[Q] How to save files from soft bricked Nexus 4

Search This thread

SoolMed

Sep 19, 2014
Hi all; I have a soft bricked Nexus 4. I need a way to save it without wiping the files. I have an audio file I need to rescue from the phone. All online solutions I have found so far assume that I can access the phone features/settings (I can't) or that I can remove the battery (I can't - it's a Nexus 4). The phone is stuck in recovery mode.

I'd be hugely appreciative if anyone can tell me how to either:

A) retrieve my audio file from the phone
or
B) unbrick the phone without losing data

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Do you have a custom recovery or are you stock? Also, is your bootloader unlocked?

What did you do to get in the condition the phone is on now?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

SoolMed

Sep 19, 2014
Do you have a custom recovery or are you stock? Also, is your bootloader unlocked?

What did you do to get in the condition the phone is on now?

Thanks, jd1639. I *think* the only thing that happened was that the battery went dead. The battery is not dead now.

Recovery Mode screen says fastboot mode and it says locked.

I guess I am stock? I don't do anything fancy to my phone. I'm too much of a noob.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks, jd1639. I *think* the only thing that happened was that the battery went dead. The battery is not dead now.

Recovery Mode screen says fastboot mode and it says locked.

I guess I am stock? I don't do anything fancy to my phone. I'm too much of a noob.

Is it working now? If it isn't you'll not be able to recover your file. Doing anything will wipe the device.