Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,342 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can I ROOT without wipe and run app Undelete to recover deleted photos?

Tip us?

hellffer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How can I ROOT without wipe and run app Undelete to recover deleted photos?

Hi!

[First of all, sorry for bad english ]

I have Nexus 4 E960
Android 4.4.2

I want to recover some photos I have deleted a week ago!
And for this I need to run app Undelete, but to run this app, need ROOT and unlock bootloader
But I DON'T WANT to ROOT and WIPE the phone (because it will make the deleted photos "cache" disappear too, right?

So, complicated situation! haha
Can please someone help me?

Thank you so much for your attention!

rboklewski
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellffer View Post
Hi!

[First of all, sorry for bad english ]

I have Nexus 4 E960
Android 4.4.2

I want to recover some photos I have deleted a week ago!
And for this I need to run app Undelete, but to run this app, need ROOT and unlock bootloader
But I DON'T WANT to ROOT and WIPE the phone (because it will make the deleted photos "cache" disappear too, right?

So, complicated situation! haha
Can please someone help me?

Thank you so much for your attention!

Anybody have any info on this? I am in the same boat here.

RohMish
Old
(Last edited by RohMish; 26th March 2014 at 05:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
As much as i know, you once have to unlock bootloader with full wipe (this is required for flashing superSU which in turn is required for things like Bootunlocker.)
I have never tried this but does adb pull work for cache? you can get a copy of your cache with it. Also stock gallery stores thumbnails, these are not high quality and without root, they may only be option.
Device: Google Nexus 4, GTab 2 7.0, Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy note 2 n7100
ROM/OS: PA 4.2 BETA2, Stock Rooted, SlimBean (4.1), CM 10.1
Launcher: Nova Launcher Prime, Trebuchet 0.1.5, Smart launcher Pro, Nova Launcher Prime
Class of Sdcard: N/A, 16GB(class6) all,
Clocked: 384MHz~1512 MHz, 700MHz~1200MHz, 200~1008MHz, 700-1200MHz.
Past: Samsung Galaxy Apollo, SE w200i & w700i, Nokia 1100 & Communicator 9500, Motorola Atrix.

rboklewski
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohMish View Post
As much as i know, you once have to unlock bootloader with full wipe (this is required for flashing superSU which in turn is required for things like Bootunlocker.)
I have never tried this but does adb pull work for cache? you can get a copy of your cache with it. Also stock gallery stores thumbnails, these are not high quality and without root, they may only be option.

EEEEK...No way of rooting without unlocking bootloader huh?

captaindyson
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Not sure how undelete works, but you are better off using diskdigger, you can root and use this as when you delete something it is not removed from the storage, it just removes the link to the files location and says that the location can now be overwritten. This means that if it is not overwritten then the data is still there, this is what diskdigger uses.

This also means you don't want to write any more data to your phone than is necessary until you recover your files as this will increase the chance of corrupting them.
(Rooting is write heavy)

The way to recover without rooting is to mount your phone to your computer as an external storage device then run the desktop disk digger application targeted at the phone storage, this should recover the files.
http://diskdigger.org

Note: this will recover all the files that have traces left on the drive so be prepared to trawl through them all looking for what you want.

Hope this helps, post back if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk