Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Ultimate Nexus 4 Root Guide

Tip us?

skezza
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Anyway of rooting without:
a. Unlocking the bootloader.
b. Flashing CWM.

I need a rooted stock (genuine) kernel.

florichelle
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default AW: [Guide] Ultimate Nexus 4 Root Guide

Hello,

I have rooted my N4 by using the Toolkit. I used the one click for all option which unlocked the bootloader, flashed CWM Recovery & rooted the phone.
Now that I have read that OTA updates won't be possible while CWM is flashed I was thinking about flashing stock recovery by using the mentioned toolkit.
Will I still be able to build nandroids with the toolkit? Would you recommend turning back to stock recovery. I wouldn't flash custom roms or kernels anyway.
Is there any other way to be able to update OTA?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,059

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Guide] Ultimate Nexus 4 Root Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skezza View Post
Anyway of rooting without:
a. Unlocking the bootloader.
b. Flashing CWM.

I need a rooted stock (genuine) kernel.
a. At this point, no.
b. Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

JoJo2211
Old
Thanks Meter 55
HELP!

At the bolded step below am I supposed to keep holding the Volume UP and Power together? If so, I did this and the phone keeps rebooting. When do I let go? If not, am I supposed to just press the Volume Up and Power button and immediately let go? If so, I did this and I go no further than the Android logo with a red triangle and an exclamation mark. Please HELP!
Thanks
Quote:
(Hit Enter)
If your Command Prompt displays the message "waiting for device" your driver wasn't successfully installed.
Close the Command Prompt window and open Device manager while your phone is still plugged in. (Search for it using the search option).
Right Click the "Android" option and select Update Driver. Choose to "Browse My Computer" and "Let Me Pick From A List." Pick the Driver with the newest date and install it. Now retry the code above.
Your phone will ask if you want to unlock it. Select "Yes" by using the volume keys and use power to select it.
Now, navigate to "Recovery Mode" with the volume keys. Use power to select.
A screen with another Android will pop up. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time.
Select Factory Reset. This process may take a few minutes. Be patient and let it work.
Once finished, select "Reboot."
Your phone is now unlocked!

thephantom
Old
Thanks Meter 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo2211 View Post
HELP!

At the bolded step below am I supposed to keep holding the Volume UP and Power together? If so, I did this and the phone keeps rebooting. When do I let go? If not, am I supposed to just press the Volume Up and Power button and immediately let go? If so, I did this and I go no further than the Android logo with a red triangle and an exclamation mark. Please HELP!
Thanks
Do it this way. When you see the android logo lying down, press power then tap volume up then release both buttons. The menu should show

Flowed and Tapped from my Nexus
LG Nexus 5
Nokia Lumia 1520
Asus Google Nexus 7 4.4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency. and less threads on xda.

pra12
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default OTA updates

after rooting with method will i be able to get the latest OTA updates?If no,from which rooting method i can root and get OTA updates in future??
thanks...................

chromaker
Old
(Last edited by chromaker; 11th February 2013 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
OTAs are available when you only root your device. If you change something (recovery, rom) OTA will not work (normal). After OTA Update you will loose Root and you have to root it again.

Wadoline
Old
Thanks Meter 3

Hi there!

Is this guide updated for the new 4.2.2 stock?

Best regards

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 2

khodos
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I don't know if anyone has notified this, but there is no need to download rom manager and reinstall CWm anymore... Download CWM from their website (I recommend the touch version), flash it and when you exit CWM it will ask if you want prevent the OS to overwrite the recovery. Say yes and it will always boot.

We should add this to the 1st page

biggyk
Old
(Last edited by biggyk; 20th February 2013 at 10:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1

When the time comes when I download the new OTA (4.2.3) and use CWM is there a way to do just update or does it need to be installed fresh every time? I remember back when I had my Nexus s and I choose install .zip from sd card, it cleared everything in stalled afresh rom. I want it to update just like the real OTA method would do.

Sent from my Nexus 7