Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 53,943 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Need a hand with building.

Tip us?

ian577416
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 269
Smile [Q] Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Need a hand with building.

I can't get it to build properly, I'm not sure if the toolchain version I'm using or what but I'm stalled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ cd ~/android/kernel/msm
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ export ARCH=arm
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ export SUBARCH=arm
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-androideabi-
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ make mako_defconfig
warning: (ARCH_MSM_KRAITMP && ARCH_MSM_CORTEX_A5) selects HAVE_HW_BRKPT_RESERVED_RW_ACCESS which has unmet direct dependencies (HAVE_HW_BREAKPOINT)
warning: (ARCH_MSM_KRAITMP && ARCH_MSM_CORTEX_A5) selects HAVE_HW_BRKPT_RESERVED_RW_ACCESS which has unmet direct dependencies (HAVE_HW_BREAKPOINT)
#
# configuration written to .config
#
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$ make -j4
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
CHK include/linux/version.h
HOSTCC scripts/bin2c
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
arm-linux-androideabi-gcc: No such file or directory
Is your PATH set correctly?
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ian@ian-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~/android/kernel/msm$
www.dotrootsystems.net

Google LG-E960 Nexus 4 (Always changing)
Devices- All of them at one point in time....I fix phones for a living
Is this picture of some of my previous devices necessary? No, but I like it.

ian577416
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 269
Bump
www.dotrootsystems.net

Google LG-E960 Nexus 4 (Always changing)
Devices- All of them at one point in time....I fix phones for a living
Is this picture of some of my previous devices necessary? No, but I like it.

XDA_Bam
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 826
I would guess that you have not defined the path to the actual toolchain. I recommend a build script - it's much faster than typing everything in and saves you from typing mistakes. Create the file /android/kernel/buildscript.sh, make it executable and add

Code:
cd msm
export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin
export ARCH=arm
export SUBARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-androideabi-
make clean
make mako_defconfig
make -j6
This assumes that the kernel makefile is located in /android/kernel/msm/makefile The important line is 'export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin' (depending on where your toolchain actually resides). This tells make where to look for the arm-linux-androideabi- binaries. For further info, I recommend this guide.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XDA_Bam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gabr10
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDA_Bam View Post
I would guess that you have not defined the path to the actual toolchain. I recommend a build script - it's much faster than typing everything in and saves you from typing mistakes. Create the file /android/kernel/buildscript.sh, make it executable and add

Code:
cd msm
export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin
export ARCH=arm
export SUBARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-androideabi-
make clean
make mako_defconfig
make -j6
This assumes that the kernel makefile is located in /android/kernel/msm/makefile The important line is 'export PATH=$PATH:~/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin' (depending on where your toolchain actually resides). This tells make where to look for the arm-linux-androideabi- binaries. For further info, I recommend this guide.
Same problem here. On Ubuntu and Mac OS. No idea what's causing it, the path seems to be OK and pointing to the right file, if I try to execute it on its own, it will say: cannot execute binary file
N4 Stock - Modded kernel

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 471
You couldn't ask for a clearer error message. The build system wants to call "arm-linux-androideabi-gcc", but this program can't be found (executable isn't in the $PATH directory list).

As someone else told you, you must add this to your path. On my computer I would write:
Code:
PATH="$PATH:/Volumes/android/cm10.1/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin"
But I'm not building the same thing you are (or using the same method). You'll need to follow whatever procedure is recommended for that project.

gabr10
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
You couldn't ask for a clearer error message. The build system wants to call "arm-linux-androideabi-gcc", but this program can't be found (executable isn't in the $PATH directory list).

As someone else told you, you must add this to your path. On my computer I would write:
Code:
PATH="$PATH:/Volumes/android/cm10.1/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/bin"
But I'm not building the same thing you are (or using the same method). You'll need to follow whatever procedure is recommended for that project.
Like I said before, it's IN the PATH. The problem appears to be that this is a 64-bit only binary, on my Ubuntu test case it was a 32-bit OS, but on the Mac it doesn't make sense at all since it's Mountain Lion --> x86_64.
N4 Stock - Modded kernel

genericusernamehere
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Same Problem Here

I just compiled yesterday on debian testing reinstalled the same OS for other reasons, pulled git, tried to build and get the same error. I have PATH set correctly and can run arm-eabi-gcc --version no problem from any directory. I have multiarch setup with both x86-64 and i386. The only difference between today and yesterday is I switched from GNOME 3 to window maker and switched from xterm to aterm.

Anybody got a clue whats going wrong here yet??

genericusernamehere
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Got It to Work (At lease for me)

On my Debian box I setup by doing apt-get install make git libncurses5 figuring everything else was in google's toolchain. Well today I installed kernel-package which installs build-essentials and installed libncurses-dev now I still get the unmet dependencies error but am able to do make menuconfig and make and build just fine now. If you are on OS X I suggest googling debian package search, search for build-essentials and use MacPorts or Brew (depending on your preference) to install as many of those utilities as you can.