Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,289 Members 36,049 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Horrendous battery drain on 3g since KitKat - Stock unrooted

Tip us?

safekidda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Battery Full [Q] Horrendous battery drain on 3g since KitKat - Stock unrooted

Since upgrading to KitKat (4.4.2) using the Google factory image and the flash-all I have had horrendous battery life. I've gone from 24-36 hours of battery to about 5-6 hours and I'm a fairly minimal user.

The drain seems to be coming from Android OS, in particular the Keep Awake is often 1-3 hours. After reading about others with the problem I did a factory reset and this seemed to resolve the issue but it's come back again. It's funny because it's fine at home, I've gone most of Christmas with no problems. Then I've come back to work and straight away my battery is getting kaned again.

I can't look for wakelocks because I'm not rooted and don't want to root. However I've tried experimenting by turning off location services, turning off wifi, and finally I've turned data off and this has done the trick. I'm wondering if it is something to do with 3g because I don't have any problem when on wifi at home.

The only thing I'm wondering is if I've got the right version of the radio, I had some problems when I was flashing so I did it again, everything seems fine but is there any way to tell if I've got the right radio rom?

Thanks in advance
Nick.

bladebuddy
Old
Thanks Meter 96
If you're data signal is weak it would use more power then say a good signal. Try using 2g only and see if that's any better.
How did you flash via adb I presume or OTA . Did you not flash the latest radio.
The end of your baseband number in settings will tell you what radical you're on , latest I believe is 98.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

safekidda
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for suggestion but where I am sat has excellent signal (green in the mobile network signal under battery stats), I'm in the city centre sat in exactly the same spot I have been in for the last 18 months. This only started happening immediately after the 'upgrade' to KitKat.

I flashed using adb with the phone in fastboot. I did it like this to get a clean install because I've previously rooted the phone and I was having issues with the OTA update.

My baseband version is M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.98, is this correct?

As I've said previously I do not wish to root the phone again. It's possible this is not necessarily 3g, it might just be one of the apps having a wakelock but it becomes more evident on a 3g connection.

Is there any way I can get to the bottom of a wakelock on KitKat witout root?

bladebuddy
Old
Thanks Meter 96
The best way would probably be to uninstall each app one by one until you find the culprit , without root thought any game progress e.t.c will be lost unless it can be saved.
Checking only the apps that require data like Facebook e.t.c. will speed things up a bit.
Is anything showing under the inbuilt battery app ?.
Sorry but that's all I can think of , maybe someone with more knowledge can help. J

Scythe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
This was a problem for me when when stocked and unrooted, and without root you can not determine the real problem because battery stats will not be detailed enough. But problem is probably msm_hsic_host or something like that which is consume battery when phone is in sleep and even data is off. Actually some app is requesting data (which is off) and 3g modem keeps phone awake. My advice will be, fully charge your phone, from setting select 2g connection, data disabled(auto sync also), reboot your phone if battery is lower than %100 charge again and use it or do this before bed and sleep . Your problem would be solved for this condition. Some say google adressed this issue in 4.3 and 4.4 but I think it is still there for some reasons. BTW use 3g network only for internet otherwise it is just a battery drain, you gain nothing in terms of talk quality(and swithching between 2g and 3g is really painful). I solve my problem by rooting and install xposed framework and install gravity box and use status bar switches to change between 2g and 3g and believe me it is wonderful(no ART unfortunately). I know I talked too much but mai problem is probably 3g modem and you need root to solve it

korkuadam
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrye View Post
This was a problem for me when when stocked and unrooted, and without root you can not determine the real problem because battery stats will not be detailed enough. But problem is probably msm_hsic_host or something like that which is consume battery when phone is in sleep and even data is off. Actually some app is requesting data (which is off) and 3g modem keeps phone awake. My advice will be, fully charge your phone, from setting select 2g connection, data disabled(auto sync also), reboot your phone if battery is lower than %100 charge again and use it or do this before bed and sleep . Your problem would be solved for this condition. Some say google adressed this issue in 4.3 and 4.4 but I think it is still there for some reasons. BTW use 3g network only for internet otherwise it is just a battery drain, you gain nothing in terms of talk quality(and swithching between 2g and 3g is really painful). I solve my problem by rooting and install xposed framework and install gravity box and use status bar switches to change between 2g and 3g and believe me it is wonderful(no ART unfortunately). I know I talked too much but mai problem is probably 3g modem and you need root to solve it
Fotoğraf yakıyor kardeş
Bende de var vallahi aynı sorun ama 2gde ve kernelliyim.Dur bir soriyim yabancılar.
İ have the same issue too,only with some minor differences,such as im always using 2g,im rooted,at the stock rom and also have a franco kernel installed on N4.What can i do sometimes?

bladebuddy
Old
Thanks Meter 96
4636v2 app from the play store will allow you to switch 2g / 3g without root. In fact there's quite a few apps that do that no need for exposed or root if that's the way you want to go.