Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Help i am new - unlock bootloader - root- flash kernel otg [SOLVED]

OP thearing

7th May 2014, 09:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Hello everybody!
I am from Argentina, sorry for my bad english!
I have a Nexus 4. The phone had never a modification...
I want get root access in the phone, i understand that i have to unlock the bootloader but...
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm), this process may unlock the bootloader automatically? And could give me root access?

And another question:
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm)...
Can i then flash the phone with "franco.kernel" to get USB OTG?

Thanks and very sorry for my bad english!
Last edited by thearing; 8th May 2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Change title -SOLVED
7th May 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #2  
meatboy371's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 222
 
376 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearing

Hello everybody!
I am from Argentina, sorry for my bad english!
I have a Nexus 4. The phone had never a modification...
I want get root access in the phone, i understand that i have to unlock the bootloader but...
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm), this process may unlock the bootloader automatically? And could give me root access?

And another question:
if i install CM (following the easy steps of the website get.cm)...
Can i then flash the phone with "franco.kernel" to get USB OTG?

Thanks and very sorry for my bad english!

You need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash a custom rom. But it's easy! Here is a guide (including how to root):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...guide-t2018179

About Franco Kernel... Franco's is AOSP based, CM is CAF. It may work, but with wrong colours (or it may cause bootloops). Look for a CM/CAF basedkernel with usb-otg support in the Development forum, or take a look at this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...l-otg-t2586524
7th May 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatboy371

You need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash a custom rom. But it's easy! Here is a guide (including how to root):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...guide-t2018179

About Franco Kernel... Franco's is AOSP based, CM is CAF. It may work, but with wrong colours (or it may cause bootloops). Look for a CM/CAF basedkernel with usb-otg support in the Development forum, or take a look at this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...l-otg-t2586524

Hello meatboy371, thanks for your answer...
So, does the installation program of CM does not unlock the bootloader? I have to do it manually?
Look this (is a website):
wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/CyanogenMod_Installer

Do I need to root my phone before installing?
No. You can have a rooted phone, or not. The installer doesn't care. However, to be in a supported configuration, you need to be running a stock ROM.
Do I need to unlock my bootloader first?
No, you don't. If your bootloader is locked, we'll unlock it for you.


So, can i install CM in my phone without any modifications?
And then, will the bootloader unlock automatically?

Thanks and sorry for my english!
The Following User Says Thank You to thearing For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2014, 02:35 AM   |  #4  
blusydays's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68
 
143 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearing

Hello meatboy371, thanks for your answer...
So, does the installation program of CM does not unlock the bootloader? I have to do it manually?
Look this (is a website):
wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/CyanogenMod_Installer

The installer from Cyanogen WILL unlock your bootloader and root your N4 automatically, you don't need any third party app or doing it manually, I did it on my N4 when i got it and everything went fine BUT the process will erase everything on your phone, so be aware of what your doing.
Last edited by blusydays; 8th May 2014 at 02:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blusydays For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusydays

The installer from Cyanogen WILL unlock your bootloader and root your N4 automatically, you don't need any third party app or doing it manually, I did it on my N4 when i got it and everything went fine BUT the process will erase everything on your phone, so be aware of what your doing.

Wow, thanks brother!
I will install CM this night!"

Two questions more:
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, change the recovery?
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, can i then put the franco.kernel for get OTG?

Very very thanks and sorry for my english!
8th May 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #6  
meatboy371's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 222
 
376 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearing

Wow, thanks brother!
I will install CM this night!"

Two questions more:
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, change the recovery?
When i have installed CM from Cyanogen, can i then put the franco.kernel for get OTG?

Very very thanks and sorry for my english!

I didn't know that CM installer unlocks the bootloader (i used to flash CM roms from recovery), thanks for the info.

About the kernel, you'll need to find a CM version of Franco's to work with CM roms, like I said before (look at development forum).
About the recovery, I don't know, but if it isn't changed by the CM installer, you can easily flash using fastboot. You can try TWRP, CMW or PhilZ, there are threads for those with step-by-step guides to flash.
8th May 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Thumbs up
Thanks meatboy371!!!
Thanks blusydays!!!

SOLVED!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes