Do flashing kernels and wiping cache wipe data?

OP isnip

13th June 2014, 03:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi, I own a Nexus 4, just a quick nooby question..

Will flashing a custom kernel (thinking of Faux or Franco) and wiping cache and dalvik wipe data? The main reason I want to flash a custom kernel is to underclock to save battery life, and do these have profiles so I can leave it on low clock over night and normal clock during the day?
13th June 2014, 04:34 AM   |  #2  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 3,737

3,885 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnip

Hi, I own a Nexus 4, just a quick nooby question..

Will flashing a custom kernel (thinking of Faux or Franco) and wiping cache and dalvik wipe data? The main reason I want to flash a custom kernel is to underclock to save battery life, and do these have profiles so I can leave it on low clock over night and normal clock during the day?

Just flash the kernel dont wipe anything.. kernel never need flashing unless stated in op.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rohit02 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit02

Just flash the kernel dont wipe anything.. kernel never need flashing unless stated in op.

Thanks for clarifying but in the OP it says to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache, and I meant from recovery not flashing, sorry haha. a little more clarification ;(
14th June 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,536

10,252 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnip

Thanks for clarifying but in the OP it says to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache, and I meant from recovery not flashing, sorry haha. a little more clarification ;(

Same answer, you don't need to wipe anything in recovery if you're flashing a kernel. And wiping cache and dalvik will not wipe your data

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,874

26,281 posts
you never ever have to wipe anything when flashing kernels. never. wiping dalvik/cache before flashing a kernel is the same as wiping your butt to fill your car up with gas. its just not needed. and for all those that write it in their op, they just dont know better.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread