Voters: 1137. You may not vote on this poll

[HELP THREAD] nexus4 Ask any question.

Tip us?

ifti_a
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrash View Post
cm builds have these extra quick settings, you can choose which ones you want to include in the quick settings. There is also the old quick toggle method available in cm build ROMs.

I am using Modaco's release of CM. It is very stable, a daily driver for me. He is on a weekly release cycle compiled from the nightlies, but you don't necessarily have to update every week. You can check it out at my signature.

IINM AOKP has this feature too, they have released build two recently and the feedback has been positive so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4
thanks for this feedback.
Phone : Nexus 5 32GB - AOKP Nightly 2014-01-14 - Faux 005m
Tablet : Motorola Xoom 32GB Wifi - BigPart Structure - EOS 4 Build 203

infinityPlusOne
Old
(Last edited by infinityPlusOne; 22nd January 2013 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Question Updated to CM10.1 Jan 19. Data no longer works with my SIM only.

So here's a head scratcher...

On Saturday, I updated to CM10.1 on my Nexus 4 which was previously running stock JB 4.2.1. I didn't leave home all weekend, and was connected to wifi the entire time, so I don't know if this problem just started today, or if it was an issue as soon as I flashed the ROM.

My carrier is MTS in Manitoba, Canada and I can only send/receive texts, and make phone calls. Data does not work. I've tried toggling it on/off, toggling airplane mode on/off. Tried rebooting the phone, reflashing the ROM, even doing a factory reset, but it just wont get 3G going.

Here's the weird thing. My co-worker also has a Nexus 4. He is with Rogers. We both popped out our SIMs and put them in each other's phone. My SIM card was able to get a data signal on his Nexus 4. Here's the crazy part. HIS SIM card was able to get a data signal on my Nexus 4. But when I put my SIM card back into my own phone, it doesn't work anymore.

So I've eliminated that there is an issue with my SIM. My data plan is intact. My phone is capable of getting a data signal... just not with my SIM.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Just got it working. Had to manually add the APN settings for MTS. There wasn't anything in the APN list, which is odd. Anyway, it works now.

-Asskicker-
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightosx View Post
Thank you for your reply. I managed to fix the problem with an APP called GPS Doctor.

The description for the app says:
"GPS Doctor works by clearing stale cached values that can mislead your GPS chip as it searches for your location, then injecting the correct values into the chip using data downloaded from NTP and XTRA servers."

So that seemed to be the solution to my problem.
I'm glad you figured it out! That sounds like a really useful app, I'll have to check it out.
Flashing roms with S-ON? (HTC Sensation) Read this!
Need help with your Nexus 4? Get it here!

Phone: Google Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 Experience - Stock
Tablet: Google Nexus 7 - OmniROM - Stock

3rdstring
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityPlusOne View Post
So here's a head scratcher...

On Saturday, I updated to CM10.1 on my Nexus 4 which was previously running stock JB 4.2.1. I didn't leave home all weekend, and was connected to wifi the entire time, so I don't know if this problem just started today, or if it was an issue as soon as I flashed the ROM.

My carrier is MTS in Manitoba, Canada and I can only send/receive texts, and make phone calls. Data does not work. I've tried toggling it on/off, toggling airplane mode on/off. Tried rebooting the phone, reflashing the ROM, even doing a factory reset, but it just wont get 3G going.

Here's the weird thing. My co-worker also has a Nexus 4. He is with Rogers. We both popped out our SIMs and put them in each other's phone. My SIM card was able to get a data signal on his Nexus 4. Here's the crazy part. HIS SIM card was able to get a data signal on my Nexus 4. But when I put my SIM card back into my own phone, it doesn't work anymore.

So I've eliminated that there is an issue with my SIM. My data plan is intact. My phone is capable of getting a data signal... just not with my SIM.

Any suggestions?
Check the APN settings
Chuck

Nexus 5 / Stock
Kindle Fire HD

YetiLanguste
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default S3 vs Nexus 4

1.I have compared my Nexus 4 vs a Samsung S3 by loading some apps and sites with same browser.
They were same fast, though Nexus 4 has better processor. Is this a software problem, that can be fixed with new updates?

2.When can we expect the new update 4.2.2?

3.Will the pinch to zoom delay bug be fixed with this update?

infinityPlusOne
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstring View Post
Check the APN settings
Yup. This was it. It had completely lost the APN settings for my carrier's network. I had to enter it manually and then it worked. How very odd.

Thanks for your help.

bassmadrigal
Old
Thanks Meter 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
Alright, about time I posted my own question.

I've noticed this happen at least 3 times since I've had my N4 now. Phone will hit 100% charging over night then stop charging and start discharging. I wake up and battery would've dropped into the low 90% (below 95%). I think it once dropped to about 87%.

Anyone know why it would stop charging like that? Phone registers that it's still plugged in.
Batteries will degrad if held at 100% consistently. Most ROMs will charge to 100% and then let the device drop to below 90% and then charge it again. I don't know if this is the issue or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylaan View Post
Once I got my Nexus 4 I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. I did this with the Nexus Toolkit. Everything worked ok so next I wanted to flash a custom recovery, CWM or TWRP. The problem is, it does not survive a reboot.

It flashes correctly, either from within the Nexus Toolkit or manually from fastboot, but once I reboot it's gone. This is not related to the recovery restore files which are present on the stock ROM, they were renamed by the Nexus Toolkit. I am now using AOKP which does not even have them.

If I try to reboot to recovery, the screen turns off and the the Google logo appears for a while. Then the screen turns off again, vibrates shortly, the Google logo comes on again for a short while and then the ROM boots up normally. Same thing if I go to the bootloader and then try to go to recovery from there.

The bootloader shows "lock state: unlocked" and "secure boot: enabled", which I think it's normal.

Any idea what I am doing wrong ?
Make sure with fastboot you are issuing the command fastboot flash and not fastboot boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlfriday View Post
Anyone can suggest a good free alternative to better battery stats? I use 2x battery free version but that is more a rudimentary battery maintenance tool rather than one that identifies rogue draining apps etc. I guess I am looking to marry the two functionalities in one app. Thanks!
BetterBatteryStats is available on xda for free for xda members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratturatci View Post
is there any way to activate usb mass storage mode ?
No, this only works for devices that have FAT32 partitions. The N4 is completely ext4 which is not supported by windows. This is why it is MTP only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puglife801 View Post
I am now on my second Nexus 4 and am experiencing the same problem as the first, which leads me to this post. I am now wondering if it is an error on my part rather than a flaw with the phone.

I cannot get my incoming SMS/MMS messaging vibration alert to work. The sound is working however, the phone is not vibrating.
I have went into the text settings and set the option to ALWAYS VIBRATE, yet it still is not working. Ive tried to also do "when silent" and I have tried to reboot the phone after selecting each.

I have included a screenshot of where I believe that the setting exists and how I have it set.

I am NOT (as far as I know) using any third party software such as Lightflow, that may alter this setting.

Any suggestions?

NOTE:
It DOES vibrate on incoming EMAILS
Maybe worth trying 3rd-party messaging apps. I use Handcent and I can customize the vibration pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal Ahmed View Post
Hi, I want to know where are the Paranoid Preferences stored in the sdcard.
I want to upload them into my cloud storage but can't find them
They probably aren't stored on the sdcard but rather somewhere in database under /data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcow13 View Post
I am trying to use my Nexus 4 in China using the provider China Telecom which happens to use CDMA/EvDo. I dialed *#*#4636#*#* to get into the phone settings to try and change the type of network it uses but when I switch it the preferred network to any of the other options it doesn't make any difference (although it did have the roaming symbol when I changed it once but I have not been able to replicate that experience). I have tried all the network options except the EvDo only option to no avail and I didn't try the EvDo option only because when I select it, it immediately reverts back to whatever it was previously. Also when I try to select the radio band, the process "unfortunately stopped". I figured this phone should be able to be used with China Telecom seeing as it is an unlocked phone and I have searched for a while with no use although I did find this but it didn't help. Any advice? Might Google or LG be able to help me out better?

TL;DR - Want to use my Nexus 4 with China Telecom, but its not working out.
This phone does not support CDMA networks. You need to be with a GSM provider.

Quote:
I made a backup in CWM but I cannot find it using a file explorer (its not present in /clockworkmod/backup)
But if I access through recovery, after choosing "install through zip", there is a option to choose from "0", "legacy" and "clockworkmod" folders. So when I see out through recovery, the backup is present there. How do I delete the backup?
It is most likely located under /sdcard/0/clockworkmod.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bassmadrigal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snapper.fishes
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Default Re: [HELP THREAD] Nexus 4. Ask any question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiLanguste View Post
1.I have compared my Nexus 4 vs a Samsung S3 by loading some apps and sites with same browser.
They were same fast, though Nexus 4 has better processor. Is this a software problem, that can be fixed with new updates?

2.When can we expect the new update 4.2.2?

3.Will the pinch to zoom delay bug be fixed with this update?
1. It might be a hardware problem. Loading speed depends on a number of factors, only one of which is the processor. Might be cellphone technology has reached a point where memory loading speed has become a bottleneck.

2. No words from Google yet.

3. Again, no words from Google yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to snapper.fishes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fenstre
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
I made a backup in CWM but I cannot find it using a file explorer
With a file explorer, find it in /data/media/clockworkmod. Within CWM, "/sdcard" means "/data/media", but within Android "/sdcard" means "/data/media/0". So within Android, the folder you want isn't below "/sdcard"--it's at sibling level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Batteries will degrad if held at 100% consistently. Most ROMs will charge to 100% and then let the device drop to below 90% and then charge it again. I don't know if this is the issue or something else.
No, that's not the issue. Mine dropped to 50% charge overnight. It was charging via computer/USB, and since then I've AC charged and it's never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
No, this only works for devices that have FAT32 partitions. The N4 is completely ext4 which is not supported by windows. This is why it is MTP only.
I'm not sure that's the whole reason. Rather, I think the filesystem is only safe to be written by one system at a time, and Android doesn't want to terminate all the other apps that are accessing /sdcard so it could hand control to the USB host.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenstre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snapper.fishes
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenstre View Post
I'm not sure that's the whole reason. Rather, I think the filesystem is only safe to be written by one system at a time, and Android doesn't want to terminate all the other apps that are accessing /sdcard so it could hand control to the USB host.
"It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time...

...We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better...

...With the unified storage model we introduced in Honeycomb, we share your full 32GB (or 16GB or whatever) between app data and media data. That is, no more staring sadly at your 5GB free on Nexus S when your internal app data partition has filled up -- it's all one big happy volume."

-Dan Morrill, Android Engineer-

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm..._mass_storage/

In short, MTP allows android to use the entire storage partition for apps instead of needing a dedicated partition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snapper.fishes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
answers, halp me, help thread, help! my carrot cake won't rise., nexus 4, noob, questions, teh ph0n3 no turn on