Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 49,214 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hardware failure?

Tip us?

K'Tag
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Hardware failure?

Last night all the apps on my 16gb Nexus 4 crashed inexplicably at the same time. I tried rebooting and the phone just looped the loading animation endlessly. I tried going into recovery mode and doing a factory reset but get the following errors:

E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log

(It repeats these several times before giving up)

This morning I downloaded the Nexus Root Toolkit to try and reflash the stock software, but with no luck. The bootloader is still locked (I never had a need to root this phone... so I thought...) so it won't allow me to flash updates. When I try to unlock using NRT, I just end up in another boot loop.

I've also tried to sideload the stock image through the phone's recovery but get the same errors. If I try the "wipe cache partition" option I get the same errors (but change /log to /last_install) with 1 additional:

E:Failed closing /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
(I/0 error)

So my question is, how hosed am I? What have I not done that I should try? Is there a way to flash or sideload just an unlocked bootloader? Any ideas about how to fix this unmountable E:? Or has my phone just exploded?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Kevin

K'Tag
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Just a quick bump of this before I admit complete and utter failure....

Both Google and LG believe it's a ROM failure, but since I hadn't rooted the phone or even installed any apps not from the Play Store, I don't buy it. I've tried pushing and pulling files from adb, tried flashing files through fastboot, used the Nexus recovery tool, the command prompt and even tried the lgnpst. Nothing changes the situation. It just can't seem to read or write to E: This has to be a hardware failure, right? A short circuit or something?

Has anyone sent a Nexus 4 back to LG for repair? I have a feeling their repair, especially if it's more than just reinstalling the software, is going to cost more than my insurance deductible, so unless something miraculous changes today, I'm going to replace it that way... :/

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Mashed_Potatoes
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Looks like messed up partitions or mmc failure - had a similar problem 2 years ago on SGP 5.0, couldn't mount system (partitions f0oked up)

opssemnik
Old
Thanks Meter 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tag View Post
Just a quick bump of this before I admit complete and utter failure....

Both Google and LG believe it's a ROM failure, but since I hadn't rooted the phone or even installed any apps not from the Play Store, I don't buy it. I've tried pushing and pulling files from adb, tried flashing files through fastboot, used the Nexus recovery tool, the command prompt and even tried the lgnpst. Nothing changes the situation. It just can't seem to read or write to E: This has to be a hardware failure, right? A short circuit or something?

Has anyone sent a Nexus 4 back to LG for repair? I have a feeling their repair, especially if it's more than just reinstalling the software, is going to cost more than my insurance deductible, so unless something miraculous changes today, I'm going to replace it that way... :/

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin
this sure looks like mmc is fried. the repair will change whole motherboard. if you have some kind of fear. write down your serial number that appears on fastboot mode. then send to repair. when it get backs look the new serial. you will see its changed. the imei will also be changed as far i know
New Nexus 7 wifi / Black / 32gb - Android 4.4.4 stock
Galaxy S3 Intl(I9300) / purple / 16gb - blekola lite 6.1