don't need to wipe anything in recovery if you're flashing a kernel. And wiping cache and dalvik will not wipe your data

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20658
you never ever have to wipe anything when flashing kernels. never. wiping dalvik/cache before flashing a kernel is the same as wiping your butt to fill your car up with gas. its just not needed. and for all those that write it in their op, they just dont know better.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]