Voters: 1135. You may not vote on this poll

[HELP THREAD] nexus4 Ask any question.

Tip us?

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by azik View Post
I have some apps running on the background. I would like to change some of them, like Google Talk and Weather Channel Application. I don't want them to run in the background all the time using data and consuming battery.

I dont want to completely remove the apps, rather have more control over them being in the background.
Are you using BetterBatteryStats to figure out which of these apps are actually consuming an appreciable amount of battery? I don't think Google Talk uses a lot of battery. And I've seen Autostarts recommended for people that want to prevent an app from starting automatically. (not free, and only for rooted phones).
The Following User Says Thank You to fenstre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 33
in order to flash custom roms, can i use the stock recovery, or i need a custom one?

fargo_01
Old
(Last edited by fargo_01; 21st February 2013 at 09:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrash View Post
You should be fine. If you want to just test the recovery without flashing it first , you can run it temporarily via fastboot too.

Run this
Fastboot boot nameofrecovery.img

I know a few users that rather stay with stock recovery that use this method a lot for their flashing needs.
Short version :

I finally manage to load TWRP.

Long version :

I first tryed to load cwm, the result was the same. Moreover, even with a load, my phone was kind of messed up. I had to perform a factory reset to get it back. (probably only a factory recovery reset was enough) This is kind of strange behaviour.

Then I tryed to load twrp, It loaded fined (no apparent bug). I can then copy files on sdcard and install these. I then booted CyanogenMod without particular problem.

Finally, I performed a factory reset, and I'm going to keep it that way for now. The reasons are :
- stock rom is imho more stable than CyanogenMod
- I can download a widget for almost all the missing function
- If I have a hardware issue (that the error on CWM suggests), I will be able to return the phone to Google for repair (which is now completely stock)

Thank you for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to fargo_01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

azrash
Old
Thanks Meter 609

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [HELP THREAD] Nexus 4. Ask any question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_wrc View Post
in order to flash custom roms, can i use the stock recovery, or i need a custom one?
most custom roms are packed as zip files, so you'll need a custom recovery. Custom Recovery also allows you to do a full nandroid backup etc, that is pretty useful when you are switching from ROMs. If you don't like the new ROM, you can always restore the nandroid you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo_01 View Post
Short version :

I finally manage to load TWRP.

Long version :

I first tryed to load cwm, the result was the same. Moreover, even with a load, my phone was kind of messed up. I had to perform a factory reset to get it back. (probably only a factory recovery reset was enough) This is kind of strange behaviour.

Then I tryed to load twrp, It loaded fined (no apparent bug). I can then copy files on sdcard and install these. I then booted CyanogenMod without particular problem.

Finally, I performed a factory reset, and I'm going to keep it that way for now. The reasons are :
- stock rom is imho more stable than CyanogenMod
- I can download a widget for almost all the missing function
- If I have a hardware issue (that the error on CWM suggests), I will be able to return the phone to Google for repair (which is now completely stock)

Thank you for your help
Custom ROMs do offer extra tweaks that are only available as widgets. This is better in a sense that they are lighter on the resources because they are built in. Good thing about the Nexus line is you are spoilt for choice in terms of custom ROMs, from stock AOSP, to CM10.1, AOKP etc, some people like to stay stock with a custom kernels, some like to build from sources for their own usage. should anything happens and you need to do a warranty claim, flashing the factory image is much easier on a Nexus.

Hope you'll find a setup that you are comfortable with!

Flowed from my Nexus 4
N4 CM11 + m_plus or hells-Core | Flashable TWRP or CWM
N7 LTE | Flashable TWRP or CWM
HTC Desire Z/G2 | Rom: ILWT CM7 634 Sense Rom: Virtuous Sense v2.0.0
G1 : ADS-Magpie (GB) or Froyo by Laszlo+ezterry's kernel

my general advise in using BBS http://j.mp/VOK3bU and here http://j.mp/13gecGG
Free 2.5GB Dropbox storage here or 20GB with Copy here
Malaysian? try UMobile, prepaid mobile internet from RM18 a month
sig last updated: 18 Jan 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to azrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 33
thanks. i know the advantages of a custom recovery, i have already used it on my former phones, BUT..i was wondering that being bootloader unlocked may allow me to flash roms in stock recovery.

undercover
Old
Thanks Meter 4223
Default [HELP THREAD] Nexus 4. Ask any question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_wrc View Post
thanks. i know the advantages of a custom recovery, i have already used it on my former phones, BUT..i was wondering that being bootloader unlocked may allow me to flash roms in stock recovery.
Nope. And yes if you use fastboot iirc.
fastboot -w
fastboot update rom.zip

That might work on stock recovery, but not guaranteed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm a noob, you are a noob and you are a noob. Let's group nOOb hug!
The Following User Says Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aalen56
Old
Thanks Meter 0

I'm currently on PA Rom. What's the easiest way to go back to stock?

I want to create a stock backup, so I can go back to it when the custom Roms lack an important feature (Bluetooth).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

lumi1776
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default ques on disabling google apps

im new to android/xda so sorry if im posting in wrong place or info is out there ive been searching but cant find the answer im looking for

basically if i go to disable google search or play movies in apps it asks

do u want to replace this app with the factory version, cancel or ok

what does this mean? and what will it do, is it ok to do?

i thought disable would be just that on or off

im stock everything at mo untill i learn what im doing.

many thanks

rskyline
Old
Thanks Meter 694

DONATE TO ME

I though newer phones would charge faster and discharge slower. But this phone takes a lot of time to charge with stock charger. Anyone get this too?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalen56 View Post

I want to create a stock backup, so I can go back to it when the custom Roms lack an important feature (Bluetooth).

Search for the how to get back to stock. Via fastboot.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 2

asci
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalen56 View Post

On PA BT doesn't work?

Tags
answers, halp me, help thread, help! my carrot cake won't rise., nexus 4, noob, questions, teh ph0n3 no turn on