5,596,857 Members 48,856 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to copy CWM backups to PC from /mnt/shell/emulated?

Tip us?

jasonwc
Old
(Last edited by jasonwc; 8th December 2012 at 03:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Default How to copy CWM backups to PC from /mnt/shell/emulated?

So, CWM saves its backups and blob directory in /mnt/shell/emulated which is not accessible via MTP. I've started using TWRP for all my new backups but I would like to copy the existing CWM backups to my PC before wiping the directory on my phone. It's currently using 8-9 GB. However, when I try to move the directory from /mnt/shell/emulated to a directory in a directory in /sdcard, the move operation ends instantly and nothing is copied. I'm wondering if the problem is that I don't have enough free space. I've got about 2.5 GB free.

EDIT: It appears that you need to have enough space to copy the entire directory before deleting it. The phone ran out of space halfway through a file copy using ES File Explorer. I guess that's why Root Explorer won't allow the move to begin.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonwc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peachpuff
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Use adb to pull the directory to your computer, adb pull /mnt/shell/emulated
Captivate + cm7
HP Touchpad + cm9
SGS2 + cm9
Galaxy Nexus + CNA
LG Nexus 4 + AOKP
LG Nexus 5
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peachpuff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dralways
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I would like to do this as well like I used to do with older versions of CWM on my Gnex. Then it was as easy as moving the large backup file found in /sdcard/clockworkmod/ folder.

I just tried that adb pull command mentioned in the post above and this starts to copy the entire contents of my phone to some unknown source on my PC (I can't find where?).

How would one go about simply backing up a CWM nandroid restore file onto a PC?

peachpuff
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralways View Post
I just tried that adb pull command mentioned in the post above and this starts to copy the entire contents of my phone to some unknown source on my PC (I can't find where?).
It copies to the directory that you ran the adb command from, so if you run abd from c:\windows\apps\adb it'll copy the files there
Captivate + cm7
HP Touchpad + cm9
SGS2 + cm9
Galaxy Nexus + CNA
LG Nexus 4 + AOKP
LG Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to peachpuff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jasonwc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpuff View Post
Use adb to pull the directory to your computer, adb pull /mnt/shell/emulated
Thanks for the help. I don't know why I didn't think to do that myself.

dushan90
Old
Thanks Meter 18

DONATE TO ME
Create a folder on your computer and open the command prompt from that directory. And then run adb pull /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backup

This way only the backups will be copied to your pc, not the whole storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to dushan90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]