Tip us?

Jubakuba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3325

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chochiwpg View Post
When installing a new ROM it says to perform a factory reset through CWM, which will remove all apps and data but should keep all your pictures, videos, songs etc.

It doesn't mention to wipe the System partition as well. Is this not necessary when flashing ROMs on a Nexus?

Prior to owning the N4 I had the Galaxy S 2 and it was always stated in the OP instructions to wipe data/factory reset, wipe system, clear cache, clear dalvik and then flash ROM and Gapps.

However, I don't notice in any guides or instructions for N4 ROMS to wipe the system partition, just the data partition. Is there a reason for this or is it not necessary to wipe the system partition? Thanks. Great guide by the way.

Peace
There never is a reason to wipe system.
Any ROM.zip has a script to wipe system before installing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatzy View Post
I actually have a question along these lines.

I just came from a LG G2X so things were different for me whenever I flashed ROM's/kernels. For one thing, I had an external sd card so whenever CWM made it's backups, they went to that automatically and I didn't have to worry about wiping since everything was on the external. This phone doesn't have an external so where do the backups go? From the looks of the new CWM 6.0.2.0, the backups (and blobs now apparently) go to /data/media/clockworkmod. Well I guess my question here is if you have to wipe /data for installing new ROM's, how would I restore a backup because they would have been deleted off the /data partition. I tried adb pulling /data/media/clockworkmod to my computer but it won't go. Don't know if it's because that partition is mounted while the phone is in use or what. I tried the mount/umount command that OP listed but it won't work for me. Don't want to flash ANYTHING on this phone until I know for a fact I can get to the backups that I'm creating.
With the STOCK recovery...
The entire /data/ partition is wiped.
With ANY custom recovery.../data/ is wiped but /data/media/ is retained.
Not sure what the issue pulling clockworkmod would be...
I don't actually own this phone...
But try adb pull /data/media/0/clockworkmod /clockworkmod/ to see if that gets it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jubakuba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bara2
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Don't know if it is important but it might help some other people - so I thought I'd share it.

I tried to unlook my bootloader, install cwm and SU without doing a factory reset. I ended up with my phone not getting past the flashing Nexus logo during boot.
I went back to cwm recovery (power + volume up + volume down - had to try a few times, it works differently than I was used from my sgs) and wiped Cache. That solved it, I was able to boot up successfully and kept all my data.

incantevole
Old
Thanks Meter 11
i (think) i followed all the directions to unlock etc. however, when i hold vol down+power and get screen with the android with his chest open it says:

secure boot - enabled
lock state - unlocked

i can still enter clockwork recovery from this screen and install custom roms so it it is no big deal. however, i dont get the option to boot directly into recovery from the shutdown screen like i would in other versions. is this how it is supposed to work?

CoCoGirl886
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubakuba View Post
Post 3.
fastboot oem lock
Locks the device.
I'm going to need to ship my device back, whenever they fix my order. I'm not sure how long that would take so I'm thinking of rooting it now. Would locking the device be reverting it back to original status, thus making the return process seamless? Or will I have to reset the counter? Or would google be able to detect that it has been unlocked and rooted before?

Jubakuba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3325

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoGirl886 View Post
I'm going to need to ship my device back, whenever they fix my order. I'm not sure how long that would take so I'm thinking of rooting it now. Would locking the device be reverting it back to original status, thus making the return process seamless? Or will I have to reset the counter? Or would google be able to detect that it has been unlocked and rooted before?
Nope. Just flash stock and lock...
Although I doubt Google cares, it's always good process to do so.
And there is no counter.

CoCoGirl886
Old
(Last edited by CoCoGirl886; 18th December 2012 at 04:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Nope. Just flash stock and lock...
Although I doubt Google cares, it's always good process to do so.
And there is no counter.
Thanks for the prompt reply! Hmm, I'm stuck at the "adb reboot bootloader" step. I typed that in the command window and it says

*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*
*daemon started successfully*

Then my phone reboots, but there's no green android... just a normal startup process. If I try to go onto the next stop, it stays on <waiting for device>

EDIT: Ooh never mind! I tried turning off the phone and it automatically rebooted with the green android

Hatzy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
There never is a reason to wipe system.
Any ROM.zip has a script to wipe system before installing.

With the STOCK recovery...
The entire /data/ partition is wiped.
With ANY custom recovery.../data/ is wiped but /data/media/ is retained.
Not sure what the issue pulling clockworkmod would be...
I don't actually own this phone...
But try adb pull /data/media/0/clockworkmod /clockworkmod/ to see if that gets it.

Interesting. Did not know /data/media/ is retained with custom recoveries. You learn something new every day. Awesome, thanks for the response and the info. I'll dink around with ADB a little more. All I know is mount, remount, and pull weren't working; at least the command you have listed. I'll see if I can figure it out. /data/media/0/ doesn't have anything of use for me to backup to PC so no point in trying to pull that. All the CWM backup data is in the other directory. At least with v.6.

121C4
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Thanks for this. Phone arrived yesterday, rooted same day. I really thought I would last longer but I felt restricted without root.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 121C4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

intekmdma
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Thanks for the guide.

Just rooted the phone.

I do have a question though. If I wanted my "recovery" to go back to default rather than try and load CWM, do I just flash the original image? If so, where do I get the original image?

mrhaddan
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by intekmdma View Post
Thanks for the guide.

Just rooted the phone.

I do have a question though. If I wanted my "recovery" to go back to default rather than try and load CWM, do I just flash the original image? If so, where do I get the original image?
It should go back to default on its own. After you unlock boot loader, you go back into adb and fast boot bootloader, then use the command to use flash cwm. After you are done, it asks you to confirm that it is going back to default fastboot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Phone: Samsung Infuse 4G
Rom: BeanStalk