YES 1,075 94.63%
NO 61 5.37%
Voters: 1136. You may not vote on this poll

[HELP THREAD] nexus4 Ask any question.

Tip us?

russianmob
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If I bought a nexus 4 from Google and put my cut sim inside it. Will it work. I'm with T-Mobile btw

Stryder5
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianmob View Post
If I bought a nexus 4 from Google and put my cut sim inside it. Will it work. I'm with T-Mobile btw
Theoretically, it should. Just go out to the store and get a legitimate one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4 (Mako) - N4 Drivers
ROM: Mahdi w/ BaNkS Gapps || Radio: Hybrid Radio || Kernel: Hells Core b46
Mods: Exchange Email + NFC + LTE || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0

Previous Android Phones:
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) - CM6 [Traded in]
HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2) - Miui [Got stolen]
HTC Doubleshot (T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide) - CM10 [Backup Device]

Get Dropbox for cloud storage! Use my link and we each get 500mb!

russianmob
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can't go to the store. You pay $200 more that way. Such a rip off

undercover
Old
Thanks Meter 4223
Quote:
He's talking about sim card

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I'm a noob, you are a noob and you are a noob. Let's group nOOb hug!
The Following User Says Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bassmadrigal
Old
Thanks Meter 513
Quote:
He just meant pick up a micro-sim card from the store, not the whole phone. Sometimes cut cards don't work right, so it is better to get one that is designed and precut as a micro-sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iky316 View Post
Awesome. Thank you.

Just a couple questions/clarifications.

Do I install custom recoverys on my computer or do i root my phone first and then install them on my phone. (Basically do i root my device before installing custom recovery or are they needed to perform root)

Also what are JDK java tools. are they needed for rooting or adding custom roms or are they only needed for devs?

thanks
Just to go a bit more in depth as a lot of people don't necessarily understand this.

Rooting your device and getting a custom bootloader are two different things, and depending on the phone will need to be done in a different order (or one might not need to be done at all). When Nexus devices first came out, they were designed to be developer friendly. In doing so, they removed the need to find security holes in the OS so you could root the device and then using root permissions, flash a custom recovery. With Nexus devices, you could bypass the need to root before flashing the custom recovery (if you wanted root after that, you just flash a simple package, or skip that and move directly to a custom ROM).

Now what you needed to do on your phone (root/unlock) depended on your phone itself. The popularity of custom ROMs on Nexus devices made some phone makers decide to allow their bootloaders to be unlocked as well. Again, this helped remove the requirement to find security holes in Android to gain root access.

For the N4, currently, the only way to get root is by unlocking the bootloader, flashing a custom recovery, and then flashing a root zip. If you don't want the custom recovery (you want to run stock + root and get OTA updates), you would need to then revert your recovery back to stock. Possibly, in the future, a security hole may be found in the Android version included on the phone which will allow root access without unlocking the bootloader, but it depends on whether or not the developers can find a hole to exploit.

Hopefully I didn't butcher my explanation too bad. My head it pounding and I feel like I should be asleep (even though it is just past 5PM).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bassmadrigal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

russianmob
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Oh thanks sorry for being confused

trell959
Old
Thanks Meter 800

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Oh thanks sorry for being confused
They should give you one for free.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note N-7000
Samsung Galaxy S II i-777
HTC Inspire 4g
Samsung Captivate

"Don't regret anything you do man. It's just a waste of time." -Watt9493
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trell959 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

russianmob
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Sweet

evaradar
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
Was it a regular sized sim that you cut? If so, I'd get an appropriate sim for the phone.
Nope it was a micro sim that I took from my S3. Its funny, I don't experience this problem at all with my Galaxy Nexus using the same micro sim. Plus the GN is running on Paranoid Android. The nexus 4 is pure stock, except recovery.

So far its not been happening. It could maybe be the fact that I changed WCDMA to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto prl only to get "LTE" to work and that might have mucked it up? Others I know haven't reported it so..I.e. problem #1
Evaradar
~ The One & Only

Current Phones
---------------
Nexus 4 8GB:
ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: Stock.

Current Tablets

Nexus 7 32GB WiFi
ROM: ParanoidAndroid v4 Beta 1
Android version: 4.4.2
Recovery: TWRP v2.6.3.1

Nexus 7 16GB FHD WiFi
ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Recovery; Stock

Stryder5
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaradar View Post
Nope it was a micro sim that I took from my S3. Its funny, I don't experience this problem at all with my Galaxy Nexus using the same micro sim. Plus the GN is running on Paranoid Android. The nexus 4 is pure stock, except recovery.

So far its not been happening. It could maybe be the fact that I changed WCDMA to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto prl only to get "LTE" to work and that might have mucked it up? Others I know haven't reported it so..I.e. problem #1
Change it back to WCDMA. There's no point in activating LTE when the network doesn't support it.
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4 (Mako) - N4 Drivers
ROM: Mahdi w/ BaNkS Gapps || Radio: Hybrid Radio || Kernel: Hells Core b46
Mods: Exchange Email + NFC + LTE || Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0

Previous Android Phones:
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) - CM6 [Traded in]
HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2) - Miui [Got stolen]
HTC Doubleshot (T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide) - CM10 [Backup Device]

Get Dropbox for cloud storage! Use my link and we each get 500mb!

Tags
answers, halp me, help thread, help! my carrot cake won't rise., nexus 4, noob, questions, teh ph0n3 no turn on