Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 43,812 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS issues on custom roms.

Tip us?

kioji86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default GPS issues on custom roms.

I've recently moved to a new state and have been having to use my phone's GPS several times a week.

At the time I was using one of the Cyanogenmod 11 snapshot builds(sorry, I can't remember which one ). The GPS worked flawlessly. I would always update to the next snapshot build as they came out. One our two updates later my GPS couldn't seem to get a fix on my location. I tried wiping and doing a clean install of the ROM. Still had issues.

Eventually I got fed up with cyanogenmod and wiped my phone and installed Paranoid Android 4 beta 1. Had the same problem with the GPS. I tried several of the other beta releases as they came out to see if the problem was resolved. It wasn't.

So I restored my phone to stock using the Google factory images (4.4.2). The GPS worked beautifully. So I stuck with stock for a while and did the OTA update to 4.4.3.

After a while I started to miss the features and customizations that come with custom ROMs. So I wiped and flashed Paranoid Android 4.4 RC2. The GPS still can't seem to lock. On the rare occasion that it does it can't keep up with my car, especially if I turn onto another road.

Does anyone know what's up with the GPS? Didn't seen to have this issue at all on Jelly Bean custom ROMs. Is this an issue with Kitkat custom ROMs? Possibly a hardware issue? Any help would greatly appreciated.

Current setup:
Phone: Nexus 4(16gb)
ROM: Paranoid Android 4.4 RC2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

genaldar
Old
Thanks Meter 3
There appears to be an issue with KitKat and GPS. I'm running stock 4.4.4 and I can't get a GPS lock. I've tried everything I can, including a factory reset. I don't remember having the issue with 4.4.3, but I've seen issues reported going back to 4.4.2.
LG Nexus 4
Stock ROM

bluesteve3
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I don't know about you, but a reboot usually does it for me.