Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Hey guys, newbie here, got a question

OP Almayce

25th January 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 135

373 posts
I am sorry if what im about to ask is already posted somewhere (probably is), but this forum is pretty vast and I couldnt find what im looking for. The question is this, Im using Vanir ROM. Now with the inbuilt kernel I had around 20k benchmark on antutu. I flash hells core, excited to see any difference and whoop, i got 14k. Also i checked the part with 3D testing and fps was higher for about 5-7 points. So what Im asking is this,What is the meaning of this and also how can I, how to put it to not sound noobish, tweak the kernel to perform/save battery etc.?Because Im assuming thats not the top what HellsCore kernel can do, am I right? Or if you guys have any kernels to recommend, all is appreciated. Also if this helps, Im using Nexus 4, Vanir ROM(as posted above) and dont know what else would you need to know to answer.

Thanks in advance

/So I rebooted and now I am on 20840 for some reason.
Last edited by Almayce; 25th January 2014 at 01:32 AM. Reason: reboot/different results
25th January 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 197

1,159 posts
Benchmarks are not very conclusive abnout anything. Each phone is different each user has different needs and how and where there phone is used. Everyone will tell u to try this kernel and that kernel but u just have to find one that works for you

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
26th January 2014, 02:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

373 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymeatb18

Benchmarks are not very conclusive abnout anything. Each phone is different each user has different needs and how and where there phone is used. Everyone will tell u to try this kernel and that kernel but u just have to find one that works for you

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

I get that, i was more concerned about those numbers. Why did it drop to 14k and then went to 20k again.
26th January 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 394

2,036 posts
Probably some patches were included in the rom's kernel, which can affect the scores.
When you flashed another kernel (helldoctor), you stopped using these patches, so scores went down.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to RASTAVIPER For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #5  
Flag MUMBAI
Thanks Meter: 632

251 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almayce

I am sorry if what im about to ask is already posted somewhere (probably is), but this forum is pretty vast and I couldnt find what im looking for. The question is this, Im using Vanir ROM. Now with the inbuilt kernel I had around 20k benchmark on antutu. I flash hells core, excited to see any difference and whoop, i got 14k. Also i checked the part with 3D testing and fps was higher for about 5-7 points. So what Im asking is this,What is the meaning of this and also how can I, how to put it to not sound noobish, tweak the kernel to perform/save battery etc.?Because Im assuming thats not the top what HellsCore kernel can do, am I right? Or if you guys have any kernels to recommend, all is appreciated. Also if this helps, Im using Nexus 4, Vanir ROM(as posted above) and dont know what else would you need to know to answer.

Thanks in advance

/So I rebooted and now I am on 20840 for some reason.

Anututu and other benchmarks depend on a number of factors/conditions which affect the final result . The major conditions which affect it result are below
1) The CPU temperature !! When ur phone gets hot the CPU throttle will automatically reduce the active cores and the clock speed to cool down your CPU !! This results in decrease in performance !! When you flash new kernels its possible that ur phone is hot and hence performance decreases
2) Using your phone while running tests also affect the results . for eg if there is a notification during the test or background sync going on it will affect the result
3) probably the kernel packed with vanir had 4 cores active all the time to increase scores and hells core has just 2 cores active ( at a given moment) will mean decreased performance

The ideal way to test kernels is as follows
1) Dirty flash your ROM before flashing kernel
2) Reboot your device after the first boot
3) Let it settle down for an hour
4) turn of data/WiFi during the test
5) see the kernels specs( like cores active/the maximum CPU speed) through an app like trickster/faux clock
6) Now run the test
7) after test let your phone cool down for 15 mins
8) repeat the test a few times and take the average of all scores

Kindly hit the thanks button as a token of appreciation
The Following User Says Thank You to NABENDU1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #6  
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 726

1,519 posts
Antutu was never accurate if you ask me. Sometimes it goes down and the other it went up..so..
26th January 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

373 posts
I see, thank you guys.
26th January 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 835

1,603 posts
Donate to Me
Benchmarks are like putting makeup on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread