Voters: 1142. You may not vote on this poll

[HELP THREAD] nexus4 Ask any question.

Tip us?

bassmadrigal
Old
Thanks Meter 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3l_P3sc4d0r View Post
Many thanks to the two of you, especially to you, bassmadrigal, for the detailed answers.

1.) Ok, good to know. Is it even possible to root a device without installing a custom recovery or doing anything else "system critical"? As I can remember I rooted and changed the recovery allways simultaneously...

2.) I will give them a try, thanks for the recommendations. How is that working when you install an alternative launcher? Will the stock one get replaced or is the alternative just overlaying the stock one?

3.) In this case I will definitely try the custom roms. Maybe not now but certainly in a few weeks or month. I first want to get to know the stock rom before i switch to a custom rom.
Just out of curiosity I would like to know which custom roms are you two guys using?
1. Yes, you can run a recovery without actually flashing it using fastboot. Just run fastboot boot "c:\location\to\recovery.img". Doing this would allow you to flash the root package and retain the stock recovery. But you could always reflash the stock recovery as well.

2. As someone else mentioned, you can have both on your phone simultaneously. The first time you hit the home button after installing a second one, Android will ask you which one you want to use and whether to do it just once (it will ask you everytime you hit the home button) or always. It really isn't worth it to delete the stock one, because it resides on a different partition and won't affect available space on the phone.

3. I have always been a fan of CyanogenMod. Back in the earlier days of CM7 and prior, they were really big on just throwing all sorts of options in there. From CM9 on, they have taken a more professional approach and try to keep a ROM that doesn't stand out as custom. There are still a ton of features, but other ROMs have taken up on having all the options. Paranoid Android and AOKP are probably the two biggest ones that are just feature-laden (although, still extremely fast). CM does what I need it to. I've tried AOKP and it runs great, but I don't use all the extra options, so I felt it wasn't worth me running it. (My opinion might be biased as I am heavily involved in the CM forum as well as being a forum moderator there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunPanda View Post
Hey guys, I've got a few questions about flashing a custom ROM since this is my first Nexus.

1) How does everyone flash their ROMS? Through Recovery? I've noticed that the /sdcard/ that CWM accesses is different from the emulated space that the MTP lets you access through Windows.

2) How do you access the "/sdcard/" folder through Windows in order to clean up files? I've only been able to get files in by pushing them through adb but I don't know how to delete the *.zip file. I have the 8gb model and back-ups tend to take up their own share of room.

3) Is there a way of flashing a new ROM/Kernel through adb or fastboot? I've only heard of flashing a kernel with fastboot and an IMG file from franco's post.

Thanks
1. You should always be able to access the "sdcard" content under /data/media/0

2. You should be able to do it with just about any filebrowser. I personally use Root Explorer, which is like $5 on play store, but I feel that money was definitely well spent. Knowing everything I have done over the past almost 3 years of owning that app, I'd be willing to pay over $20 (don't tell the dev ).

3. Most custom kernels will come in a flashable zip that can be done in recovery. You can also manually extract the boot.img file from that zip and use fastboot to flash that (fastboot flash boot "c:\location\to\boot.img"), but if the kernel uses different modules from the stock ones, you will need to either flash the zip through recovery, or manually put the files in the filesystem and set the correct permissions.

If the kernel developer provides a flashable zip, I'd definitely go that route. It is much simpler
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bassmadrigal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vgrntbeauxner
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Ja View Post
...On a side note, on the off chance that I can get an answer here, has anyone had a problem with the gesture input for the stock keyboard since flashing the PA 2.99 30th Jan nightly?
This has happened to me also, on latest nightly (2013/02/03) and gapps. Trinity kernel 3.4.0. Not sure what to try, I've grown used to gesture typing though! Best ever.
Phone: LG Nexus 4
Recovery: openrecovery-twrp-2.3.2.3-mako
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf-ge039dcb
ROM: JOP40D
Baseband: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.33
HBOOT: -

phillipmc95
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: [HELP THREAD] Nexus 4. Ask any question.

What is the best custom ROM to run?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

tantan1892
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default APN AT&T

I'm on at&t, I have set many apn's & the speed test still the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-08-15-41-00.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1713524  

mark manning
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3028

DONATE TO ME

For those of you in Europe how does pre paid cell service work? I'm going to be in Belgium in earlier summer and don't want to have to pay T-Mobile out the A** to use a phone.

Sent from my Nexus[/QUOTE]
5 Million + Members Heads Are Better Than One

Noctus Nosfuratsu
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default only one?

Guys. Am I the only one that has a Li-ion battery in my nexus 4?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-08-14-28-49.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1713771  
Devices
current - Nexus 4
Rom- Paranoid android Possibly newest
Kernel-Franco Possibly the newest
Recovery-TWRP again Newest!

Retired- Iphone 4 (NOT THe S!)

mark manning
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3028

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctus Nosfuratsu View Post
Lol no. Every cell phone on the planet uses a lithium ion (li-ion) battery

Sent from my Nexus

DowntownJeffBrown
Old
Thanks Meter 3362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctus Nosfuratsu View Post
Actually from what I hear most apps read the lithium polymer battery in the N4 as a lithium ion for some reason. Probably because its new technology. But the N4 has a lithium polymer battery don't worry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to DowntownJeffBrown For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mark manning
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3028

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJeffBrown View Post
Actually from what I hear most apps read the lithium polymer battery in the N4 as a lithium ion for some reason. Probably because its new technology. But the N4 has a lithium polymer battery don't worry.

I feel retarded :what:

Learn something new everyday

Sent from my Nexus

DowntownJeffBrown
Old
Thanks Meter 3362

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark manning View Post
I feel retarded :what:

Learn something new everyday

Sent from my Nexus

Its what makes us human brother.:thumbup:

The Following User Says Thank You to DowntownJeffBrown For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
answers, halp me, help thread, help! my carrot cake won't rise., nexus 4, noob, questions, teh ph0n3 no turn on