5,595,918 Members 31,138 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

my friend (soft?)bricked his nexus 4...help?

Tip us?

colonelcack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default my friend (soft?)bricked his nexus 4...help?

So he was following some random youtube video that was years old so it probably was outdated...

the phone state is currently unlocked, not unrooted yet..but with clockwork mod .

it responds to fastboot commands using the nexus toolkit by wugfresh but i can't get adb to work? all the guides i see say you have to have the phone booted normally before installing it and we can't do that

any help is appreciated

dinuweera
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Your situation is a bit unclear, Is the phone boot looping? What you can do is flash a factory image while the phone is on the bootloader mode using Ncry toolkit or something similar. This way doesn't require the phone to be on or have any flash files already on the phone.

colonelcack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
hey thanks for relying so fast, yes it is boot looping, ill try what you said now and update status, thanks again

edit: where would i get the factory image? does that toolkit download it for you?

MameTozhio
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelcack View Post
hey thanks for relying so fast, yes it is boot looping, ill try what you said now and update status, thanks again

edit: where would i get the factory image? does that toolkit download it for you?
you didn't go into the stock recovery after unlocking bootloader

here is the factory images page - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

you could probably just flash the recovery.img in the image-*.zip file to recovery, then go into recovery, wait for it to do it's thing then flash clockworkmod, philz or TWRP with the toolkit and do root etc.

you can also just flash the factory image, then do the stuff with the toolkit (easier)

sorry if I've confused you o.o

dinuweera
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Easiest way to do this is to use Ncry (http://goo.gl/l0iuEn):
1. Put phone in bootloader an connect phone to pc with Ncry ON.
2. Click on the one click menu.
3. click SR mode.
The programme will automatically download the files and do the flashing, when finished the phone will auto boot.

colonelcack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameTozhio View Post
you didn't go into the stock recovery after unlocking bootloader

here is the factory images page - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

you could probably just flash the recovery.img in the image-*.zip file to recovery, then go into recovery, wait for it to do it's thing then flash clockworkmod, philz or TWRP with the toolkit and do root etc.

you can also just flash the factory image, then do the stuff with the toolkit (easier)

sorry if I've confused you o.o
he needs to get it to be recognized as an adb device right? where would i get windows 8 x64 adb drivers?

TreatnHerRight
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelcack View Post
he needs to get it to be recognized as an adb device right? where would i get windows 8 x64 adb drivers?
I Use: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9

And Do the Universal Drivers, and its worked for me.
Droid X - Rooted Liquid Smooth 4.0.4 (RETIRED)
Droid Razr Maxx - Rooted 4.2.2 Carbon ROM (SOLD)
Nexus 4 - Rooted 4.3 Vanir w/ Hells Core

colonelcack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
ok great thanks man it worked, really appreciate your time. only thing is that it wont show up on windws 8 pc but it does show up on windows 7 pc, you really helped my buddy out of a jam thanks again